cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Important is Garage Storage?

carlsdrivein
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys. I’m looking to purchase my first travel trailer and I’m between a few different ones. I’ve narrowed it down to either an egg fiberglass camper, like a scamp or an alto safari, either the model with the retractable roof or a fixed roof. But something that I can’t seem to get enough info for is how important is storing a camper in a garage because with the retractable roof option of the alto, it could easily fit inside our garage whenever we’re not using it, so this would be helpful against protecting it from the elements, but I don’t know if it’s worth the extra worry that the retractable roof will bring since more moving parts usually equals more repairs / maintaining. Is a outside storage with a cover sufficient to prolong the life of the trailer or should I opt for the model I can store in my garage?? I would really appreciate any advice!
24 REPLIES 24

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well there you have it. Opinions for keeping the TT in a garage and those that basically said do nothing but camp in it. To me it’s important for my MH, Toad to look nice, well maintained. I had several, some I’ve had to store outside, stored off site under a shed, and currently store under a carport next to my house. So far the carport has been a blessing, a garage would be better. Keeps critters at bay, both four legged and winged one too. Helps keep the roof cleaner, reduce black streaks, less UV damage to the external items. Your choice, choose wisely..
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
kellem wrote:
We could fill pages with various opinions regarding storage and doubt any would be wrong.

Possible minority here but we actually DON'T store/cover our trailer.
It's plugged to AC, furnace set to 38*, slides out and fully stocked.....It's there if we need it.

Acutally, I would bet the "no cover folks" are the "majority" of RV owners and you and I are not the only ones that don't cover or store in a building.

Yes, the exterior will over time show some wear and tear, but that is the nature of the beast..

You HAVE to pull it out of the cover to camp in it, so may as well not worry about the exposure so much, after all you bought it to use it..

I mean, it isn't like your gonna be able to take your garage with you camping, right?

I watched my Dad spend hrs and hrs primping, washing, waxing his RV for yrs and yrs but in the end, it is a USED RV and as a USED RV the resale value is pretty dismal..

I don't bother with all that, I wash it off once per yr and go camping without wasting my time on primping and trying to keep it looking like new..

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
We could fill pages with various opinions regarding storage and doubt any would be wrong.

Possible minority here but we actually DON'T store/cover our trailer.
It's plugged to AC, furnace set to 38*, slides out and fully stocked.....It's there if we need it.

I do however apply aerospace 303 to entire exterior of trailer every 6 weeks, stuff is amazing.
Trailers are houses on wheels and how many cover their houses when they leave for the winter.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I stored my old (80s) Palomino pop up in my garage. It looked like new when I sold it !

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
They are designed to be used outdoors, so unless you plan to "camp" inside a garage forever it really doesn't matter much does it?

Your going to have to pull it out of a shelter/garage or from under tarp to use it anyways so why the fuss?

RVs come and go, they are not "forever homes".

Use it, take good care by doing routine maintenance and don't worry so much about "fading stickers or paint"..

Buy what you like and what works best for you..

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
It's up to you. Do you want to keep it for a long time?

Our trailer is a 1990 - always stored inside and it is still like new.

Our class B is a 2004 - always stored inside and it is still like new. We did have to build a garage that it would fit in - storing inside is that important to us.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Had a long reply, but in your location Anchorage, I’d say outdoors and covered vs indoors is about 90% as good.
Outdoors and uncovered (in the off season) maybe 50% as good as indoors.

Most important part is getting the most enjoyment out of your investment. Secondary is protecting your investment.

The other consideration is, unless you have adequate garage space for vehicles AND camper, I’d garage the vehicles before leaving one outside in the winter, to house the camper.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Despite what many think, these things are not going to hold up for many years outdoors. The roof will deteriorate, caulking will harden and crack, plastic will yellow, skylights will crack, tires will crack, frames will rust, paint will fade, water leaks will appear, awnings will rot and decals will curl. There is a reason that they are traded frequently at a considerable cost.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm outside but tarp covered. To each his/her own. With adequate roof maintenance and waxing/UV protection of the sides and tires, outside is fine.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO it is how important it is to YOU!! Yes, it would be easier to keep it clean and protected, but outside storage is the by far most common storage method.

If it was MY decision if two choices were equal in other desires, and it was down to a "flip of a coin" then the one that would fit in the garage would win.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!