cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

hughes autoformer

nephi007
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. We are planning to hook up our 30 amp travel trailer to house current at a family members' residence. I plan to buy a Hughes Autoformer for those times when we stay are rv parks. Is the Autoformer ok to use when using house current?
14 REPLIES 14

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
for resale purposes and ease of installation if I were using a permanent one I would just buy about 4 ft of appropriate wire, unhook original wire at box, hook up new wire, put device in, hook original wire to device. not cut original wire and it can easily be reverted to stock.
bumpy

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did just the opposite. I bought the hard wired version and put 30 amp twist lock plugs on it to install it in my MH. It paid off for me when I traded my MH off last week. I unplugged the EMS and kept it for my new trailer. I just plugged the two ends of the original power cable back together.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I Kept this thread because i thought it had good info regarding this and showed 'how to' pics to keep your EQ., secure. Hard wire portable unit so it can be removed upon sale of rv.
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28857654.cfm

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
Progressive Industries has a new lineup of lower cost surge protectors. Some models can detect low voltage. All can detect miss-wired boxes. That's all you need. Lifetime warranty too. Around $110.00 for the external models.

does it have the delayed restart to protect your AC unit? don't cheap out. JMHO
no $90 el cheapos.
I wouldn't want a permanently mounted unit unless it has a bypass switch.
bumpy

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
For those who have both Hughes as well as Surge P .
Can the hughes also be used with an additional surge protector ??????
From what i can find , I think it depends on which model surge .
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28543300/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm

I know its not the best but I have a portable surge model 34830 (30amp) Approx $250.00
specs:
Shuts Off Power in Event of:
โ€ขOpen Neutral
โ€ขOpen Ground
โ€ขLow (<102V) and High (>132V) Voltage
โ€ขThermal Line/Load Overtemperature
Indicates:

โ€ขVoltage and Amp Draw (RMS)
โ€ขSurge Failure (light indicates when surge protection has expired)
โ€ขReverse Polarity (miswired pedestal, elevated ground voltage)
Features:

โ€ข2450 Joules surge protection
โ€ข6500 amps spike protection
โ€ข120 volts, 30 amps
โ€ข10/3 cord

I want to use it in conjunction with an older Hughes autoformer.
Im still a little confused in what order to use them . :h

I think , the order is .....
you park - Hughes - Surge - RV .

is the correct order ? see post "wA8yxm"

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Lynnmor,

The new Hughes offers exactly the same surge protection as the top of the line PI unit. My comfort zone is no lower that 107 volts.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Use the autoformer whenever there is risk of low voltage. The Hughes will give some surge protection and may allow the electricity to stay on when other devices will simply shut it off. Get a digital voltage gauge and know what the voltage is whenever you look at it. If you cannot maintain at least 104 volts, then manually turn off the electric.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I prefer to use an autoformer. My RV is a 30 amp, and I'm finding I use it a great deal, especially in RV parks, even when plugged into 50 amp.

I do have energy management via a Magnum hybrid inverter/charger.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

nephi007
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everybody. I have a Progressive Industries SSP-30X but I thought the Hughes Autoformer would boost volts/amps to normal levels in case there was a drop. So do I need both?

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Progressive Industries has a new lineup of lower cost surge protectors. Some models can detect low voltage. All can detect miss-wired boxes. That's all you need. Lifetime warranty too. Around $110.00 for the external models.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure you do not connect to a 30 amp 220 volt outlet. I've never tried our autoformer on a 15 amp circuit so I'm not sure what it would do.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
if it is one or the other, I would go with a multi function surge protector. if you keep getting shut down due to low voltage, either get an autoformer or choose better parks.
bumpy

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
The autoformer is probably not necessary but can't hurt anything. I won't plug in anywhere without my(P.I.) E.M.S. unit though.
If you are plugging into a 30 amp circuit make sure it is 110v not 220v.. A 15amp or 20 amp is no worry.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It's fine to use but probably not necessary.