cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mold Under Memory Foam

JerBear
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a new memory foam mattress two years an ago and love it. Very comfy and soooo much easier to get it in and out of the camper. Much warmer in cold weather too. We do have a little problem with mold under it however. The past two springs after returning home from our winter travels we have noticed some mold on the unfinished plywood under the mattress. Any ideas as to the best way to lift the mattress a little and let the air circulate?

JerBear
2007 CITATION Supreme 10'8" Truck Camper,Torklift Fastguns, Torklift Tiedowns,Torklift Superhitch,Reese Front Hitch, Honda EU2000i Generator, 2x100 Watt Solar Panel /MPPT Controller, 2500 Watt Inverter.
2006 GMC 3500HD DRW Ex. Cab Truck, Duramax/Allison
27 REPLIES 27

flinchlock
Explorer
Explorer
I also can not contact them, can you also PM me?

Thanks,
Mike

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
JerBear wrote:
billyray50 wrote:
Again dry mesh is a good product and only 80 bucks.

Do you have the contact info for Drymesh. Tried calling their Connecticut office from their website and the phone has been disconnected.

I sent you a PM.

JerBear
Explorer
Explorer
billyray50 wrote:

Do you have the contact info for Drymesh. Tried calling their Connecticut office from their website and the phone has been disconnected.
2007 CITATION Supreme 10'8" Truck Camper,Torklift Fastguns, Torklift Tiedowns,Torklift Superhitch,Reese Front Hitch, Honda EU2000i Generator, 2x100 Watt Solar Panel /MPPT Controller, 2500 Watt Inverter.

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. That was exactly what I was looking for. The Froli spring setup is expensive at 400 bones for a queen bed, but it definitely will add both cushioning and allow air to circulate. The Cedar Breather is probably a lot less expensive, and as described above, will do the job.

joerg68
Nomad III
Nomad III
I've seen some European RVs with squarish springs, high enough to give about 1/2 inch between the mattress and the base. However, I can't find them on a search engine

I think you are looking for the "Froli":
http://www.froli.com/en/home/
http://www.froli.com/en/leisure/

This thread inspired me to order a roll of Drymesh for our Outfitter. After the last winter, there were some black spots on the underside of the mattress. I'll see if it helps...
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
mlts22 wrote:
I feel dumb by asking, but what keeps the mesh from getting compressed and not working?

It's not a dumb question and you are just asking because you are curious, nothing wrong with that.

This stuff is really stiff and it only compresses a little. Here is the compression of the Cedar Breather

•Compression & thickness:
Zero lbs/ft² - .27 in
100 lbs/ft² - .26 in
200 lbs/ft² - .25 in

As you can see that it only compresses .02" with 200# per a square foot. I can't think of anybody that would be able to get into the cab over of a TC that weighs enough to compress 200# in a square foot when laying down. They would have to be 5' tall and weigh over 1,000#. This I want to see them crawl into the overhead bed. :B
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I feel dumb by asking, but what keeps the mesh from getting compressed and not working?

JerBear
Explorer
Explorer
This looks like the product I will be going with. It comes in cut sheets the same size as a queen mattress.

www.drymesh.net/

Now just have to source it in Canada. Thks for all the replies!!

JerBear

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen some European RVs with squarish springs, high enough to give about 1/2 inch between the mattress and the base. However, I can't find them on a search engine.

I like the Dri-Dek product, but I wonder if it would puncture the foil insulation that I see in common use under the mattress.

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Stars101 wrote:
I prop mine up on pool noodles when we aren't using it.

Pool noodles... great cheap idea!!

btggraphix
Explorer
Explorer
I went in with Butch on that roll of breather material and just put it in yesterday. Since we haven't left for the expo yet I can't say how well it works but I followed Butch's plans and lapped the material up under the headboard into that dead space so air from that end of the bed should be able to move under the mattress. My only concern would be that air is cooler and as it sinks under the bed it could cause an interface of cold dry with warm moist and could cause condensation under there where it mixes. The flip side is the cold dense air will help with air movement.

In any case, it's in and I'll see how well it works soon. We haven't seen condensation problems under the mattress in the Lance but after a bunch of years with the S&s I definitely saw some. I expect when we are full timing we'll see it more.
2006 LanceMax 1191 - loaded and well-used
2005 C4500/Kodiak 4x4, GVWR 17,500

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
The moisture has to come from somewhere.

Breathing
showers
cooking (burnig propane and the food itself)
Wave heaters
wetclothing
atmosphere

Warm air holds the moisture

Cold air and surfaces causes it to condense

Solutions:

Ventlation

eliminate or at least minimize sources:

Fast showers

minimize cooking on the stove tyop or in the oven

eat salads and sandwiches (or eat in resturants when possible :W

or use your microwave (your generator discharges moisture to the outside)

Use a cube heater if on shore power. Use your furnace or a vented PlatCat Heater if boondocking.

Remove as much excess water from clothing before taking it into your camper

You can't control the atmosphere

And forgoodness sakes... keep breathing.

Remember... you are the ultimate cause of this controlable problem and you can easily solve it...

Sleepy
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

Stars101
Explorer
Explorer
I prop mine up on pool noodles when we aren't using it.