cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you switch between holding tanks.

jaydub74
Explorer
Explorer
This might be a dumb question.

I just purchased a new trailer and I noticed on the display panel it has two black tanks and two grey tanks. The exterior only has one drain location, with two pulls, one grey and one black.

So two questions. When we use the trailer and one tank fills does waste automatically switch to tank two?

And when I drain the tanks, do I just pull the grey and black levers and that will drain all 4 tanks or do I need to do something further?

Thanks
2014 Kodiak 284 BHSL
2010 Ford F350 V10 Crew Cab
Full Timing: 2 Adults, 1 Toddler, 1 Yellow Lab
www.randomgoodness.ca
21 REPLIES 21

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
So connect the water and run the tub and see what fills. Run the kitchen see what fills. If you start with some beer you should be using the toilet by now and see what moves. Bath sink same thing. Any other fixtures? Do the same.

Now drain the tanks using the two levers and see if all is empty.

Drew_K
Explorer
Explorer
The OP said the "display panel" shows 2 black and 2 grey tanks. I'm pretty sure that just means the manufacturer used a panel with extra display lights but that the RV only has 1 grey and 1 black tank. My TT panel shows 2 grey tanks but we only have 1.
2013 F250 CC 4x4 Diesel
2014 Open Range Roamer Travel Trailer RT316RLS

thib2722
Explorer
Explorer
You'll have a pull handle for each tank. My old unit had three tanks. There were three pulls. I painted the gray ones with silver spray paint so I would know they were gray water. There's nothing like accidentally dumping sewage when you thought you were dumping just sudsy water.

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
I would go with those saying if you only have one bathroom then one black tank and the panel is most likely generic so somewhere in the line a trailer has 2 black tanks. As you use the trailer just watch and most likely only 2 or the 4 will show anything in the tanks. Usually takes about 3 days to fill the black tank for us.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
Aha my little munchkins, but somebody posted the link in the 3rd post down. :W Maybe should have been in bold and a bright color to attract more attention?

Just an observation, it's funny sometimes - it seems sometimes forum members skip past many or all of the already posted thoughts, opinions, facts and links and go straight to posting what's on their minds.

It must be a terrible burden, being perfect as you obviously are.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Aha my little munchkins, but somebody posted the link in the 3rd post down. :W Maybe should have been in bold and a bright color to attract more attention?

OP has not said that the TT in his sig. is not the one he is asking about. Am interested to hear what he finds out.

Just an observation, it's funny sometimes - it seems sometimes forum members skip past many or all of the already posted thoughts, opinions, facts and links and go straight to posting what's on their minds. Kinda like grade school when the teacher asks a question and you're the first to throw your hand way up in the air, lol. Have been known to do it myself even... :S

Sprink-Fitter wrote:
myredracer wrote:
It seems some did not notice the link to the OP's trailer floorplan near the beginning of this thread, so hear it is. It shows one bathroom which would suggest one black tank.

If you assume the trailer in his signature is the one he is asking about, the link is not in his post.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
It really doesn't matter what the display panel indicates (besides trying to solve the owner's bewilderment). The tanks are drained through the two exterior connections and no inter-tank connections would have to be dealt with if there are no separate valves for them.

One clue as to tank numbers may be the number of vents coming through the roof. Typically, there will be one vent per tank.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
It seems some did not notice the link to the OP's trailer floorplan near the beginning of this thread, so hear it is. It shows one bathroom which would suggest one black tank.

If you assume the trailer in his signature is the one he is asking about, the link is not in his post.
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
It seems some did not notice the link to the OP's trailer floorplan near the beginning of this thread.

You're right, shame on me.

The bathroom sink is probably plumbed into the black tank, mine is and I like it.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Do you have two toilets? The black tank(s) would be under the toilet(s).

X2 This is the key. If you have one toilet you probably have one tank. You would only have 2 black tanks if you have 2 toilets far enough apart that they couldn't use a common tank.

On the other hand, who knows what some manufacturers might do to save a buck.

Pine5008
Explorer
Explorer
A quick search using your trailer in sig produced this:

http://www.rvguide.com/specs/dutchmen/travel-trailer/2014/kodiak/284bhsl.html

According to the review you have 1 grey and 1 black tank. As others have stated the manufacturer probably uses a one size fits all display panel.
Pine
2006 F350 SRW Crew Cab, 6.0
2014 Keystone Fuzion 390

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have two toilets? The black tank(s) would be under the toilet(s).
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

jaydub74
Explorer
Explorer
The panel definitely shows four holding tanks.
Bottom of trailer is sealed so you can't see any of the piping.
I'm going to try a few things and I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks for all the responses.
2014 Kodiak 284 BHSL
2010 Ford F350 V10 Crew Cab
Full Timing: 2 Adults, 1 Toddler, 1 Yellow Lab
www.randomgoodness.ca