cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you switch between holding tanks.

jaydub74
Explorer
Explorer
This might be a dumb question.

I just purchased a new trailer and I noticed on the display panel it has two black tanks and two grey tanks. The exterior only has one drain location, with two pulls, one grey and one black.

So two questions. When we use the trailer and one tank fills does waste automatically switch to tank two?

And when I drain the tanks, do I just pull the grey and black levers and that will drain all 4 tanks or do I need to do something further?

Thanks
2014 Kodiak 284 BHSL
2010 Ford F350 V10 Crew Cab
Full Timing: 2 Adults, 1 Toddler, 1 Yellow Lab
www.randomgoodness.ca
21 REPLIES 21

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Look underneath, if possible, to see the number of tanks. The displays are usually generic and used across model lines so you don't necessarily have the number of tanks as displayed. My tt monitor shows 1 black and 2 grey even though I only have one of each.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
jaydub74 wrote:
This might be a dumb question.

I just purchased a new trailer and I noticed on the display panel it has two black tanks and two grey tanks. The exterior only has one drain location, with two pulls, one grey and one black.

So two questions. When we use the trailer and one tank fills does waste automatically switch to tank two?

And when I drain the tanks, do I just pull the grey and black levers and that will drain all 4 tanks or do I need to do something further?

Thanks

Is it the trailer in your signature? If you have a rear bathroom there would be a black tank back there.
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
According to the manufacturer's website, there is a 28 gal. black tank and a 39 gal. grey tank. I can see *maybe* having two grey tanks (one for galley and one for bathroom), but not 2 black tanks for the floorplan on the website. Are you sure you read the panel correctly and have not mistaken one light for the fresh water tank or battery indicator?

The exterior photos show only one sewer connection point (at rear). Maybe the factory installed an incorrect display panel?

All black tanks in that model line are listed as 28 gal. Only 4 of 15 models show a grey tank larger than 39 gal. If there were truly 4 tanks, I'd expect to see 4 dump handles.

That logic sounds correct.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
It would be odd to have 2 black tanks. I've never seen that. Our old trailer did have 2 gray tanks, one for the galley sink and the other for the shower and it's sink. Check your dump valves and see where the pipes go. Very unlikely you have 2 black tanks. Black is for the toilet only (normally) and they rarely fill up, thus the need for only one.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
According to the manufacturer's website, there is a 28 gal. black tank and a 39 gal. grey tank. I can see *maybe* having two grey tanks (one for galley and one for bathroom), but not 2 black tanks for the floorplan on the website. Are you sure you read the panel correctly and have not mistaken one light for the fresh water tank or battery indicator?

The exterior photos show only one sewer connection point (at rear). Maybe the factory installed an incorrect display panel?

All black tanks in that model line are listed as 28 gal. Only 4 of 15 models show a grey tank larger than 39 gal. If there were truly 4 tanks, I'd expect to see 4 dump handles.

PapPappy
Explorer
Explorer
Who did you buy it from? Can they help you?
This seems like a strange question from someone who is Full Timing:h
Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with your TT, but as 2Oldman wondered, why don't you have manuals.
Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau 🙂
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.😞
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008:B FMCA# F407293
The Pets

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
No manual? Nothing online?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman