cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How much for new injectors for a duramax

snowpeke
Explorer
Explorer
I was quoted 6 grand for new injectors for my 2002 Duramax is that to much?
2002 Chevy DuraMax
2014 jayco eagle
Two Pekingese dogs
22 REPLIES 22

98silvz71
Explorer
Explorer
Honestly there are a ton of independent diesel shops around that could put all new injectors in for less than $4000. Most GM dealers only have one or maybe two diesel techs on staff. Our area only has one at the bigger dealers and the smaller ones have one that rotates between dealers. That means that they have to tie that one diesel tech up on one truck for about 3 days or more replacing your injectors. They will charge more because of that. Take it from a guy that had his 04 LB7 injectors replaced at a GM dealer. They had our truck for more than a week to get it finished. If you love the truck like I loved mine, get them fixed but I would check with an independent diesel shop.
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CC/SB Duramax - 20K B&W Companion, Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks and Stabilizer, BFG A/T KO2
2014 Keystone Fuzion 342 Toyhauler
2008 Arctic Cat 700 Diesel

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
^Deoends what's wrong with the injectors. Early LB7 Bosch injectors weren't fixable. But a qt of good old cheap ATF in the tank helps with carbon buildup. Doesn't help bad ball/seat, drivers or electrical issues.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
6 grand sounds about right from a GM dealer as other have said, they are buried. Before replacing them, try a bottle of Hot Shot Secret Stiction remover 1st. About 60 bucks and money back guarantee.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Winnebago Bob wrote:
Sounds ballpark. Depends on a lot of factors. I hear the new Duramax engines added another injector to keep up with Ford and Chevy in the HP/TQ battle.

Seeing as how it's a known fail, it makes you wonder why they would compound the problem rather than solve it.

Assuming your serious, yes the 9th injector was added to Dmax and Pstrokes. But it's not in the engine. They don't make a V9!
It's in the exhaust stream, kicks in and increases egt's for a re gen. Has nothing to do with making more power.

The Power Stroke does not have a 9th injector although I do prefer the injector in the exhaust stream vs injecting fuel into the cylinders on the exhaust stroke like ram and ford does.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Winnebago Bob wrote:
Sounds ballpark. Depends on a lot of factors. I hear the new Duramax engines added another injector to keep up with Ford and Chevy in the HP/TQ battle.

Seeing as how it's a known fail, it makes you wonder why they would compound the problem rather than solve it.

Assuming your serious, yes the 9th injector was added to Dmax and Pstrokes. But it's not in the engine. They don't make a V9!
It's in the exhaust stream, kicks in and increases egt's for a re gen. Has nothing to do with making more power.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago Bob wrote:

It's only a known fail on the early Duramax LB7 which ceased production in mid-year 2004. Duramax injectors have been relatively problem free since then, over 12 years.

ng2951
Explorer
Explorer
My mechanic generally recommends getting YOUR injectors rebuilt. He says there are less problems in the long run.
Foard County News & Sassy Schoolmarm
with Chloe, Belle, & Danke
2017 GD Imagine 2800BH
2017 53 days camping
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Classic 4x4 LBZ Duramax Diesel
Honda 2000sThe Bayou Bounty Hunters Cowboy Club
The Single Action Shooting Society

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Note the terminology has changed a bit over the years regarding re furb, re built, re man, or even "new".
Been a few years since I did my common rail dodge, but at the time I bought "new" injectors that were actually re mans. Old injector bodies, all new components. At that time, "virgin" injectors were the "brand new"" ones and they were like $600 a piece.

Now with the new supply caught up to demand, no good reason to not buy new OE Bosch injectors and be done with it.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
There are basically 3 types of injectors available.
New injectors which can be had for around $300/ea
Reman injectors which can be a safe alternative depending on the source, which are old injector bodies completely rebuilt with all new components.
Re furbished injectors which may simply be old injectors that still operate within spec or repaired to the least extent to get them in spec. Avoid these for the most part unless you like wrenching.
Anything but new and the buyer needs to do careful research.

$6k for new injectors sounds high by a grand or so, if talking LB7, but depends what's re used or if all new injector lines etc are installed.

Expensive proposition either way and I would shop around and not discount local hi perf diesel shops as these guys generally are enthusiasts that have done more than your avg dealer tech and have reduced overheads.

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just about a year and a half ago I had mine replaced at the GMC dealer on my "03". Said it was a $5000 job but they knew of the early injector failures and did it for $2995 as a curtsey discount. Rebuilt injectors, one year, 12000 mile warranty.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
travelnutz wrote:

Just wondering, how many miles on your 2002 as it's 15 years old now?

And I'm wondering what would lead you to believe that all of the injectors should be changed in the first place ??

If it is an extremely high mileage engine, it might not be worth the money. How much to install a "salvaged" whole engine ??
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Bigfoot_affair
Nomad II
Nomad II
Merchant automotive has a complete kit with new injectors with no core charge for $3443.

New injectors

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Buddy of mine paid $4,800 for injectors in San Diego a few weeks ago. Dealer quoted over $7,000 so he went to a independent shop.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Winnebago Bob wrote:
I hear the new Duramax engines added another injector to keep up with Ford and Chevy in the HP/TQ battle.

Duramax IS a Chevy, or GMC
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator