cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How durable is my ac?

wsc7050
Explorer
Explorer
hello. I have a 2016 13.5 Coleman Mach ac unit on my Nash 25c. The last couple of weeks I have been using the ac quite a bit during the day. It got me wondering, how many hours a day can these things run? What kind of maintenance should I be doing? And what kind of lifespan should I expect? Thanks in advance for any info. matt
22 REPLIES 22

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
RavensFan24 wrote:
I'm considering moving back to Florida and I have 2 dogs. My fear is of the A/C dying while they are in there in the summer heat without me home. Trying to figure out the best way to make sure they are safe without them having to be with me 24/7.

I would be more worried about a failure of the electric grid at the campground (total power outage, voltage spike, voltage drop out, etc) then I would be about a failure of my AC unit...

I would be hesitant to leave my dogs for an extended period in hot temps without a friendly neighbor who can check on them...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
RavensFan24 wrote:
I'm considering moving back to Florida and I have 2 dogs. My fear is of the A/C dying while they are in there in the summer heat without me home. Trying to figure out the best way to make sure they are safe without them having to be with me 24/7.

Environmental monitors are easy to setup, I've used ones that call a person (or a rotation of numbers until someone acknowledges the alarm), send an SMS (text) message, or an email. They have them with POTS (telephone) connections, cellular, and wifi or Ethernet data ports.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
RavensFan24 wrote:
May want some type of alarm that sends a text if the power goes out or the temperature exceeds your limit.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Using the AC unit when the voltage is below 105 volts and often enough will cause permanent cumulative damage and result in premature failure.

Decent voltage depends on the CGs (or other locations) you use. At a min., use a plug-in or permanently mounted LED digital voltmeter inside. Best thing is an EMS unit that will automatically shut off the power. Using a portable voltmeter to check a pedestal *might* help but voltage can drop after you turn on loads and also voltage in a CG section can drop at certain times in a day and when there are a lot of users running ACs and other high loads.

If you bought a new TT you will know how it's been treated but on a used TT you won't know how often the AC was used under low voltage conditions.

RavensFan24
Explorer
Explorer
2010 Chevy Tahoe & 2015 Keystone Bullet Premier 30'

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
GordonThree wrote:
Clean the rooftop coils now and then if you think of it. Clean the inside air filter maybe once or twice a season depending on how much you cook in the trailer.

Yup. Our old trailer was 17 years old (1998 Nash 22H, loved that thing!) when we sold it. AC ran cold the day we sold it. I wouldn't worry about it, keep yourself comfortable. If they fail, they can be fixed or replaced.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
time2roll wrote:
It is a machine, it does not get tired. It is good to run 24/7/365.
Probably last 8 to 20+ years.

Ditto.

BNSF railroad uses them on their locomotive cabs, two of them.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on checking and cleaning the coils often.

I RV'd mostly in the Midwest and never gave a thought to coil cleaning and my AC worked fine.

THEN....I moved on down to Florida for several months. A couple of months parked there and my AC wouldn't cool.

Called Mobile Repair and the first thing he did was show me the coils that were completely covered in Florida's famous green mold! He washed the coils off and I had cold air again.

So if you are RV'ing in the South cleaning the coils often is paramount. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:

I guess stretching it to 100 years is a bit much, isn't it? :B

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is a machine, it does not get tired. It is good to run 24/7/365.

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
its better for it to run than repetitive start stop.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

wsc7050
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone! I won't worry about running it 8-10 hours at a time anymore!

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Our first rig, a 1990 Bounder had a failure within a month or so of purchase and the replacement was running well when we sold it two years ago.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
I just replaced the Coleman A/C on my 1990 rig. It was working fine until I snagged a low hanging overhead cable wire on a street I was on
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind