cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

how do you monitor trailer battery voltage?

shawnzy
Explorer
Explorer
Im just wondering if anyone put a voltmeter gauge on the trailer somewhere to keep track of battery voltage?? I had the battery run out from putting the slide out 3 times other day, so I plugged it in to charge it up maybe it wasn't fully charged when I purchased it?? I just don't want to ever forget about it and run out because my jack is battery powered..

Thanks
Shawn
35 REPLIES 35

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Here is what I did. Bought all the meters and switches on eBay. Installed them over a period of a year or so. The water heater switch and genny control are OEM.

Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
I bought an LED digital volt meter off Amazon, here, and mounted it in a small project box from Radio Shack. The volt meter was $6.50 shipped on my Prime account, and the project box was about $5 as I recall. I pulled constant hot under the stove hood and mounted it under a kitchen cabinet. I checked the volts at the batteries with a hand held volt meter, and it was identical to the hundreth with the read out on the volt meter, so very accurate.

As someone else mentioned, the volt meter also provides a nice night light.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Roy B wrote:
The only thing I really miss with this installation is an alarm when my Battery Voltage drops below a pre-set value

Roy, this is easily done but I would bet that you disable it after limited use. As much as a guy is interested in charge state, a quick look at a hardwired meter becomes all that's necessary.

When you get your off-road rig set up with solar, you'll probably be wanting an amp hour counter like the Trimetric or Victron. My Morningstar controller has a PC interface so, if I chose to, I could have instant metering, updated graphs, or other measurements available on a screen. After using the meters and PC to see how everything behaves for a period of time, even pressing the backlight button on the Victron seems like too much effort, lol.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

NashTT
Explorer
Explorer
Factory supplied with solar. Don't know about quality, but has functioned OK for two yrs.

"The opposite of Progress is Congress"
2013 Nash 23F
2008 Doge Big Horn Hemi Quad Cab 3.92
Reese 1000 bars-Prodigy Brake control
Jill, the crazy Rat Terrier always along

wwest
Explorer
Explorer
With just a few 100 milliohms in the circuit to the TT the TT battery will never charge above 60-70%. Sometimes you need to "boost" the charging voltage from the tow vehicle in order to do this.

400W DC to AC inverter plus a good battery charger will often help.

johned
Explorer
Explorer
+1 on the "Voltminder". I've been using the "old" version for two years to monitor the state of my two golf cart batteries charged by my portable solar setup. The "Voltminder" plugs in to a 12 volt socket. Inexpensive and simple. Meets my needs.

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
ah64id wrote:
Yes the batteries need to sit for at least an hour, many places recommend 4 hours without a load.

Thanks for the clarification.

Best regards,
BubbaChris
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

pa_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Can you just plug voltminder into plug in camper instead of hard wiring? 12volt or 120 volt receptacle?

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
Yes the batteries need to sit for at least an hour, many places recommend 4 hours without a load.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
A related question from a newbie. If I've had my TT connected to shore power at home, should I disconnect it for a few hours before testing voltage?

That way the converter/charger isn't affecting the reading.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

Sgeorge
Explorer
Explorer
I used the Trimetric 2025 battery monitor. Costly $$$$, but more information than I could possible use. I installed this when i put my solar on to monitor how well it was working.
2013 Springdale 232SRT
2016 F250 XLT, 6.2, 4.30.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
johnm1 wrote:
I really like that setup, what is it and where did you get it? In other words more info ... please and thank you.

It is from Martel Meters, quick mount series. You may find a lower cost solution on ebay.

http://www.martelmeters.com/products.php?cat=1

data sheet

johnm1
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:

I really like that setup, what is it and where did you get it? In other words more info ... please and thank you.
johnm
'13 GMC Serria D/A, CC, 4x4
'16 Forest River Vengeance 25V

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just inside the entrance door, I put in a 12v outlet with a plug in DC voltmeter. Under that is a 120v outlet with an AC voltmeter, then an indoor/outdoor thermometer, the thermostat and the tank/battery monitor. Everything can be checked at a glance. The only thing missing is the solar charge controller which I'll move at some point.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch