cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hints for Truck Camping at Glacier

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm heading out to Yellowstone in a couple of weeks, and thinking about dropping back by Glacier for a day or two. I haven't camped in the Glacier area, but it looks like there are lots of choices on National Park vs National Forest and all are in the same general area.

Do you have thoughts about which is more convenient for something like a truck camper if you've done both. I can't decide if it's worth making reservations or not. BTW, I'll have a dog with me, so I'd prefer not to have a super busy campground. She's not a barker, but I'd still rather her not be harassed by too much noise.

Yeah, I know a day or two isn't enough time, but I can go back again. 🙂

BTW, at Yellowstone we tend to drive enough to keep the batteries charged. I'm not sure if that will be the case at Glacier or not. My builtin generator doesn't exactly meet the 60 db limit at NPs, so that is a consideration as well. ... there's always solar, but I don't have a lot of time to make a change like that.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member
6 REPLIES 6

Oldtymeflyr
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think you will have trouble finding a place in Glacier. We were last there at the end of July 2014, and we found places to stay in the park.

On the east side consider Cut Bank, its off a dirt/gravel road, this is not a good road, it is secluded, quiet and very much out of the way. Good hiking. There is a small stream with small trout that will easily come to a fly. Hike your way up stream to just below Medicine Grizzly Lake and you should do well. Again this is well out of the way.

On the west side we like Sprague Creek, very good sites for a TC and its kinda in the middle of the action. The shuttle to the top stops at the entrance so you can park the rig for a trip to the top and a hike off of the summit. Lots of Mountain Goats, a good hike to the south, take your binocs.

To get to Kintla Lake Campground and a bunch of other campgrounds in the northwest area, you will want to go on the North Fork Road, its off of 486 out of Columbia Falls. You are basically going to Polebridge, crossing a good bridge and then accessing several campgrounds in the area to the east of Polebridge and on the west side of Glacier. These campgrounds are remote like Cut Bank. They may or may not be open, there may still be too much snow. Check with rangers first. The fishing should be good. Some campgrounds do not allow any generators. Solar can be tough because of the trees.

On the west side of Hungry Horse Res. There are numerous pull outs for boondocking. This is a good place to visit regardless.

If you want more amenities try San Suz Ed for a private campground. Older but clean. They have a good kitchen if you want breakfast, lunch maybe dinner. The people are nice when we were there.

Glacier can be very wet. Bring good rain gear and keep it handy.

Have a good trip.

Rick

54suds
Explorer
Explorer
Kintla lake north west Glacier

me and unknown tc' er with the then oldest active Ranger he was in his 90'sand ran the site by himself .
'
2021 Chev 6.6 duramax ltz DBL cab,drw,4x/torklift tdn's,
1999 Bigfoot 1011

2BLAZERS
Explorer
Explorer
Glacier Campground is great for truck campers. And it is spaced out so your not window to window with your neighbor. It is about 1 mile from the park entrance.
2016 Dodge Ram 3500 CC Dually Cummins,Aisin,Laramie,4*4,4.10,14K
2017 Stealth WA2916 Toyhauler
2011 Arctic Fox 1150 Drybath
2017 Polaris 1000 XP Sportsman
2009 Polaris RZR w/fun parts
2014 Polaris 850 HO Scrambler
1977 K5 Blazer 1ton'd
2005 Pace Enclosed Toybox

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are numerous campgrounds in the Flathead NF, on the west side of Glacier. Many are on either Flathead Lake or Hungry Horse Reservoir. Devil Creek is almost right on US2, which is the southern boundary of GNP.

Go to uscampgrounds.info and forestcamping.com for locations and info on NF campgrounds. The first site also shows state parks, city parks, COE campgrounds.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Bedlam
There is a truck camper rally at Glacier in August. You should contact the organizers for places to stay and things to do:

http://forms.natcoa.net/MTRally2016.php

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
My favorite is Many Glacier. Amazing place, close to a lot but away from most. Biggest issue is that the campground fills up really fast so can be a issue.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks