cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How does one charge a dual battery vehicle?

RKW
Explorer
Explorer
What is the proper method of charging the batteries in a vehicle with dual batteries? Specifically my 2015 Ford SuperDuty Diesel.
Ryan

• 2015 Ford F250

• 2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8280 WS

• Dual Honda EU2000i Generators

The wages of sin are death; but after they're done taking out taxes, it's just a tired feeling.
17 REPLIES 17

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
RKW wrote:
The driver side battery was dead. No measurable capacity. The passenger battery had a capacity of 550. I replaced both. I also bought a Battery Tender and will mount it somewhere under the hood.

So you go long periods without running the truck? Hence the battery tender?
Good call if it sits for months at a time.
If it's a regular or semi regularly driven vehicle, a tender is unnecessary.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ This. Next topic...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
RKW wrote:
What is the proper method of charging the batteries in a vehicle with dual batteries? Specifically my 2015 Ford SuperDuty Diesel.

Hook up the charger to which ever battery is easiest to get to. The batteries are connected in parallel.
They will both charge when a charger is connected to one of them
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
RKW wrote:
The driver side battery was dead. No measurable capacity. The passenger battery had a capacity of 550. I replaced both. I also bought a Battery Tender and will mount it somewhere under the hood.

I had to replace my OEM set on my 2015 this fall as well. I don't know if it's climate related or what, but I can't seem to ever get more than about 4 years out of car/truck batteries before they need to be replaced.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 2000 F350 diesel gets used so little, I keep it on a 6A three stage smart charger, mounted just in front the secondary battery. I hate replacing 2 batteries....$$$$

RKW
Explorer
Explorer
Ryan

• 2015 Ford F250

The wages of sin are death; but after they're done taking out taxes, it's just a tired feeling.

RKW
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses. I ended up charging a single battery while it was in parallel. I'll have the health of the batteries checked and will replace based on the results.
Ryan

• 2015 Ford F250

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
cummins2014 wrote:
RKW wrote:

My question ,why are you having to charge them ?? Reason I ask is its a 2015 ,and I suspect you are due for new batteries. Just went thru this. I jumped it twice , drove it ,and it started okay the next day, the day after no go. That was enough of that , new batteries .

The biggest signs on the Ram trucks, and my son experienced it too, was crazy stuff happening electronically , radio not working etc. There is no slow cranking with these Rams, telling you the batteries are getting bad, its just one day it won't start. Just a click.

As far as charging I would disconnect them ,and charge separately.

My 2015 with 60K on the clock got batteries in Sept. If the voltage drops to much the "electronics" terminate the start sequence.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
RKW wrote:

My question ,why are you having to charge them ?? Reason I ask is its a 2015 ,and I suspect you are due for new batteries. Just went thru this. I jumped it twice , drove it ,and it started okay the next day, the day after no go. That was enough of that , new batteries .

The biggest signs on the Ram trucks, and my son experienced it too, was crazy stuff happening electronically , radio not working etc. There is no slow cranking with these Rams, telling you the batteries are getting bad, its just one day it won't start. Just a click.

As far as charging I would disconnect them ,and charge separately.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
harmanrk wrote:
Start the engine and let the alternator(s) do its job. .
I don't remember ever having to charge my truck's batteries. I didn't have any phantom loads that would draw it down.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

harmanrk
Explorer
Explorer
Since everyone has beat that answer to death. I'll throw this one out:

Start the engine and let the alternator(s) do its job. Not only will this charge the batteries, but it will circulate the fluids as well.
2017 Ford F250 CC-SB SRW PSD
2013 Solaire 190x

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
I've always connected my charger to the positive on one battery and the negative to a chassis ground. Been doing it for years with no issues.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
18F in Four Corners overnight. Get those batts charged up!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is this covered in your Ford Ownerโ€™s manual?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad