cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm going to do a 6.0 PSD engine swap!!!

vacuumbed
Explorer
Explorer
It's been about a year and a half since I sold my 2005 E450 that I bought new. I miss my van.

Since then, I bought a 1997 Ford E350 Airstream B190. I like it because it reminds me of the 2005 that I used to own. It is however, a gasser. I hinted about swapping a 6.0 PSD in to this van. I wasn't kidding. Member carringB helped me locate the companies that sell retired E450 ambulances. These cutaway vans make a great donor as they have the 6.0, and they are loaded with power options. I will be moving the front clip, dash, front doors ans well as the drivetrain over to my 1997 van.

Well, I just pulled the trigger on a 2008 E450, got it for $1,000! It's super clean. I will post pics soon. It will make a great donor vehicle, it has the newer front clip.

There's just a slight problem. The 6.0 PSD is seized up. :E

It's probably hydro locked from a failed EGR cooler, and the engine is going to come out anyway. I'm excited to get started on this!
136 REPLIES 136

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
vacuumbed wrote:
I cleared the codes, they are all gone including the P1260. None of them will come back even after a few key off, then key on, then start cycles.

It's now a no start with no codes to go on.

Like the post a few up had said, the security module needs to be reset. Nothing is 100% certain but if it ran for a couple seconds with starter spray or whatever it was you sprayed in the intake and you had the theft code with the light on the dash, then it all points to the computer stopping fuel delivery to "Immobilize" the engine. It is likely a dealer problem but there are some locksmith shops out there that have systems to access the security module.

I wouldn't assume that just because you cleared the code out of the OBD system that the theft state is cleared. That would seem to make it a little too easy for a thief.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

vacuumbed
Explorer
Explorer
I cleared the codes, they are all gone including the P1260. None of them will come back even after a few key off, then key on, then start cycles.

It's now a no start with no codes to go on.

vacuumbed
Explorer
Explorer
That's what I'm thinking!

First I was told by the seller that the engine was seized. Then the shop foreman from the ambulance fleet said it had no oil pressure. Then I called the dealer that worked on it and they said the turbo blew up and parts of it got sucked in to the engine.

Three stories, and the first one of the engine being seized wasn't true. Only time will tell if there's any truth to the other stories.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
vacuumbed wrote:
This is too funny!

I would think that I'd be SOL from some 6.0 engine problem, not some Anti-Theft system. :B

Would not surprise me at all if some fleet tech got stuck by the theft system and wrote it off as an engine failure just to get rid of it! Maybe you'll get lucky and its actually a perfect 6.0!
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

vacuumbed
Explorer
Explorer
This is too funny!

I would think that I'd be SOL from some 6.0 engine problem, not some Anti-Theft system. :B

vacuumbed
Explorer
Explorer
The radio is gone, but the connector is intact.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
PS - is the radio present? Apparently some aftermarket radios can confuse the security module and cause a theft code. I imagine if they removed the radio and cut the wires, instead of leaving the connector or capping bare wires, that could also cause a network error that would affect the security module.
2015 Ford Focus ST

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
You can't clear the 1260 codes with a basic scanner. 1260 means the PCM is being told not to allow the vehicle to run. The security module actually has more codes stored on it that will tell WHY its not allowing the PCM to let the engine run (sensor problem? Radio problem? VIN problem?). The security module has to be scanned with a special shop scanner to get those codes. Besides Ford systems, Blue Streak is one system that can access the security system, but most independent shops won't have anything, and I'm not aware of any affordable DIY systems that can access that module. Disconnecting the batteries for an hour will reset the security module but if the same conditions are present, you are probably SOL.
2015 Ford Focus ST

vacuumbed
Explorer
Explorer
It arrived from Iowa with no batteries, it's been without power for a while. I first tried the set of batteries from my 78 Pace Arrow and those were too weak for the 6.0. I removed those and a few days later I pulled the two commercial batteries from my Monaco Exec and those seem to do well. It turns over fast as it should.

It does have an Anti-Theft light that lights up for 3 seconds after the key is turned to the on position. This seems odd to me since I share the same opinion as Bryan on this, I don't think it has PATS.

When I get home from work tonight I will plug in my device and clear the codes and see if it immediately returns.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Lessmore wrote:

I bet the theft detected code is the reason that the engine shut down after 1-2 seconds. Just a guess though...I don't know Fords.

It won't fuel while the theft error is active.

Was the battery connected when the truck arrived? If the cluster was re-connected after the battery was connected, that can cause a PATS error too. Might be worth a shop to disconnect it for an hour to clear the fault (it will come right back if it is a VIN or CAN error.)
2015 Ford Focus ST

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
vacuumbed wrote:
Thanks Bryan, great info!

I was surprised to see the Anti-Theft code there, of all things. I called 2 Ford dealers, one said it doesn't have PATS and the other wasn't sure. I was given a regular Ford key for it when I bought it, not a PATS key. Sounds like I need to pull the PCM and see if it's the one that belongs in there.

I bet the theft detected code is the reason that the engine shut down after 1-2 seconds. Just a guess though...I don't know Fords.

vacuumbed
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Bryan, great info!

I was surprised to see the Anti-Theft code there, of all things. I called 2 Ford dealers, one said it doesn't have PATS and the other wasn't sure. I was given a regular Ford key for it when I bought it, not a PATS key. Sounds like I need to pull the PCM and see if it's the one that belongs in there.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
OhhWell wrote:
That last code, P1260 read as Theft Detected, Vehicle Immobilized. Sounds like I would start there... You may need the services of a dealership unless you are lucky enough to find a locksmith near you that has the correct programmer for that.

That is unusual in a cutaway chassis. PATS is an option on the E-series, not standard. And I would be surprised if a fleet would order it because PATS keys are so much more expensive to make spares.

Some investigating will be needed to see if the chassis was actually ordered with PATS. If yes, either an original chipped key is needed, or it will have to be reset by a dealer.

More likely.... it was not ordered with PATS, and the VIN no stored in the PCM no longer matches the VIN is the security module, or they are no communicating. If the VINs don't match, somebody swapped the PCM probably to use for another chassis. I don't know if dealers can do a full re-write of the PCM. If the module is not communicating, it could be a simply CAN-bus error, possibly caused by wiring damage when the body was removed.

Regardless, you really can't do any more diagnostics until the THEFT error is fixed.
2015 Ford Focus ST

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
That last code, P1260 read as Theft Detected, Vehicle Immobilized. Sounds like I would start there... You may need the services of a dealership unless you are lucky enough to find a locksmith near you that has the correct programmer for that.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

vacuumbed
Explorer
Explorer
So I put this app on my iPhone called Torque. In the mail today came this device that plugs in to the OBD II port called ELM 327 Wi-Fi interface. It connects to my iPhone wirelessly.

This is pretty cool.

It's cold out here tonight. So I plugged in the interface in to the E450 while I sat next to it in my Cadillac all cozy with the heater on and read the codes from my iPhone.

I got the following pending codes:
P0312
C2026
P1426
P1700

And the following hard code:
P1260

After looking up these codes none of them seem conclusive as to why it won't start.