cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How often should I sanitize?

Sinnettc
Explorer
Explorer
How often should I sanitize my fresh water tank? We often have several weeks between trips; it will be about a month this time. So far we've been in CGs with full hook ups and decent water, so the water in the tank is primarily in case we need a stop along the way. I drain the tank at the end of our trip so there's not much in there when the trailer is sitting down at the lock up.

I'm a bit generous with the bleach and the water I dumped at the end of this trip was still smelling a bit bleachy, even though I'd filled & drained the tank after the bleach treatment.

Should I sanitize before each trip or is there some kind of guideline on when it should be done?
1995 Chevy Silverado K1500 4x4 short bed
2010 Trail Cruiser 23QBC
2001 Catalina Capri 22 sailboat "Verboten"
19 REPLIES 19

ezrydrs
Explorer
Explorer
Do any of you use Camco 40206 TastePURE Drinking Water Freshener or any other additive in your fresh water tanks? I was just curious if it was worthwhile to use throughout the season.

Sinnettc
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. Guess I can let DW use the bottle of bleach for other things now. ๐Ÿ˜„
1995 Chevy Silverado K1500 4x4 short bed
2010 Trail Cruiser 23QBC
2001 Catalina Capri 22 sailboat "Verboten"

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
We bought a used rig and sanitized it in February when we were in the south. We drained it in March when we got back to the cold. I will refill, flush and refill again, when we leave in July.

We use mostly CG water when availible.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
We sanitize about twice a year. Don't forget to run the bleach solution through the white hose to sanitize it, too. Also, don't forget the outside shower. When we hook up, I always wipe the faucet with an antibacterial wipe, and run the water before I attach the hose. That blows the spiders out! Plus, just in case a dog peed on it!

engine31
Explorer
Explorer
Spring and fall for us. I use about 2 cap fulls of Clorox per full tank of water run it through the system drain it and refill with fresh water run it thru the system and drain then I am ready.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty much the same as wmoses. Sanitize in the spring when we dewinterize. We rarely carry more water in the FW tank than to allow for a bathroom/handwashing break. If you know that you're TT is going to be sitting in the hot weather for a while, suggest you drain the FW tank....we didn't - as we usually do - and after a few weeks we started getting a funky odor. Finally tracked it down to the water left in the tank. Had to re-sanitize and we were good. We always camp with at least water/electric and when we can FHU. We use the hookup water for dishwashing and showers, but we installed a PUR faucet mount filter for drinking/cooking. We don't like the idea of a zillion empty plastic bottles in the landfills, so this works best for us.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

Escargot
Explorer
Explorer
I routinely sanitize the FW tank in the early Spring. Once in a while I will sanitize some other time during the year but it's more of a psychological factor than anything else.

Coffee is the only thing I don't use water from the tank for... just because...
2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
once a year, usually. we're on a well, so our water is not chlorinated. if your home water is treated, you don't have to worry about it, just run a tank through it before you start out and then fill it with fresh and go.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
I don't drink the water from my tank. I sanitize it once during the spring and leave the tank empty between my weekend trips. The dog drinks the tank water and seems fine with this. Of course, the dog also drinks from my home toilet too. lol
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

W_E_BGood
Explorer
Explorer
Sinnettc...I sanitize our fresh water tank once in the spring in the de-winterizing process using Camco FreshTabs. The process is MUCH easier (for me) and smells better afterwards than using bleach. So far, no problems...qualifier: we rarely "drink" from our fresh water tank (we carry gallon jugs of bottled water just because we prefer the taste) beyond sometimes rinsing our mouths after brushing teeth. We still wash our dishes with it and the dog seems fine with it too.
I'm not sure if geographic location might have anything to do with the development of bacteria in the "stored" tank (i.e. do warm year-round southern climes help create a more prolific growth environment?).

For the FreshTabs, I mix one tablet in a glass of warm water, pour it in the tank, add 15 gals of water, run pump water through all the pipes, drive trailer around the block, drain everything and flush once with 10 gals. of water. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Majja13
Explorer
Explorer
I do mine once a year. I usually do slightly more the a cap full fill flush through system and then drain the main tank. I then refill and drain the main a couple more times.
2015 GMC Sierra 2500hd 6.0 w/4:10 rear end
2006 SkyLine Weekender 180
1200/12000 Equal-i-zer WDH

Monaco_Montclai
Explorer
Explorer
I use a cap full any bottle cap is enought for me .once or twice a yr.but do change the water every couple of months. Now ita all happy -camping

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
The manual for our rig says once a year minimum.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Spring and again about mid-season for us. If I go too long I can taste the funkiness in the water.

Even if you don't use the tank, you should still sanitize the pipes.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900