cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I make my TT lights flash unhooked from my truck?

DavidSanders
Explorer
Explorer
I am attending a trade show for my employer and we will have our 24' enclosed trailer converted to a TT there on display. My VP wants me to find a way to make the trailer lights flash, exactly like it would look if you cut the hazard lights on. Only thing is, the truck we are pulling it there with wont fit in our display booth. So I am trying to come up with a wiring technique or method using a battery that would allow the trailer lights to flash on and off (to attract the attention of the patrons walking by) using the existing plug/wiring powered by a battery. I was thinking of using a jumper maybe, using diodes or even finding some way to incorporate a flasher kit like the one in the link below.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

http://www.lightexports.com/ef33k-electronic-flasher-kit-turn-signal-and-hazard-25amp-12v/
51 REPLIES 51

DavidSanders
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Good grief, what's all this talk about a "generator" and "if" it works. :h

To the OP - in your original post you said your employer has a 24' travel trailer you'd like to use for a trade show and have the exterior lights on it flash to attract attention to your display. The solution is simple - if the trailer isn't already equipped with a battery (which it should be in order to tow it anywhere anyway) install a basic Group 24 deep cycle battery on the trailer tongue, connecting it properly so the positive cable is connected to the battery positive terminal and the negative cable to the negative ... now Pin 4 on the trailer's Bargman connector will have + 12.6 vdc, Pin 1 will be negative. The negative side of this 12 vdc system is already hard wired to the trailer's lights so in order to have the exterior lights come on all you have to do is connect Pin 4 on the Bargman connector (your + 12 volt source) to Pin 3 on the connector which is the positive side of the trailer's exterior lights.

If you use a short length of wire or a flat fuse to do this then the lights will simply come on and remain on but if you instead use a flasher the lights will flash on and off, just as you had asked in your original post. Just go to any automotive supply store and ask for a heavy duty flasher ... if you'd rather not install it in a box with a fuse and switch as I did then just bend the pins so you can simply plug the flasher directly into Pins 3 & 4 of the Bargman connector and as long as it's inserted the lights will flash. To stop the lights flashing just remove the flasher.

Thanks for the explanation. So in essence I need to get:

1) Deep cycle battery
2) "Jumper" to connect pin #4 to pin #3
3) EL12 Flasher (if I want them to flash)

That sounds simple enough, thank you. So based on your diagram, all I really need to figure out now is how to get power from my battery to the #4 and #1 pins, correct?

DavidSanders
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
Try this.
Go to the auto parts store and ask a counter guy or get on Amazon.com and order an EL12 flasher unit.
E12 flasher unit

Now drive to the trailer and plug the trailer into the wall outlet or the generator.

Plug the flasher unit into slots 4 and 3 on the trailer plug.

See if the lights flash.

Unplug the flasher unit to stop the lights flashing.

If the lights don't flash you need to find a way to hook a fuse and 12 volt battery positive to pin 4 of the trailer plug.
Ground the trailer back to the negative of the battery.

Plug your E12 flasher in again and see if the lights flash.

It really is that simple.

The trailer does not have a cable to plug it into a wall outlet or generator. It is a standard enclosed trailer converted for travel trailer/camping purposes.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
DavidSanders wrote:
cbshoestring wrote:
OK, Now I have to get a flasher and try this. :B

I can see where it might come in handy in some situations.

"... it doesn't have a battery, it's setup for boondocking..."

This line really confuses me :h

It's a 24' enclosed trailer converted to a Travel Trailer.

Later post by OP

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
I think you missed the post where he said it was a cargo trailer converted to a travel trailer with no battery.

In his original post the OP said it was a 24' TT, i.e. travel trailer.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
... now Pin 4 on the trailer's Bargman connector will have + 12.6 vdc, Pin 4 will be negative...

2112 wrote:
Pin 1 is negative is it not?

Obviously a typo ... Pin 1 is negative, just as shown on the pinout drawing.

