cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I do it - is there a way?

username_taken
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at buying a new-to-me TC from a private party - good deal on an older Lance 910 in solid shape. TC is for sale down by my parents, about 400 miles away from where I live.

One challenge - I have a dually, and it doesn't have swing out jacks.

Is there any way to load this thing so I can get it home without swingouts?
35 REPLIES 35

Victory402
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps if you could get the seller to take some pics of the jack mounts and post them here we could help you better. I would shoot for installing brackets when you get there, but throw some wood dowels in your truck as a backup.

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
A 3/8" ratchet with a 9/16" or 1/2" socket and 1/2"-9/16" combination wrench and about 30 minutes and you will have the job done.

I had to add the brackets to my 1050S when I bought my dually. Easy job.

By the time you remove the jacks to roll the camper into the bed of the truck, you are already half way there!

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I would either borrow a SRW or hire one. Or I would find out what you need and take it with you. If the seller would take many pictures you should be able to identify what you need I would think. I myself would not go with dropping the front on the truck and sliding it in. I know I would become very concerned about the fate of my rear jacks. The swing out jack installation should be simple I would think. JMHO
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't want to drive 4 - 5 hours each way and have to do a demo & jack mount project nor would I want to go red neck and push it on. I'd borrow a buddies SRW pick up for the camper pick up and make the event as stressless as possible.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

username_taken
Explorer
Explorer
Another idea - I could use screw jacks and the C-channel steel to hold up the front of the camper until it's loaded.

Would supporting the camper with steel/ jacks under the cabover be advisable? Not sure if this area is designed to hold anything more than it's own weight, where the floor and jack mount area are obviously designed to carry the camper.

username_taken
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
Have the seller take a picture of the jacks so you know approximately what they look like. Then bring a couple large steel plates or tubes, a drill and some bolts. Build fixed-length extenders on the spot.

I would not be comfortable backing under a camper with rollers when the rear jacks are the only thing resisting that.

That's another good idea. I could get some 4" C channel relatively cheaply in an 9' length. With a drill and some bolts I'm sure I could quickly fab a makeshift bracket to use the existing jacks as long as the front brackets are flat and not N/S to the TC.

Rollers sound so much easier though. Maybe if the owner could back the TC up to a block wall, or even park their truck behind to help brace the TC to make sure the jacks don't bend.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
username taken wrote:
Capt Eddie wrote:
Lean it back onto the rear jacks. When the front jack is off the ground, remove it. Drive the truck under at an angle. Reinstall jack. It is very simple. All of us have raised a jack off the ground and NOT had the camper tip over.

Wow - I think you probably have more driving skill than I do.

I'm not confident that I could jackknife my dually under a TC for the first time without bumping something and knocking it over or doing some damage.

I would be way too nervous about sideloading the jacks that way.

Since most of the weight is usually on the front jacks, I doubt you could even get one to to raise up. It's usually the rear ones that do.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have the seller take a picture of the jacks so you know approximately what they look like. Then bring a couple large steel plates or tubes, a drill and some bolts. Build fixed-length extenders on the spot.

I would not be comfortable backing under a camper with rollers when the rear jacks are the only thing resisting that.

username_taken
Explorer
Explorer
Capt Eddie wrote:
Lean it back onto the rear jacks. When the front jack is off the ground, remove it. Drive the truck under at an angle. Reinstall jack. It is very simple. All of us have raised a jack off the ground and NOT had the camper tip over.

Wow - I think you probably have more driving skill than I do.

I'm not confident that I could jackknife my dually under a TC for the first time without bumping something and knocking it over or doing some damage.

I would be way too nervous about sideloading the jacks that way.

username_taken
Explorer
Explorer
Wagonqueen Truckster wrote:
I drove 16 hours to pick up my 76 Amerigo TC. We actually paid additional money to fabricate an extender on the jacks. It fit around the dually, but the feet did not clear the wheels...So we took off the outside wheels (off the dually) backed under, then jacked the truck and the camper up to place the tires back on. Needless to say, it was a stressful event. Did you ever see how funny a dually looks with only one tire on each side?

Great minds think alike - this was one of my first thoughts.

Unfortunately, my dually is a 2012 GMC and the fenders are actually wider than the wheels and tires. I'm at 96" fender to fender. Most TC jacks I've measured (non swing out) are barely over 90-91" Even with swing outs, squeezing her fat ass under the TC is going to be a challenge.

username_taken
Explorer
Explorer
Snowman9000 wrote:
Would some lengths of 3/4" thinwall conduit work better than wood dowels? I would think so. I've rolled a lot of heavy objects on steel pipe.

I'm not sure if EMT or conduit wouldn't flatten out with the weight of a camper on top. Rigid pipe would probably be strong enough.

I would think wood dowels would allow a bit of "give" to make sure I didn't bang up the underside of the camper, but they may flat spot too. I wonder if some schedule 80 PVC would be strong enough?

Capt_Eddie
Explorer
Explorer

Wagonqueen_Truc
Explorer
Explorer
I drove 16 hours to pick up my 76 Amerigo TC. We actually paid additional money to fabricate an extender on the jacks. It fit around the dually, but the feet did not clear the wheels...So we took off the outside wheels (off the dually) backed under, then jacked the truck and the camper up to place the tires back on. Needless to say, it was a stressful event. Did you ever see how funny a dually looks with only one tire on each side?

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Would some lengths of 3/4" thinwall conduit work better than wood dowels? I would think so. I've rolled a lot of heavy objects on steel pipe.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

username_taken
Explorer
Explorer
Perfect - I knew some of the creative minds here would come up with a solution.

Wooden dowels or furniture slides sound like the way to go - that will give me time to verify the brand of the jacks, order the brackets and install at home where I've got all my tools etc.