cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help!

Pack2rule
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone - new here and we are looking at a 2005 Starcraft travelstar 21SB. I would love to hear the good and the bad. Also I can not seem to get an idea of what we should pay. Asking price is $9000. Anyone know if that is a good price. We love the idea of three beds so each daughter has her own and we have ours. We need lighter weight as my enclave will pull up to 5000lbs. Please whatever you can offer me. Thank you!
13 REPLIES 13

SommerWL
Explorer
Explorer
I would proceed with caution and get yourself up to expert status on all of the weight parameters: Gross combined, axle, tow. You will be pushing the limits with that rig. I'm sure the truck can pull the trailer, but it's a bad day coming DOWN the mountain when you discover you can't stop the rig.

With 6 average adults in seats and towing my rig for a full summer jaunt, I'm 700# over GCWR with my Suburban towing a 19' Rockwood Roo (tanks empty). I was surprised I was over when I hit the scales. (Where did that weight come from...we packed light?!) I only proceeded because all axle weights, tongue weight and other parameters were still in limits. Needless to say, I drive VERY conservatively on mountain roads.
The Wife, Tres Boys, The Dog
'11 Suburban K1500
2013 Rockwood Roo 19

poppin_fresh
Explorer
Explorer
PAThwacker wrote:
So how is the traverse towing the 18sb in the green mountains? Down south in the pokes our V8 trailblazer had plenty of problems towing the htt.

The Traverse does pretty well on the secondary roads where the speed is up to 55 MPH. I hardly even know its back there most of the time.

On the interstate where higher speed and wind drag is more pronounced its definitely a little underpowered on the hills. Its not unusual for it to rev pretty good to maintain 60-65mph up the longer grades. A little more torque would be nice, but in general its not the worst towing experience.

Jon
2016 Bullet 274BHS
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Andersen WDH

Rookiecamper
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a link to the NADA book value. As mentioned before, don't add in any of the "extras". Of course, this is just a guide and the actual condition can sway the price in either direction.
Me~Jim,58
DW~Patty, no comment

2017 Expedition
2014 Starcraft Launch 21FBS

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I still like the suggestion that I read on these forums a long time ago....keep your tow weight around 70-80% of the recommended maximum weight. You'll have a much more pleasant towing experience and the tow vehicle will last longer. It's said so often...it's not a matter of whether a vehicle can tow it, but rather do you really want to do it and push the limits.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Do check for water damage (soft floor) by the front sink at the small wall that separates the pass thru storage from the cabin. You can also tell by climbing underneath and checking that the waterproof membrane is still tight against the bottom sheet of plywood, water intrusion will make it sag down and feel spongy. I'd suggest bringing along a creeper, might feel odd using it but it beats buying a damaged unit.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Nada shows a bogus "dry" weight of 3426lbs.
so, it's actual UVW/sticker weight from the factory, will be around 3800lbs.
so, loaded for camping, it'll probably weigh at least 4300-4500lbs.

now your Enclave's 5000lbs. towing capacity is rated with only a 150lb. driver in it. any other passengers or cargo in the car, will lower that 5000 number by each of their weights.

bottom line: you'll be at or maybe over the max capacity of the Enclave.
you'll have to load light and not carry water.
but stay away from any mountains, you'll burn that Buick up.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Hoosierdaddy47
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't touch it. My Antigua is a twin of the 21 SB. The GVWR on my trailer is 5000 lbs; fully togged out, mine is north of 4500. The tow rating on the Enclave, WITH the tow pkg., is also 4500. That's for the FWD model. Add AWD, it'll be less. IF Buick even allows it with AWD! My Durango has 50HP and 105 lbs of torque on the Buick, and I am rarely unaware the trailer is back there! And with the Enclave being a unit-body vehicle, I would stick with something much smaller.
2004 Antigua 215 SB
2006 Durango Adventurer Hemi
Tekonsha Prodigy P3
DW-Indeterminate age
DD-16
DS-13
Olivia-Torkie
Balthazar-Italian Greyhound
Check my group (NOT page!) on Facebook-Hybrid Travel Trailer Camping

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
Believe it or not I did see a Buick Enclave towing a 28' Airstream this summer.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
So how is the traverse towing the 18sb in the green mountains? Down south in the pokes our V8 trailblazer had plenty of problems towing the htt.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

poppin_fresh
Explorer
Explorer
IMO, that price seems a little high for late in the season sale. Have you checked to make sure its been well maintained and is leak free? Any signs of water intrusion are bad for a trailer. I would make sure the caulking on the roof is in good shape meaning the previous owners kept on it.

I have a similar TV to yours (Traverse), but my 18SB is about 800lbs less. Mine tows ok and I have never felt unsafe but it could use more low end power.

I think you will be very close to maxed out in every weight with that trailer and TV. You will need to be very careful in how much stuff you bring along. It will probably be ok on lower speed roads, but it will not be too fun on hilly interstate. I would plan on a larger TV in the near future and I wouldn't plan any real long trips.
2016 Bullet 274BHS
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Andersen WDH

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Triple check your towing by contacting Buick with your VIN#....before you sign on the dotted line.

On the price, IMHO it's high. We just sold our immaculate Rockwood ROO 23SS for $9500 with a ton of extras....Equalizer hitch with sway, brand new tires with only about 1500 miles on them, Adco winter cover, outdoor rug, linens for both beds for summer and winter, propane grill that attached to the exterior, PopUp Gizmos, and a bunch of extras I can't even remember. I'm not totally familiar with the model you're looking at, so can't compare that, but ours had been stored undercover since shortly after Day #1 and if you set it next to a brand new one, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. Others that are more familiar with that model can probably offer better advice, but I would think in the $6000 - $7000 bracket if it's in near perfect condition would be reasonable. Suggest you do plenty of homework on both your tow vehicle and comps on that camper. If you haven't run the NADA numbers, suggest you do that. Enter only the year, make and model WITHOUT any extras like A/C or awning. Those don't really count with NADA. That should give you a good ballpark. Good luck.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

Pack2rule
Explorer
Explorer
We have a full tow package on it so it can pull more then a plain enclave.

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Are you referring to a Buick Enclave? If so, Buick says it can tow 2000 lbs not 5000 lbs.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."