cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How concerned should I be about this corrosion?

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed the other day while washing it & when I touched it I got like a white power on my finger, if it was a regular car my 1st thought is rust?

but is it not wood under aluminum?

1997 Dodge 4x4, 5 spd manual trans & HotRod 5.9 cummins.
With '85 Lance.
21 REPLIES 21

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to throw my guess in and say that it is either loose wiring or dissimilar metal fasteners on the back side of the siding. I'd either cut or pull back the siding to see which. As for cover up, possibly put some accent pieces of aluminum diamond plate over the corners. on both sides so it matches.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
I've called a friend that use to work at Lance & come to realize I can not afford them & it would probably cost me as much as I paid for the Camper to repair it so now I'm looking for cheaper options & no longer care if it looks sorta homeless.

I eventually want a slide out camper anyways so I'm gonna try to budget repair it & see how long I can make it last?
With '85 Lance.

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
Try an anode on the ground somewhere.
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Happens on boats, too. The only fix is to reskin it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking about taking a trip to Lance to show them?
I have not called them yet but probably should their factory is only an hour from me.
With '85 Lance.

tattoobob
Explorer
Explorer
Blanco1 wrote:
So what is the best easiest fix for this?
I Unplugged the 7 pin connector in case it was an electronic issue?

But then my batteries won't get charged, & I'm not crazy about that.

How to I repair this without it looking like a homeless guy living in my camper with no money..

No Offense to any homeless but I do have a home a very tight budget, so what a cheap & solid fix?

Did you push/ put pressure on the area to see if water leaked out? I would get some aluminum tape take a putty knife scrape the corrosion off and tape the area then paint it white. that of corse is a temporary fix you need to find how the water is getting in and fix that problem also
2005 Ford F350 SRW 4x4

2000 Lance 1010

Downwindtracke1
Explorer
Explorer
Aluminum does corrode. From past experience, I would really be afraid to open it up.

Good luck
Adventure before dementia

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
That corrosion doesn't look good at all.

Since you are on a budget, the most simple, quick fix for the immediate issue would be to get some thick white adhesive foil which is suitable for outside use, trim to size, and cover the complete area. Scrape off the blisters before and clean the aluminum siding thoroughly before you apply the foil. The skin is not structural.
This will buy you some time and not look too bad.

...but...

IMO, you really need to know what is the reason. If your camper is built like our old Lance, the walls are (from inside to outside):

- a thin sheet of luan (~plywood), covered with decorative plastic foil on the inside
- a wood frame, untreated, stapled together. Voids filled with glass wool
- a thin layer of styrofoam board, maybe 1/8in
- the outside aluminum sheet, very thin (less than 1/32)

For contact corrosion to occur, you need to have an electrical conductor behind the aluminum skin which touches the skin panel. Corrosion will first occur where the skin and the conductor meet.

Normally it is caused by the head of a screw or nail, or a staple which sticks up through the foam sheet. This will be small pinholes which are difficult to detect and can be harmless, depending on their location.

It can also be water saturated styrofoam. Unfortunately, with the large area corrosion shown in your pictures, that is what I would assume. The corroded areas are the in the recesses where the aluminum sheet contacts the foam board behind. Normally, the foam does not conduct electricity and not problems will occur. But when it is wet, it does conduct, and I would expect to find what I see in your pictures.

*IF* you really want to find out, you need to see what is behind the outer panels. If there were indeed moisture to the point that it has corroded through the outer skin, you are very likely to find a much worse structural issue (rot) in the wood frame.

The most likely culprits for water intrusion are the navigation lights at the top, a front window in the cabover (if fitted), the seam between the roof and the front skin along the top front of the cabover, and the outer seams along the cabover edges. Any water that intrudes will collect at the lowest point and soak the structure from there upwards unless it can drain - which it typically can not.

Usually you do not see or small anything suspicious inside for a very long time, as the innermost layer is a watertight plastic foil. And some moisture is always present and can be attributed to condensation.

How to check:

From the outside - To pull the side panel, you need to unscew the corner molding far enough back and upwards to be able to peel it away from the side a few inches. You need to remove the caulking first. Underneath is another type of caulking which is permanently soft. This is the actual water seal - the white outside caulking is more a cosmetic thing and it is only the first line of defense.

The aluminum siding is stapled to the wood frame at the lower edge; you need to pull these staples and then you can peel it back a little.

If everything behind looks good, you can reassemble using the correct types of caulking. You could also decide tom pull a larger part of the wall siding and replace with new material.

From the inside - Alternatively, you can borrow a recirculating saw and cut a small (maybe 3x3) opening in the inside luan, near the affected area. You can then check the inside of the wall for moisture. Cover the opening with a somewhat bigger piece of plywood or whatever you find suitable and 4 screws afterwards.

By measuring device - There are also professional tools which can check for moisture from the inside without any damage or disassembly. A good RV shop might have one. There are also cheap tools (around 10USD) with 2 measuring tips that are used to check if your firewood is dry enough. I am not sure how well they would work in a camper.
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
So what is the best easiest fix for this?
I Unplugged the 7 pin connector in case it was an electronic issue?

But then my batteries won't get charged, & I'm not crazy about that.

How to I repair this without it looking like a homeless guy living in my camper with no money..

No Offense to any homeless but I do have a home a very tight budget, so what a cheap & solid fix?
With '85 Lance.

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
Blanco1 wrote:
Reddog1 wrote:
I hate to say this, but removing and replacing the siding will be your only long term fix. In times past, I have had that problem with aluminum siding TCs.

Wayne

Thats what I'm fearing......?

Eventually I want a TC with slide outs, Maybe I'll just go with this till it gets really bad & use that excuse to buy a triple slide out TC?
A slide out will probably have Filon. (sp). I have never tried to repair Filon, but from what I have read I would much rather work with the Aluminum.

If you are handy with home repairs, I think you will find repairing your siding would not be all that complicated.Time consuming maybe.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
ugh wrote:
Blanco1 wrote:

Eventually I want a TC with slide outs, Maybe I'll just go with this till it gets really bad & use that excuse to buy a triple slide out TC?

That's easy. Make an attempt to fix it, but do a really bad job that damaged it beyond repair.

Oh please don't say that!
With '85 Lance.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
That's either electrolytic or galvanic corrosion. The results of each type of corrosion can be similar and can occur at an alarming rate.

Electrolytic corrosion is caused by a current from an external source, which is often the campers own battery or shore supply. The current that causes electrolytic action is called "stray current" and usually emanates from a poorly installed electrical circuit or a bad earthing (ground) arrangement, like a poorly installed electrical circuit or bad ground arrangement or a current leak due to damp connections.

Galvanic corrosion is caused by an electric current generated by two different metals in a conducting medium such as seawater. The "dissimilar" metal that is reacting with the skin could just be the metal fasteners used in the wood frame of the camper.

It will be difficult to say which type of corrosion this is without removing the skin over that area. One thing I think we can say for certain though, it's wet under that area.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

ugh
Explorer
Explorer
Blanco1 wrote:

That's easy. Make an attempt to fix it, but do a really bad job that damaged it beyond repair.
---------------------------------
2001 F250 5.4 3.73
2015 Wildwood X-Lite 262BHXL

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
Blanco1 wrote:

That already meets my definition of really bad. ๐Ÿ™‚

Seems like a lot of Lance campers have had this problem.

Good luck.
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet