cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do your make your TC your own?

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
What does it take for you to feel that your newly acquired TC is uniquely yours? For me it's improvement projects. Since getting our 2002 Northern Lite 10-2 CD last year, the projects are:

(1) built a jig to keep the camper from sliding around in the truck box.
(2) upgraded the converter from single stage to multi-stage.
(3) replaced the countertop microwave with one in the overhead cabinet.
(4) built a jig to secure the microwave in place.
(5) installed a digital DC voltmeter that also serves as a night light.
(6) replaced the wall-clock movement with an atomic (radio controlled) one.
(7) installed a digital thermometer beneath the analog thermostat.
(8) replaced bulbs with LEDs.

And, I might add, other forum members have been a big help with information for some of these projects. Thanks.
30 REPLIES 30

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Deb and Ed M wrote:
In MY case - I gutted it. Tore out the non-functioning fridge; and the furnace I would never use even if it DID work. And since the gas line was damaged (not by me) - I took out the stove. I now have GOBS of kitchen storage, a huge pantry and a wardrobe; plus an outside cabinet to hold all the hookup equipment. Mine is probably a one-of-a-kind popup.

Lol. Yep it's unique. Now it's just a heavy tent!

And that's pretty much what I wanted!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
I searched and found the exact TC with the options that I wanted. I did peel all the warning and advertising labels off too. The part that makes my truck camper uniquely my own, is me making that darn payment every month.
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
We've done a few different things. Some time, I will document them all. Here's a partial list that isn't in a particular order.

Added a 2000watt inverter that sits on synthetic wood in the battery compartment.
Built and added a shelf/divider in the outside compartment.
Added shelf liners for all shelves.
Added a foam topper to the bed and mattress pad.
Changed sheets and added pillows, quilts, blankets, etc.
Tinted the Windows.
Added vent covers (it rains a lot in our area).
Replaced the existing table with a minitable that I made that uses the existing bracket for easy removal.
Added a magazine rack under the dinette.
Added d-rings to hold kennels in place that sit under the dinette cushions.
Add d-rings to keep the screen door shut. Provides a bit more security than the spring loaded latch.
Added foam to change the dinette cushion angle.
Added a cover of the foam above.
Added pillows for the dinette.
Covered various aluminum with wood finish contact paper.
Replaced the convection oven with a new one that is more efficient.
Added vents to the walls adjoining the convection oven for more ventilation.
Added adjustable shelves to the inside cabinets.
Made a tv bracket to hang a tv in the kitchen area.
Added d-rings to hold the tv in place in the closet.
Changed bulbs to LEDs.
Added organizers and containers to drawers/cabinets.
Added cloth wraps for the wires going to the bedroom tv and routed them.
Added a blu-ray player.
Added a small inverter that works off the 12v plug in the bedroom.
Bought dishes/pans/towels especially for the TC.
Added a first aid kit.
Added dually brackets.
Added a better sewer hose and adapted the storage compartment to fit.
Added a sewer hose adapter for hookups and store that in a zip lock in the black/grey/electric compartment.
Added a mount for a small glass grill.

Of course, this doesn't include truck modifications. 🙂

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered my TC too, and ordered all the factory options. The problem is they didnt include the 67 other options that I had to add to make the thing mine.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

Bedlam
The last three vehicles were ordered and the last two RV's were also ordered. There is a balance between cost and time - You have to decide what you want done and what you are willing to pay. I bought a RV to get away. Others have an RV to mod and keep themselves busy. Days I am working on gear are days I am not making another trip.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
I ordered mine the way I wanted.
Wow! You can do that?

Bedlam
I ordered mine the way I wanted.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
trailgranny50 wrote:
Don't know what I'm going do for entertainment between trips when I'm finished.
Don't worry. It's never finished.

trailgranny50
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is a long list of things from installing roof air unit, replacing dead hot water heater and bathroom black tank/shower pan and toilet, fantastic fan and shroud in bathroom, microwave, TV and satellite receiver, new converter and shore power cord, re-orient dinette table, carpet, chairs, counter extension, drapes and insulation, gray water tank in space where spare tire used to be under the truck, storage rack on back, cargo tray/steps and awnings. Just finished a grill table for Coleman grill stove and installing gas line extension to it from propane compartment with quick connects. Yup, she's really ours now, no one else would want her, but there's no leaks or rot and she and the old Duramax get along fine without truck mods. Best of all they're all long paid for and 95% of the work was done ourselves so no huge expenses there. Satisfaction of knowing how stuff is put together and exactly how old it all is. Everyone does some little things like we did that aren't mentioned here as well. Just using it and putting your personal things in the TC makes it your own. One doesn't need to go to the lengths we did unless it's needed or you just like to tinker. It's all good fun and a real learning experience. Don't know what I'm going do for entertainment between trips when I'm finished. Can't imagine the time and work some folks put in rebuilding and modernizing some of the really old ones but I'm sure it's a labor of love and rewarding in the end.
2004 Chevy 3500 Duramax all stock
1990 950 Shadow Cruiser Hard side multiple add-ons
Ancient Valco 10'x5' John boat
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser Trail Team
One-eyed Trail Horse and one horse trailer
Rocky, Annie, Muffie traveling Fur Babies

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I got mine I was occupy with dryrot for couple of seasons.
Than I add foldable steps.

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
I agree....adding mods gives the TC that personal touch and makes it yours. If I sold my TC it would take me a few hours to show the new owner all the stuff that I did to it.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Deb and Ed M wrote:
In MY case - I gutted it. Tore out the non-functioning fridge; and the furnace I would never use even if it DID work. And since the gas line was damaged (not by me) - I took out the stove. I now have GOBS of kitchen storage, a huge pantry and a wardrobe; plus an outside cabinet to hold all the hookup equipment. Mine is probably a one-of-a-kind popup.

Lol. Yep it's unique. Now it's just a heavy tent!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

languiduck
Explorer
Explorer
I know people like to mod their TC and that's fine. Different things are necessary for different folks. I consider anything uniquely mine when I own it by paying cash upfront, or finishing paying something off early. It ain't yours if there's a lien on it, so I choose to not spend much money on mods.
2006 F250
Palomino Bronco 800

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
I pulled at LEAST 12 lbs of stickers and warning labels off mine. lol
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.