cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How much truck for a shortbed TC with a slide?

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
This past weekend, I was looking at TCs with a family member (what she likes is a big factor in decisions), I've narrowed down possible candidates to the Lance 855S or the Arctic Fox 811.

The 855S dry is 2650 pounds. The AF 811 is 2873 pounds. Realistically, with full tanks, batteries, supplies, and other stuff, I'm going to add 1000-1500 pounds to that total, possibly 2000 pounds, assuming a lot of gear.

A Ford F-350's payload (assuming a gasser, extended cab, shortbed, 4x4, SRW) varies between 3400-4170 pounds. I am looking at a 4.3 gear ratio, which will allow the vehicle to be in the higher end of the spectrum.

With this in mind, assuming I'm towing a smallish trailer sometimes, will a SRW do the trick, or is this well into DRW territory? I'm "lucky" because both the truck and the TC are being selected at the same time, so I can match both fairly accurately. My fear is buying the truck and suspension mods (airbags), buying the TC and its accessories, then finding that even though the paper numbers are OK, in reality, the rig is overweight by the numbers. Yes, airbags, additional leafs, and such help, but the manufacturer ratings are not going to change.

Thanks again... I look around, but nothing beats opinions of people who know what they are doing.
64 REPLIES 64

AISURFFISH
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
AISURFFISH wrote:
Did someone say remote location, NOTE SRW.....

Nice pic. I'm sure that is pretty remote, but I can easily camp miles from a paved road and not see a person for days with a DRW. Remote can mean different things to different people.

Does not matter how you get there or what your in as long as you just get there...
2017 F350 6.2L Crew Cab

Arctic Fox 990 2021 TORK-LIFT FAST GUNS AND SUPER HITCH
COOLER RACK OFF THE FRONT ALWAYS FULL OF FISHING RODS TICA TO BE EXACT

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
AISURFFISH wrote:

Nice pic. I'm sure that is pretty remote, but I can easily camp miles from a paved road and not see a person for days with a DRW. Remote can mean different things to different people.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

AISURFFISH
Explorer
Explorer

2017 F350 6.2L Crew Cab

mooring_product
Explorer
Explorer
I own a SB dually. When we first started our RV adventures I owned a F250 that hauled an old TC around with ease. We later found a great deal on our current Lance and were still new to understanding weight and proper suspension so we pulled the trigger not even thinking.
The F250 was lifted, had wide tires on it and wasn't a good hauler for a camper. Instead of converting it back to stock I decided to look at a new truck. The F350 SRW was my first choice but the price was 10K more then the RAM Mega DRW. The dealer also gave my 10K for my old truck...

Here she is.
Easter 2014 Sugarloaf KOA by MooringProduct, on Flickr

With my current mods we are getting 13mpg highway.
Pete
2012 RAM 3500 Mega DRW. Stable Loads and Torklift tiedowns.
2006 Lance 881 Max.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Larry37 wrote:
I always thought the point to having a TC. Is to get in more remote places.

So, I guess you need to trade for a smaller truck and camper like a four wheel camper. It's all about what you want to tradeoff. ๐Ÿ˜‰

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Larry37
Explorer
Explorer
I always thought the point to having a TC. Is to get in more remote places. My shortbed 4x4 Dodge will go a lot farther off the pavement with my Arctic fox 811 than any dually will.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nice video. Another nice one on that same page (at least for me) about someone taking a fifth wheel where even some tcs shouldn't go. ๐Ÿ™‚ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icXipapYSmg

tad94564
Explorer
Explorer
Youtube video of the Host triple slide short bed camper..

Personally, no truck camper belongs on a lifted truck.. but I live in a glass house, and will not say anything to anyone about that.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Powelligator wrote:
Holy Center of gravity, Batman! They're showing that off on a lifted 4X4 chevy truck with what look to be at least 20" aftermarket rims?

Larger diameter rims could actually be better with less sidewall flex. However, I'm not a proponent of crew cab shortbeds and older chevys. That's about as bad as it gets for a a TC hauler.

Oh well, we all get to make our choices.

Powelligator
Explorer
Explorer
Out of curiosity I just clicked on the link to the Host website to see more info on the camper referenced above:

http://www.hostcampers.com/subs/campers/camper_Aspen%20SB.html

Holy Center of gravity, Batman! They're showing that off on a lifted 4X4 chevy truck with what look to be at least 20" aftermarket rims? Call me conservative but I don't think I'd be comfortable driving that down the road. To get back to the original poster in this thread, you'll be fine if you just leave the truck stock.

I'd be curious to hear what the dually crowd (no offense) has to say after looking at that setup.

Joe
2014 F-350 carrying a 1995 Lance 4000
1994 F-250HD carrying nothing, enjoying its retirement. ๐Ÿ™‚

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
mlts22 wrote:
I've never heard of Host Campers. I wonder how their build quality is compared to AF or Lance ...

As you can see from my signature, I have a Host and owned it since new. Obviously, that is a small sample.

In any case, reading rv.net since around that time of purchase, it seems the build quality is about the same for all manufacturers. That is, they all miss sometimes which I believe is due to the hand built nature and less than stellar quality control. It's very important to have a predelivery checklist to make sure that the one you buy is ok no matter what brand you buy.

I have no regrets about my choice for what it is worth.

AISURFFISH
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Lance 881 its really heavy but the truck does fine.. I did however add 2 HD leafs in the rea and 1 HD leaf in the front. The work was done by a professional spring shop in Delaware, Blue Hen Springs. The cost was about $1100 but the ride loaded is like a dream... Camper off "wild west stage coach" but I have a short commute in the winter to work and the camper stays on all camping season march till november. No regrets, I had sheered off 2 air bag bolts prior to the spring work and now only need about 30 lbs in each side to counter the uneveness that somes with full to empty tanks and what we pack to travle. I also tow a boat from time to time with the tork lift super hitch and other times I tow the motorcycle on a trailer.
I love the Short bed and how easy it is to maunver. We have plenty of room 2 adults and a 5 and 10 year old. Keep in mind one thing!!! how much time do you acctually spend in the camper. For us its only a place to sleep and shower other than that myself and the kids are out fishing, boating, enjoying the outdoors or other stuff.....
2017 F350 6.2L Crew Cab

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I've never heard of Host Campers. I wonder how their build quality is compared to AF or Lance, although having a three-slide shortbed camper is definitely a nice thing to have, especially with their model that can have two 20# propane cylinders and the onboard generator.

Only issue with that side entry floorplan is that when the slides are in, you can't enter the rig, so a slide failure might be a show-stopper.

tad94564
Explorer
Explorer
Powelligator wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
Host has a triple slide short bed model with side entry:

http://www.hostcampers.com/subs/campers/camper_Aspen%20SB.html

I kind of knew that as soon as I hit the "Post" button someone, somewhere, would correct me and point out an innovative side-entry short bed design. I stand corrected. ๐Ÿ™‚

That said, that's one interesting floorplan. The tub slides with the rest of the left side wall? Maybe not my cup of tea (I'm an 8' bed never has to be made kind of guy) but for purposes of pure curiosity sure would like to see that in person.

Joe

The tub is fixed in place. The wall with toilet and sink moves out. Makes for a HUGE dry bathroom. The black tank is in the slide, under the toilet and sink.