cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

how do you monitor trailer battery voltage?

shawnzy
Explorer
Explorer
Im just wondering if anyone put a voltmeter gauge on the trailer somewhere to keep track of battery voltage?? I had the battery run out from putting the slide out 3 times other day, so I plugged it in to charge it up maybe it wasn't fully charged when I purchased it?? I just don't want to ever forget about it and run out because my jack is battery powered..

Thanks
Shawn
35 REPLIES 35

the_happiestcam
Explorer
Explorer
shawnzy wrote:
I had the battery run out from putting the slide out 3 times other day

Three times?
Me ('62), DW ('61), DS ('97), DS ('99), DD ('03)
2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 axle
2010 Dutchmen 28G-GS

CG's we've been to

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I installed my three meter DC MONITORING PANEL when we first got into taking the OFF-ROAD POPUP camper off the power grid. It is very important to us to monitor the batteries.

My three panel meter group consists of two digital DC VOLTMETERs which is direct connected right at my battery bank source and one digital +/- 75AMP DC Current meter which measures both input and output DC currents for my battery bank.

My meters was purchased from SURE ELECTRONICS ebay/china back in 2009 and now they don't have the HALL EFFECT DC Current meter anymore. Wish I had purchased a couple of them back then. They are installed in a standard PVC three switch electrical box (LOWES). All cabling is using PVC flexible conduit to the battery bank main Blue sea 4-position battery switch.

My MONITOR PANEL is installed on the side of a cabinet just as you come into my trailer. Easy view both from the inside and outside standing next to the opened door.

My MONITOR PANEL is installed in a PVC 3-gang SWITCH BOX (LOWES) with the meter units glued to one of those SPECIALTY THREE-GANG SWITCH COVER. All of this is installed in a PVC Electrical BOX made for the three gang switches. I used PVC flexible conduit to route all the required cabling. My cables extend from the main BLUE SEA 4-position Battery switch just mounted very close the the installed battery bank. All lines feeding the DC MONITOR panel are fused.

This is my wiring diagram...

The only thing I really miss with this installation is an alarm when my Battery Voltage drops below a pre-set value. The TRIMETRIC RV-2025 has this feature.

Knowing the approximate charge status of my BATTERIES has been very helpful for our camping off the power grid. I want to follow the 50% to 90% charge status modes as best I can to keep my batteries in their best performance modes.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Bull Rider wrote:
I bought a hand held meter, and cut the probes off of the ends of the test leads and then wired it into the 12 volt feed to the AM/FM radio. Velcroed the meter to the inside of the cabinet door next to the radio. Open the door, flip the meter to DC, and I get a readout to two decimal places.

Total cost was about ten bucks. Works for me.

Did similar except used a digital VOM that Harbor Freight gives away for free. Only cost was a little Velcro that I already had on hand.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
Since I monitor what is coming out of our solar panel I use the Morningstar RM1 meter and to keep track of state of charge (SOC) use the Victron battery monitor, which will also tell you voltage...
Voltage tells you very little as it is a poor judge of SOC, unless taken some hours after no input or output for some hours. The only thing it tells you is what your converter or solar controller is doing.

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
I use Blue Sea Systems volt and ammeters.

-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
I use Blue Sea Systems volt and ammeters.

-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

Eyetattoo
Explorer
Explorer
Thats a good idea. What brand is that?
2015 2500HD Duramax LTZ Crew Cab
2005 26' Attitude Toy Hauler
2007 GSXR600
2004 YFZ450
2006 TRX90
2013 Raptor 90
2007 Raptor 350

Is it time to camp yet?!

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Eyetattoo wrote:
Did you run a line to your battery bank or just tie into the 12volt plug behind the plate?
Just to the back of the plug. As long as no load is on the plug it basically measures voltage at the fuse panel. Close enough for what I need.

I carry a sears VOM if I need two digit accuracy right on the battery terminals for some odd reason.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I had these analog gauges hanging around so used them for AC and DC, I can see at a glance what's going on:

After I installed solar, I bought a Victron battery monitor and installed that. The Victron tells me how much power I use in a day and how much charge goes back into the batteries. The measurement is in amp hours.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Eyetattoo
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
Did you run a line to your battery bank or just tie into the 12volt plug behind the plate?
2015 2500HD Duramax LTZ Crew Cab
2005 26' Attitude Toy Hauler
2007 GSXR600
2004 YFZ450
2006 TRX90
2013 Raptor 90
2007 Raptor 350

Is it time to camp yet?!

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a hand held meter, and cut the probes off of the ends of the test leads and then wired it into the 12 volt feed to the AM/FM radio. Velcroed the meter to the inside of the cabinet door next to the radio. Open the door, flip the meter to DC, and I get a readout to two decimal places.

Total cost was about ten bucks. Works for me...
If you receive help from other members, don't forget to update your topic with the results.

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
gemsworld wrote:
I use this one:

INNOVA 3721 Battery and Charging System Monitor

Same here.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
I use a hand held volt meter that I test the batteries with every so often. Not as fancy as the permanant types, but works just fine for us.

Community Alumni
Not applicable

arizal
Explorer
Explorer
4aSong wrote:
This is the unit that we have installed.

Universal 12v Digital VoltMeter

X 2 works great and just plugs into a 12 volt power port in your trailer or pickup.
ArizAl
2009 Sierra 1500 SLT Crewcab 5.3 6 speed 3.42 Axle 4X4 w/ Runningboard Lift
2009 Viewfinder V21FB with Handicap Assist Mods
Yamaha EF2400ISHC