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
SoundGuy wrote:

I think you missed the post where he said it was a cargo trailer converted to a travel trailer with no battery. To me that means all bets are off as to whether or not pin 4 is even wired for a battery. Hence the statement to go plug in a flasher in and see what happens. 🙂
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Explorer II
Explorer II
SoundGuy wrote:
... now Pin 4 on the trailer's Bargman connector will have + 12.6 vdc, Pin 4 will be negative...
:h Let's not confuse the boy anymore than he already is.

Pin 1 is negative is it not?

DavidSanders
Are you close to China Springs? I know someone there that can help you.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Rookiecamper
Explorer
Explorer
The OP's trailer has a battery, but only the small type that is used on many cargo trailers for the sole purpose of working the electric brakes in the case of a break-a-way. That battery needs to be "upgraded" to a regular RV battery and then add the flasher. This is getting ridiculous. Unfortunately the OP does not seem too mechanically inclined or may not want to deal with electricity issues, but this can't be resolved with one step based on what he appears to have.
Me~Jim,58
DW~Patty, no comment

2017 Expedition
2014 Starcraft Launch 21FBS

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer

To the OP - in your original post you said your employer has a 24' travel trailer you'd like to use for a trade show and have the exterior lights on it flash to attract attention to your display. The solution is simple - if the trailer isn't already equipped with a battery (which it should be in order to tow it anywhere anyway) install a basic Group 24 deep cycle battery on the trailer tongue, connecting it properly so the positive cable is connected to the battery positive terminal and the negative cable to the negative ... now Pin 4 on the trailer's Bargman connector will have + 12.6 vdc, Pin 1 will be negative. The negative side of this 12 vdc system is already hard wired to the trailer's lights so in order to have the exterior lights come on all you have to do is connect Pin 4 on the Bargman connector (your + 12 volt source) to Pin 3 on the connector which is the positive side of the trailer's exterior lights.

If you use a short length of wire or a flat fuse to do this then the lights will simply come on and remain on but if you instead use a flasher the lights will flash on and off, just as you had asked in your original post. Just go to any automotive supply store and ask for a heavy duty flasher ... if you'd rather not install it in a box with a fuse and switch as I did then just bend the pins so you can simply plug the flasher directly into Pins 3 & 4 of the Bargman connector and as long as it's inserted the lights will flash. To stop the lights flashing just remove the flasher.

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Try this.
Go to the auto parts store and ask a counter guy or get on Amazon.com and order an EL12 flasher unit.
E12 flasher unit

Now drive to the trailer and plug the trailer into the wall outlet or the generator.

Plug the flasher unit into slots 4 and 3 on the trailer plug.

See if the lights flash.

Unplug the flasher unit to stop the lights flashing.

If the lights don't flash you need to find a way to hook a fuse and 12 volt battery positive to pin 4 of the trailer plug.
Ground the trailer back to the negative of the battery.

Plug your E12 flasher in again and see if the lights flash.

It really is that simple.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Chowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Makes me want to buy a unit with electrical assurance from that exhibitor.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
SoundGuy - I'm going to try this. Would this work? Just cut if off enough to fit inside the box chosen?

That's just what I used and the mod I made to it to better fit the plastic box I had on hand.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:

Sorry, I don't really have anything to sell nor am I in the business of manufacturing these things ... anyone that knows their way around a soldering iron can throw one together in no time, especially now that you have pics and a wiring diagram as a guide. 🙂

SoundGuy - I'm going to try this. Would this work? Just cut if off enough to fit inside the box chosen?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Explorer II
Explorer II
DavidSanders wrote:
2112,how will I get power to it?
You would have to connect a battery to it. The same as SoundGuys box. All (most) manufactured trailers have an on board battery that connects to pin 4 on the connector that plugs into your truck.

But you stated you don't have a battery? What is connected to pin 4 of your cable?
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

DavidSanders
Explorer
Explorer
2112,how will I get power to it?