cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to tell dual pane/thermal pane windows on Arctic Fox?

rob990
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I was talking to a person selling an Arctic Fox on craigslist and they claim it has the cold weather package, but I have some doubt about that, so I asked if it had the thermal pane (dual pane) windows and they were unsure.

Is there a way to visually see the difference on a recent (2013) Arctic Fox TC?

(I'm not local to where it's being sold and unable to go view it myself)
32 REPLIES 32

blueglide
Explorer
Explorer
Well I stand corrected...my AF 1150 has a single pane of tinted glass...definitely not two panes (dual pane). The confusing part is my windows are configured with the horizontal, sliding windows described in insp1505's reply. I guess I correctly have 'storm windows' although I can't find that option or description listed on the Northwood site. So I'm not sure now if the Northwood option of 'thermal pane windows' are true dual panes or if that is their description of removeable 'storm windows' like I have. I'm curious for those that have the true dual panes if they also came with the removeable storms?!?
2017 Ford F450 XLT CC 6.7 4X4 Dually
2017 Arctic Fox 32-5m Fifth Wheel

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
An often missed advantage of dual pane is that it insulates noise from your neighbor's generator much better than single pane. Worth it for that reason alone.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
To determine if the window is dual pane:
From inside the camper, with the door open, place your finger on the outside rear window with one hand. With the other inside hand place the opposing finger against the finger seen on the outside. You will see a space with a gap between the two fingers if it is dual pane.
If not dual pane, you will see the thickness of one sheet of glass between the two fingers.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Cabman_850
Explorer
Explorer
Light a match next to the window, the number of reflections will tell you how many panes, at least that trick works on residential windows.

Area13
Explorer
Explorer
Hard to believe a $40k camper with "Arctic" in it's name doesn't have gas filled dual pane windows standard. :h
2020 Outdoors RV 21RD
2015 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73

Gary3
Explorer
Explorer
If its like a Lance then the large escape hatch window in the cabover is a singepane no matter what you order.
Gary  Lance  1191 solar Gen.

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a glass contractor, you will see the spacer between the glass.

Dual Glaze windows really do insulate your rig, great option for sure. If you want, pm me a pic of the glass, I can tell from there.
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

rob990
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the great responses!

insp1505
Explorer
Explorer
This was my 2010 AF without dual pane windows. It had horizontal framework in the window.

There is a crank knob that opens the window outward away from the wall.

Below is my 2015 with dual pane thermal windows. They have a vertical framework splitting the window.

The glass slides open sideways. I bought mine off the dealer lot with them already installed. I'm sure the dealer optioned it this way though when they ordered it for their stock.

The rear window's don't open so there isn't any vertical framework but they are dual pane. The rear door does not get dual pane in either of it's windows. I've read that it was due to the window manufacturer not being able to guarantee the seal to hold up with the door being slammed shut over and over.

I'm not saying these examples prove one way or another but it might help. My dual pane windows are made by HEHR and there is a sticker in the corner of every window with their logo. HEHR may make single pane windows so this doesn't necessarily prove it either. The best way is to inspect the glass and see if there are two panes of glass or just one. Hopefully the seller can do that for you.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
blueglide wrote:
My 2015 AF 1150 came with the 'thermal pane windows' option. They are not dual pane windows like you would find in a residential window installation. There is a removable glass window pane in the dinette slider, the cabover window, and the rear dining area window. I removed mine and haven't used them since I brought the TC home. If you were camping in very cold weather they would be nice to have in place. They are listed on the Northwood Manufacturing website under options as a thermal pane window.

If you inner windows are removable, they are the optional Storm Windows. Thermal pane windows are true dual pane windows just like the ones in your home.
To the OP if the windows in the unit you are looking at slide sideways to open then they are true thermal pane windows.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
It's rare to see an Arctic Fox in Canada without thermo panes in Canada. I work at a dealership that sells Arctic fox and we never order them without. Having said that I have seen units in for maintenance without them, almost always imported by the owner.

Easy to tell. Look for a pice of dirt or bird doo doo on the outside of the window. Go inside and put your finger on the inside of the glass where the dirt is. You will see the greater distance and the space between the panes of glass if it has dual panes.

Or clothes the door and listen to nearby traffic. If it's loud they are single panes. If it is quiet they are probably dual panes. ๐Ÿ™‚

Happy trails.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

blueglide
Explorer
Explorer
My 2015 AF 1150 came with the 'thermal pane windows' option. They are not dual pane windows like you would find in a residential window installation. There is a removable glass window pane in the dinette slider, the cabover window, and the rear dining area window. I removed mine and haven't used them since I brought the TC home. If you were camping in very cold weather they would be nice to have in place. They are listed on the Northwood Manufacturing website under options as a thermal pane window.
2017 Ford F450 XLT CC 6.7 4X4 Dually
2017 Arctic Fox 32-5m Fifth Wheel

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
They should just do it as a regular install... pass the cost and have a better product. Why skimp?? We live in the NW and it's cold here sometimes and hot to!!...oh but who camps year round is that it? Just put the dual panes in always...

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
my 2016 Artic fox 990 (I just brought home this morning) came with Dual pain windows, but I do think it was an upgrade that Truck Camper warehouse ordered.

I also learned on the new AF's, if you have standard windows, some of them are the ones that the bottom pane cranks out (Jalousie window), but the Thermopane the glass slides left to right
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
Arctic Fox does not install dual pane windows "ever" unless it is a custom order....Cold weather package means nothing... in the day they asked another 1000 dollars for that option...if they do now as a cold weather package correct me and educate everyone..