cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here's my favorite TC from the 2013 Overland Expo

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
I saw several Truck Campers that made me drool during the Expo, but this one REALLY got my attention. A 4x4 Unimog with a flatbed, pop-up TC. This combo can go almost anywhere.

Just need the cash to make it happen. 🙂
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.
60 REPLIES 60

seldomseensmith
Explorer II
Explorer II
While this rig certainly has a wow factor, it is not the type of unit the average person will ever be able to build or afford. And I found it amusing that despite all the custom mods "geared" (pun intended) towards off-roading, he still managed to get the thing stuck in the Utah desert.

I'll keep my humble 3/4 ton truck and pop-up combo, thank you very much.
The Road Goes Ever On

2008 F250 SD 4x4 Supercab, Detroit TrueTrac, Hellwig LP 35, 2006 Outfitter Caribou 6.5

NMace
Explorer
Explorer
How do you tuck the sides in when you lower the top?
2002 Silverado 6L 1500 HD 4x4 Crew Cab
2011 Puma 295 KBHSS

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Where we go this would be much too large a vehicle, might as well have a motorhome. These have recently been completely redesigned by Mercedes.

niftypkg
Explorer
Explorer
DIY, I did! I mounted a 9' Sunlite pop-up on my F-250 2000 diesel. I call it an OMG. ( Oh My Gosh)

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
TCM just published an article written by the owner of this Unimog Truck Camper. A fascinating read. Lots of customization.

Unimog U500 Truck Camper Article
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
m37charlie wrote:
The original post is a U500. Short wheelbase, with non stock 16.00R20 XZLs.

Charlie

Thanks, Charlie.
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

m37charlie
Explorer
Explorer
The original post is a U500. Short wheelbase, with non stock 16.00R20 XZLs.

Charlie

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Can anybody confirm that this model of Unimog is a U500?
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

m37charlie
Explorer
Explorer
And as I've previously mentioned, about 40,000 of my 60K miles have been in Australia, N. Africa, Europe and otherwise outside of the USA (maybe 50K if Alaska counts as outside USA) - much on dirt roads, a little on very bad roads. Does the Rudall River NP in Western Australia ring a bell with Valhalla360? Probably not, but 4WD is helpful in getting there. Just a small example. Look at where egn has been.
Not AT ALL atypical of other owners of expedition trucks I know.
I have stayed in KOA exactly once.

Charlie

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
You're missing the point. I agree, these trucks can go places your average pickup truck can't. My point is the evidence I've found is most are just trophies that never used for their designed purpose.

That is a US thing, it does not apply here. ALL of them here end up Off Road or being used as an Expedition vehicle to travel parts of Asia, Africa etc.

Tony Lee from Australia, OKA and TC posts on this site and this is one of his 4 RV Vehicles. The others are Motorhomes he uses in the US, Europe and Australia.You can PM him.
OKA with unconventional TC

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
RobertRyan wrote:
Valhalla360 wrote:
'm not saying these rigs couldn't go places my F250 & pickup camper wouldn't be able to but the evidence suggests most of them never do

Crossing streams that cover the body of the TC is a big no no for a conventional TC. The 6 X6 things go through some very steep mud trails.
ON THE OTHER HAND if you are basically using a tarred road and SOME light dirt roads a normal 4 X4 Pickup will do.

You're missing the point. I agree, these trucks can go places your average pickup truck can't. My point is the evidence I've found is most are just trophies that never used for their designed purpose.

I see the same thing when we are cruising on our boat. The bigger the boat, the more likely it sits at a marina and never goes out.

Maybe the guy who keeps going on about jealousy really does use them for thier design purpose but if he does he's the rare individual.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

btggraphix
Explorer
Explorer
rjsurfer wrote:
Totally useless in the East.....

Unless, maybe, I don't know....you get a hurricane or a blizzard and still need to get somewhere? Do those ever happen on the east coast?

Useless on an overgrown Jeep trail? Maybe. Useless in a downtown parking garage? Probably. A blanket statement of "useless" for the entire east region is pretty....well....useless.
2006 LanceMax 1191 - loaded and well-used
2005 C4500/Kodiak 4x4, GVWR 17,500

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Charlie, what do you mean "secret" jealousy? Some of us are quite openly jealous. I am not sure I would like to actually own a monster truck, but I would sure love to borrow one for a couple of weeks. The RV rental firms are missing a potential market -- imagine a Unimog with a big "CruiseAmerica" sticker on the side!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

m37charlie
Explorer
Explorer
rjsurfer wrote:
Totally useless in the East.....

But I could drive down the block and make the neighbors think it's garbage day.

Ron W.

That is the kind of smarmy, sarcastic comment that I was referring to. Also reeks of secret jealousy.

Charlie