cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do I know how much to pay for a used TC?

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm looking at a 2013 Arctic Fox 992, seems in great condition asking $28k. How do I go about finding the right price for that, or any other TC?
32 REPLIES 32

anutami
Explorer III
Explorer III
This looks like a way better deal

Clicky
2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
rvshrinker wrote:
They don't have the window sticker but is it possible Northwoods would still have the info if given the buyer's info?

Northwood (no S on the end) would only need the VIN of the camper to pull the build sheet and send it to you as a PDF.

Check the roof and general condition

Not much more needs checked since it's relatively new and has been inside a lot of its life.
Bob

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
As someone who is prone to rushing into buying things once I get my mind set on it, I'm not the best negotiator when it comes to wheeling and dealing. To compensate for this failing, I set my search based off of the top dollar I'm willing to pay for the model and features I want. I hate it when people nickle and dime me when I sell something so I don't nickle and dime people when I'm trying to buy something. When I respond to an ad, it is because I am prepared to offer the asking price assuming the condition of the item is represented accurately.

I may have missed it but are you paying cash or will you be financing? I'm not certain I would pay cash for a camper that new and for that much, you would probably be better of looking at brand new campers and just financing the purchase. The difference in payment between this used one and a new one is probably going to be within about $50 a month and the warranty on the new one could easily save you that much.

If you are paying cash and price is a significant factor, I would take a look again at even older campers at lower price points. When it comes down to it, the new "features" that manufacturers add year to year are generally cosmetic or superficial and likely possible to add to older models with a bit of elbow grease and some money.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

nomadictxn
Explorer
Explorer
Doesn't the Fox Value Pack include stainless appliances? Local AF dealer in Pueblo has a 2017 992 with Fox value pack for $32,995.
nomadictxn
2013 RAM 1500 QC 5.7, 3.92 4x4 6 sp.
2021 Flagstaff E Pro 19FBS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Idk what the specific price for that model should be, but you've got good advice there.
Couple things I've noticed, buying 2 used AF campers up here:
There are ALOT of them on the market in this area, so don't settle for paying more or getting less than what you want. They're dime a dozen.
The top brands fetch more $, AF, Eagle Cap, host, Lance.
IMO, condition, storage conditions and amount of use are much more important than model year. I looked at a bunch of campers and other than different upholstery and interior decorating there are not many advancements between newer and older models.
The 2 biggies for AF is the new barrel ceiling and back when they went to aluminum frame in 05. (Although I had a 05 before the 03 and idk if it matters. I can't tell the difference)

Lastly, I would almost always take one that is stored inside rather than outside. For many reasons.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
deltabravo wrote:
Ask the seller to send you more pics - like the roof, close ups of the interior and exterior, etc.
I'd do that before making the long drive to Oregon.

The top drawer next to the stove has ding in the upper left corner.

I actually live less than an hour from the seller.

I'd sure appreciate knowing what specific things I shouldbe looking at other than general condition. I know, for instance, I should ask about the size of the solar panels.

They don't have the window sticker but is it possible Northwoods would still have the info if given the buyer's info?

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Ask the seller to send you more pics - like the roof, close ups of the interior and exterior, etc.
I'd do that before making the long drive to Oregon.

The top drawer next to the stove has ding in the upper left corner.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
CAJW wrote:
We replaced it with one of these, which are guaranteed not to turn yellow. We'll see.....

JR Vent

Mine turned yellow too.

I attempted to replace mine with the JR vent failed. It wouldn't fit due to how the hole in the wall lined up with the metal flashing of the vent hood inside the hole.

I replace it with the same as what was on the camper, but I painted it with about 10 coats of white Krylon Fusion paint prior to installing it.

I think a price of $25k-$26k seems fair based of my knowledge of the market in the PNW.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Jack_Hart
Explorer
Explorer
Just a few comments on buying and selling used high-dollar items without the "benefit" of a dealer:

NADA numbers are what lending agencies use to determine the value of collateral in a loan. NADA numbers do not typically reflect current market prices.

The only way to get a feel for true value is by comparison. If there aren't a lot of campers to compare, then value comes down to how bad the seller wants to sell and how desperate to buyer is to buy.

Bottom line: a camper (or anything else) is only worth what you're willing to pay for it.

Area13
Explorer
Explorer
rvshrinker wrote:
Area13 wrote:
I shopped that price range last year in Washington. I think $25k is a decent price if mint for that model, options and year. Wouldn't pay a penny more unless newer. What's the build date? 2012? It's probably pushing 5 years old. Good luck, those are sweet looking rigs similar to my setup, love the rear kitchen.

Also, curious what you will be hauling it with. They are very heavy.

Is this it? https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2013-Northwood-Mfg-Arctic-Fox-992-119153551

yessir, that's the one. Owners have been very responsive.

I'm planning to get the full on RAM 3500 dually with the Cummins. Haven't decided which transmission yet, but the AISIN is 'only' $3000 more so.... overkill, I'm sure, but some day I might want a big trailer or to tow a toadie behind the TC. The current owners use a full ton SRW but I think they're probably overweight.

Sounds like a perfect truck for this. Hear good things about the Aisin, sounds like they are worth the money and probably good for resale. An SRW would need all of the mods in my signature and still be a little wiggly I bet. A 992 with a geni, fully wet is very heavy. Good luck in your ventures.
2020 Outdoors RV 21RD
2015 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
CAJW wrote:
trail-explorer wrote:
Fox Landing was the norm back then. I think 2013 was the first or second model year of that.

I think 2013 was the last year of the slant nose cabover. Nothing wrong with it, but some people might like the additional headroom at the head of the bed with the taller cabover of later model years.

The shelf in the pantry looks to be an owner added contraption.

There's no oven, so it most likely has the convection microwave.

I'm guessing it's been outside a lot in the summer, since the stove hood vent is turning yellow.

I agree with all the above, except the stove hood vent turning yellow doesn't necessarily mean it sat outside a lot. That is pretty common for those to turn yellow even if garaged such as this one has been. Ours has been stored in an enclosed garage and had the same problem and our dealer stated that didn't surprise them. We replaced it with one of these, which are guaranteed not to turn yellow. We'll see.....

JR Vent

Ditto on the stove vent. Ours was yellow within a few years. Easy to fix with Krylon fusion paint. Looks like new again.

CAJW
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
Fox Landing was the norm back then. I think 2013 was the first or second model year of that.

I think 2013 was the last year of the slant nose cabover. Nothing wrong with it, but some people might like the additional headroom at the head of the bed with the taller cabover of later model years.

The shelf in the pantry looks to be an owner added contraption.

There's no oven, so it most likely has the convection microwave.

I'm guessing it's been outside a lot in the summer, since the stove hood vent is turning yellow.

I agree with all the above, except the stove hood vent turning yellow doesn't necessarily mean it sat outside a lot. That is pretty common for those to turn yellow even if garaged such as this one has been. Ours has been stored in an enclosed garage and had the same problem and our dealer stated that didn't surprise them. We replaced it with one of these, which are guaranteed not to turn yellow. We'll see.....

JR Vent
2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableloads & Tie-downs,Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wigs, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507,CubbyCam, Trimetric. TM & SC 2030 150W + 100W suitcase

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
It has solar, but not sure how much since the ad doesn't specify how big the panel is.
Bob

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Basically to "determine if the price is fair or not" shop around at dealers, on RVTrader and Craigslist. I see one at Toms Camperland, 2011 model, listed for $25,995
Bob