cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitch Installation

Charley67
Explorer
Explorer
I have just purchased a 2009 3500 DWR Dodge diesel 4x4. I'm going to buy a used 5er. My truck came with a B&W gooseneck hitch, which I don't need. My question is, will that hitch need to be removed before I can install a regular 5er hitch? BTW, this my first post. I've lurked here for quite a while.
18 REPLIES 18

DirtyOil
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
Just the Curt adapter plate alone costs almost as much as the entire Andersen Ultimate setup. I didn't price the B&W Turnover since I thought it would not work with a round shank.

This is not some thing I need right now, but it can be something I can look for used or pick up at discount if I know what fits.

That price is Canadian dollars, I'm positive its a heck of a lot cheaper below the 49th.

LOL - oops I just looked at Curt site... not much difference in price, unless you bought up here at $.75US/Cdn dollar... 25% cheaper... 🙂

Ok, searched again... Etrailers - http://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=curt+adapters much better price! And free shipping if your in the US.
2013 RAM 3500 CTD Crew 4x4 Laramie
2014 Sprinter Copper Canyon 269FWRLS

GUTS GLORY RAM

Bedlam
Just the Curt adapter plate alone costs almost as much as the entire Andersen Ultimate setup. I didn't price the B&W Turnover since I thought it would not work with a round shank.

This is not some thing I need right now, but it can be something I can look for used or pick up at discount if I know what fits.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

DirtyOil
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
I have a Curt 30k lb drop in ball gooseneck - Does anyone know if these adapters work with it too?

http://www.curtmfg.com/Category/65/Double%20Lock?page=1

I didn't understand the Anderson adapter from the pictures I saw on their site until I visited eTrailer to see how that block turns the pin into a ball socket:

https://www.etrailer.com/Gooseneck-and-Fifth-Wheel-Adapters/Andersen/AM3225.html

Or you could use one of these:

http://www.hitchwarehouse.com/store/product/21826/Curt-X5-5th-Wheel-Adapter-Plate-16310/

Depending if your using B&W with the "square" shank ball or the Reese "round" shank ball. They have adapters for either.
2013 RAM 3500 CTD Crew 4x4 Laramie
2014 Sprinter Copper Canyon 269FWRLS

GUTS GLORY RAM

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
Charley67 wrote:
I have the B&W turnover ball, and thanks to the good advice of you guys, my new B&W Companion hitch will be here Monday morning. I would not have known about this without you. Two RV dealers have tried to sell me gooseneck adapters, which I just didn't feel good about.

Very good! B&W makes a great hitch.
I'd also steer clear of the dealers who tried pushing the adapters on you. They may well work for some, but not at all the best choice.
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10’s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

Charley67
Explorer
Explorer
I have the B&W turnover ball, and thanks to the good advice of you guys, my new B&W Companion hitch will be here Monday morning. I would not have known about this without you. Two RV dealers have tried to sell me gooseneck adapters, which I just didn't feel good about.

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Greene728 wrote:
Use the gooseneck hitch you already have instead of taking it out and then turning around and installing bed rails. Check out the highly recommended B&W Companion or the Anderson Ultimate. Both utilize your existing gooseneck for 5th wheel hitches. Then when removed there is nothing intruding on your bed space.

X2 with the B&W
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

Bedlam
FYI: It appears that the B&W uses a square hole and Curt uses a round hole for their gooseneck balls. You can not mix and match their gooseneck accessories or adapters because of this difference.

Bedlam
Thanks, I didn't watch video but found better pictures on eTrailer. I was scratching my head trying to figure out how the pin attached and what was the purpose of the block with the release cable. Curt has something similar, but does not look as nice as the B&W or Anderson.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bedlam wrote:
I have a Curt 30k lb drop in ball gooseneck - Does anyone know if these work with it? I don't understand the Anderson adapter from the pictures I see - it does not look like it has a saddle for a pin?

Take it one step further and view the videos.

The Anderson hitch has an adapter block that installs over the kingpin on the trailer, which allows it to hitch to the raised ball on the Anderson frame.

There is no actual 5th wheel with the Anderson hitch. It becomes a modified gooseneck.

The reason the Anderson hitch is okay, but a gooseneck adapter is not, is because the gooseneck adapter attaches to the pinbox on the trailer. This moves the pull point over a foot away from where it was designed, and puts extra stress on the trailer's pinbox.

Think of it like putting a cheater pipe on a wrench. If you've ever done that you know it works *most* of the time. Sometimes you break the wrench. Sometimes you bend it.

The Anderson hitch raises the gooseneck ball up to the pinbox, so the stresses are about the same vs. a true 5th wheel.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Bedlam
I have a Curt 30k lb drop in ball gooseneck - Does anyone know if these adapters work with it too?

http://www.curtmfg.com/Category/65/Double%20Lock?page=1

I didn't understand the Anderson adapter from the pictures I saw on their site until I visited eTrailer to see how that block turns the pin into a ball socket:

https://www.etrailer.com/Gooseneck-and-Fifth-Wheel-Adapters/Andersen/AM3225.html

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
WyoTraveler wrote:
Before you go to a gooseneck hitch on your 5ver search this forum. Lots of posts. Gooseneck mods can void your warranty. It can also damage your 5ver frame. Do the research first. I would remove the gooseneck hitch. When I had a 5ver my hitch was mounted on rails so I couod swap out for gooseneck or 5ver hitch. gooseneck hitches are great for sturdy framed horse and stock trailers. Not so much for the weaker framed 5ver RVs. JMHO

Not true. We're not advising a adapter. The B&W Companion and Anderson Ultimate are 5th wheel hitches that utilizes his existing gooseneck ball. There's a major difference.
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10’s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer
IF you have the B & W Turnover Ball (gooseneck hitch), then buy the B & W Companion.

IF you have a fixed position gooseneck ball (no removing it), get the Anderson Ultimate.
SAVED BY GRACE, THROUGH FAITH*
1998 Coachmen Catalina Lite 248TB
TV: 1996 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L Diesel (a man's truck)

*signature amended so that religious components aren't included (per "Admin")...hooray, now nobody will be offended by my personal beliefs

SolidAxleDurang
Explorer
Explorer
WyoTraveler wrote:
Before you go to a gooseneck hitch on your 5ver search this forum. Lots of posts. Gooseneck mods can void your warranty. It can also damage your 5ver frame. Do the research first. I would remove the gooseneck hitch. When I had a 5ver my hitch was mounted on rails so I couod swap out for gooseneck or 5ver hitch. gooseneck hitches are great for sturdy framed horse and stock trailers. Not so much for the weaker framed 5ver RVs. JMHO

NO ONE... not one person said to use a 5th wheel/goose adaptor on his 5th wheel's pin.

They said to investigate a proper 5th wheel hitch which can utilize the existing goose base as a mount point.
TV = 15 Ram 3500 Dually 6.7 / CC-LB / CTD / Aisin / 3.42 / 4wd / EBrake
5er = 12 Keystone Avalanche 330RE
Toys = 08 Kawasaki Brutie Force 650i 4x4 ( x2 🙂 ) 14 Arctic Cat Wildcat 1000

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
You are more than 1/2 way there. Get the 20K B&W Companion. Top quality US Made hitch.

Simple, solid dependable design.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD