cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How much below MSRP should we be paying for a new TT?

RTHARIO
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, my wife and I are in the market for a new TT. We have had both a folding trailer and currently a hybrid so we are not new to RVing. Recently, we discovered Outdoors RV and really like them.

Since there is only one dealer in AZ, we donโ€™t have a comparison for pricing and what a reasonable price would be to pay. We have not purchased a new trailer before but I would imagine is pretty much the same as buying a car.

MSRP for the unit we are looking at (โ€˜18 Timber Ridge 27BHS) including some additional options is $45,669.

So, what have you paid for your trailer? How was your negotiatiating experience and please share any tips or advice you have. (Not specifically with Outdoors)

Thanks in advance.
50 REPLIES 50

Copperhead
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Haylett RV in Coldwater, MI. They post online both the MSRP and their price which includes everything, no hidden charges and other nonsense. The price they quote online is the price it costs to drive it or tow it off their lot. And many times, those price spreads between MSRP and out the door is substantial. Any dealer you talk with should be able to come darn close.

Just make it simple up front. Ask them what it is going to take for you to drive or tow that RV off the lot. No BS add on stuff later. You either agree or disagree. But also keep in mind, while you may not be paying the lowest price, are you getting a good dealership that will look out for you by paying a little more? That can be worth it sometimes. Just like with commercial equipment, one is buying the dealership along with the product. Only if the final price is totally insane compared to other places should you dismiss the local dealership.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
DallasSteve wrote:
Someone commented about different MSRP at different dealers on the same unit. I think I've seen that happen on RV Trader. It may be that some units have more options installed so that would raise the MSRP. I also say 25 to 30 percent discount seems to be the norm, but in the end you need to shop around and compare and see what is the best price you can find on the rig that you want. I might pay a little more if it is closer to where I am or where I want to be (geographically).
That was me - and yes I checked. All optioned the same, but all over the board in terms of price. Agree on paying slightly more for the closest dealer.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ron3rd wrote:
RTHARIO wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
Here's my recommendation if you want to see the lowest price you could theoretically buy the trailer for:

Go to these 2 websites and get prices: www.rvwholesalers.com and www.rvdirect.com. You'll be shocked at the prices these 2 sell at. Factor in any shipping if that applies to your situation.

This will be your lowest price, even with their delivery charge added in. Next, use that as leverage in bargaining with your dealer.

I looked into both these websites and unfortunately I canโ€™t find Outdoors RV on either one.

Works for most brands but not all! Good luck in your search.

I have done the same with RVW when they carried the brand we were looking at, but here is the kicker.

RVW's pricing has a few caveats.

They are only 150 miles from Elkhart so delivery from factory to them is minimal, any price they quote you or advertise is at least $1000.00 lower than you get if you pay cash or bring your own financing to the table, its contingent on using their financing so there is money in there that goes in their pocket, I'd guess that to be @ $2500 you leave on the table overall. Any other dealer worth his salt knows all of that, and most will not be shy to point it out by saying "Go buy from them then".

Dealers in RVW's local market can and will beat or match RVW's price most of the time without any of the financing or other BS. There is no such thing as "Wholesale" in the RV industry. In most states that word could not be used in a name as it would be against deceptive advertising laws, That's not the case in Ohio. RVW and other such entities are simply dealers the same as all the rest.

The M in MSRP is for mythical.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Someone commented about different MSRP at different dealers on the same unit. I think I've seen that happen on RV Trader. It may be that some units have more options installed so that would raise the MSRP. I also say 25 to 30 percent discount seems to be the norm, but in the end you need to shop around and compare and see what is the best price you can find on the rig that you want. I might pay a little more if it is closer to where I am or where I want to be (geographically).
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

RTHARIO
Explorer
Explorer
I should have specified their โ€œfeesโ€
City Sales tax 8.05%
Title and Doc Fee $385
AZ registration (TBD)
They assure me that those are the only fees applied beyond sales price.

Thatโ€™s a good point about the slide topper brands.
Their offering me a discount is a joke. I would imagine they would offer that to anyone buying a trailer from them.

Waunacamper
Explorer
Explorer
I don't like the "plus fees" part as they can throw in all kinds of things like a cleaning fee or a PDI fee. Figure out your sales tax and then come up with an offer. They are at $36,185 + fees etc.. maybe offer $37,000 "out the door". Be careful with the slide topper as part of the deal. They will give you the cheapest one possible unless you specify an exact model. Dometic makes good ones but there are different qualitiy levels also. Good luck!
2017 ORV Timber Ridge 27BHS
2015 Ram 2500 (6.4/4.10)

RTHARIO
Explorer
Explorer
Update:

Iโ€™m haggling with the dealer. The MSRP for the unit is $47,683 including freight and options.

The haggling so far has been
Me: $31,000 plus fees
Dealer: $36,685 plus fees
Me: $35,500 plus fees and they install a slide topper
Dealer: $36,185 plus fees and they give me a discount on said slide topper

What do you guys think ? Any ideas ?

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Trying, to judge the TT market when the industry had set record the sales for the last three years is difficult. But the dealer has a price they will not go below.

On things to establish immediately is, the selling price is the price out the door. It includes all taxes, fees and prep charges.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
I installed the RV Trader app on my phone and searched within 300 miles of my home for a 2018 Grand Design fifth wheel 303RLS. Local dealer wants 56,941 - we visited and toured multiple units. Two other locations have them at 54,964 and 39,995.

So I'm wondering what price to offer 30% off from. If I go to the local dealer, I could tell him to install a second AC in the front bedroom with a thermostat and offer 39,995 to match his closest competitor. Or I could travel the 200 + miles and haggle with the guy who has it listed for 39,995.

Have looked at used, but prefer the upgrades in this years model.

Would def go to local dealer and see if he will match the other dealer at 39,995. Ultimately, you would much rather have a local dealer for service. If he is a good businessman, he won't lose the sale and cause you to go to the other guy! If he doesn't agree, walk out and go to the competitor. My guess is the local guy will call you within 24 hrs and match it. It is January. They want to move units out the door now!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
I installed the RV Trader app on my phone and searched within 300 miles of my home for a 2018 Grand Design fifth wheel 303RLS. Local dealer wants 56,941 - we visited and toured multiple units. Two other locations have them at 54,964 and 39,995.

So I'm wondering what price to offer 30% off from. If I go to the local dealer, I could tell him to install a second AC in the front bedroom with a thermostat and offer 39,995 to match his closest competitor. Or I could travel the 200 + miles and haggle with the guy who has it listed for 39,995.

Have looked at used, but prefer the upgrades in this years model.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Last years model can be up to 50% off !

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
The whole pricing thing gets more interesting when a trade is involved. Do you feel better getting $10,000 for your $5,000 trade in or would you rather get $5,000 off MSRP and only a $5,000 allowance? The difference can be $20,000 either way but some will think one is better than the other.

Waunacamper
Explorer
Explorer
Get the X4 offroad option, well worth it. Better tires, better suspension and better tongue jack. Only raises trailer 1 inch.
2017 ORV Timber Ridge 27BHS
2015 Ram 2500 (6.4/4.10)

RTHARIO
Explorer
Explorer
Waunacamper wrote:
We bought that exact model last March (2017 model). I had been searching the internet for that model for a while watching prices. The lowest price I found was 34,999 (not the dealer we bought from). There are not that many dealers and it is not the most popular model so quantities are low and they sell fast. Once we sold our old trailer we found the closest one to us which was in Idaho and called. I offered 35,000 out-the-door including dual batteries and an awning cradle and they took it. Came out to about 20% off. By the way we love the trailer.

Thank you so much for the info. We appreciate it!