cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do I empty a galley tank.

Camp__Forrest__
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a 2001 a Forest River Real-Lite TC. I don't have a model name, but it is 10.5' in length. The monitor panel has an indicator for a galley grey tank, but I am totally unfamiliar with the concept.

Is this something that I can divert water into? I only have two valves in the waste drain compartment so I don't know how to empty this tank. I looked in all of the cabinets and access panels and I don't see any extra valves.

Does anyone have any info on these? I am beginning to think it is just an indicator on the panel and that I don't actually have a tank, although it is reading 1/4 full.
-2000 Chevy K3500 CC DRW 7.4L, Auto; 2000 Arctic Fox 1150 WB; 1999 Bayliner Capri 1800LS Outboard
-Air Lift bags, Torklift tie-downs, Superhitch w/48", Rancho RS9000X, K&N FIPK, MagnaFlow exhaust.
20 REPLIES 20

Camp__Forrest__
Explorer
Explorer
AnEv942 wrote:

A quick call to FR might be simpler-Searching the FR forum possibly.

Thanks for the link. I didn't even know there was a forum.
-2000 Chevy K3500 CC DRW 7.4L, Auto; 2000 Arctic Fox 1150 WB; 1999 Bayliner Capri 1800LS Outboard
-Air Lift bags, Torklift tie-downs, Superhitch w/48", Rancho RS9000X, K&N FIPK, MagnaFlow exhaust.

Camp__Forrest__
Explorer
Explorer
sleepy wrote:
Do you think that the manufacturer is just using the same 3 tank indicator panel monitor for MH's and TC's instead of using the 2 tank monitor for TC's?
That's the way I'm leaning.

Camp__Forrest__
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
I'd do a simple test and run enough water to make the lights move and see if the Grey tank lights move, the galley tank lights move or both.
The weird thing is that the galley tank read 1/4 all weekend. The other two filled as the weekend went on. When I drained the tanks (just two valves) the galley gauge went to zero.

Camp__Forrest__
Explorer
Explorer
thetroutman4 wrote:
I am predicting that the 'galley' water tank is the fresh water, as used in the Galley (kitchen). OP did not mention if there was a gauge labeled 'fresh' water.
Sorry again, there is a gauge for fresh water.

thetroutman4
Explorer
Explorer
I am predicting that the 'galley' water tank is the fresh water, as used in the Galley (kitchen). OP did not mention if there was a gauge labeled 'fresh' water.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I'd do a simple test and run enough water to make the lights move and see if the Grey tank lights move, the galley tank lights move or both.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
Do you think that the manufacturer is just using the same 3 tank indicator panel monitor for MH's and TC's instead of using the 2 tank monitor for TC's?
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

Camp__Forrest__
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
Camp, Forrest, Camp! wrote:
? I only have two valves in the waste drain compartment so I don't know how to empty this tank. I looked in all of the cabinets and access panels and I don't see any extra valves.

two valves, two tanks, black and grey. what are you missing?
bumpy
I should have been more clear, my apologies. I have gauges for three tanks. Two of which are easily identifiable as the black water and shower. The third is labeled "galley".

My wife was running the sink when I was outside and I could clearly hear that the water was running into the large grey water tank in the tank compartment. I don't think I actually have three tanks.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Did some looking around- yes you potentially have 3 tanks, as your monitor (not mentioned in this thread) shows, hence folks are not understanding your question. I also had never heard of this feature.

What I didnt see, except in reference on an FR pop, was how to drain. In that thread there was mention of having to use some kind of adapter? Is there any thing else in the dump compartment?

A quick call to FR might be simpler-Searching the FR forum possibly.
Someone else must have this-extra galley only tank and know how to drain- (just havent read the thread.

Edit: http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums.
I think this may have been what trailgranny50 was describing-I was thinking of the direct hose connection like our old MH that didnt have a grey tank. But if you search 'galley drain' on the fr forum under the plumbing sub forum in the tech section-all kinds of threads relating to this. And as many issues.
galley drain site:forestriverforums.com
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
The OP had posted in another forum that he has 3 monitors: galley, grey and black. That would imply there are 3 tanks. He cannot find how to drain the galley one.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27880757.cfm

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camp, Forrest, Camp! wrote:
I just bought a 2001 a Forest River Real-Lite TC. I don't have a model name, but it is 10.5' in length. The monitor panel has an indicator for a galley grey tank, but I am totally unfamiliar with the concept.You should have two holding tanks...one for the toilet and one for the sinks (kit & bath) and shower. When you flush the toilet, the contents go into the black tank...conversely, when you drain water down the sinks, it goes into the galley tank. The monitors should show you how full each tank is.

Is this something that I can divert water into? Not sure what you mean by "divert". Please explain.I only have two valves in the waste drain compartment so I don't know how to empty this tank. Simple....just pull one of the handles. Make sure you have a drain hose (re: stinky slinky) attached to the drain outlet before pulling handles. It's best if you put a clear connector between the drain outlet and the stinky slinky so that you can see what is coming out and where it is coming from.I looked in all of the cabinets and access panels and I don't see any extra valves.There are NO other valves.

Does anyone have any info on these? I am beginning to think it is just an indicator on the panel and that I don't actually have a tank, although it is reading 1/4 full.If you have a toilet and a sink/shower, you should have two tanks (since you have two gate valves).

Hope this helps

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

trailgranny50
Explorer
Explorer
Does this camper have a small outside threaded pipe on the side below the sink with a cap on it? If so it would be the "galley" drain. The small drain from sink to shower and sink, if you have a bathroom, to the drain gate valve would normally be all to the grey water tank and that is what you're seeing in the gauge. Those things can be a pain about sticking at odds levels especially if previous owner want meticulous with NOT running any debris and especially greasy dish water down the drain. Don't care about Park rules, I always wash dishes in a pan and throw it in the driveway if gravel or some other out of the way spot. They don't have to clean my holding tank. You'll know if they're connected if you run water down kitchen sink and tank gets full. Awkward test, sew if it backs up into shower floor. Two person job, running water, checking bathroom and wiggly pulling the drain valve! LOL good luck. We discovered or new old camper DIDN'T have a grey water tank that way by accident when testing everything. Had Crack in shower pan and noticed water on camper floor from there. Fixed that! Now black water tank needs fixed. Vintage campers, God love em. Good luck!
2004 Chevy 3500 Duramax all stock
1990 950 Shadow Cruiser Hard side multiple add-ons
Ancient Valco 10'x5' John boat
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser Trail Team
One-eyed Trail Horse and one horse trailer
Rocky, Annie, Muffie traveling Fur Babies

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
If you run the kitchen faucet does the galley or grey indicator move up?

805gregg
Explorer
Explorer
Just empty the black tank first, then the gray tank to help clean out the hose
2003 Dodge Quad Cab 3500 SRW LB Cummins diesel, Banks Six Gun, Banks exhaust, Mag hytec deep trans pan, and Diff cover. Buckstop bumper, Aerotanks 55gal tank, airbags, stableloads Bigwig stabilizer, 2003 Lance 1071 camper, solar and generator