cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm going to do a 6.0 PSD engine swap!!!

vacuumbed
Explorer
Explorer
It's been about a year and a half since I sold my 2005 E450 that I bought new. I miss my van.

Since then, I bought a 1997 Ford E350 Airstream B190. I like it because it reminds me of the 2005 that I used to own. It is however, a gasser. I hinted about swapping a 6.0 PSD in to this van. I wasn't kidding. Member carringB helped me locate the companies that sell retired E450 ambulances. These cutaway vans make a great donor as they have the 6.0, and they are loaded with power options. I will be moving the front clip, dash, front doors ans well as the drivetrain over to my 1997 van.

Well, I just pulled the trigger on a 2008 E450, got it for $1,000! It's super clean. I will post pics soon. It will make a great donor vehicle, it has the newer front clip.

There's just a slight problem. The 6.0 PSD is seized up. :E

It's probably hydro locked from a failed EGR cooler, and the engine is going to come out anyway. I'm excited to get started on this!
136 REPLIES 136

vacuumbed
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of new info this morning.

I found where the misty smoke was coming from. I pulled the doghouse and I found the exhaust pipe was disconnected from the turbo. When I crank the engine, black oil drips out of the turbo on to the intake manifold. The Ford dealer that diagnosed it must have not put it back together.

I watched a youtube video on what sounds to listen for on a 6.0 no start. I hear the fuel pump as well as the injectors clicking. All the expected sounds are there. I smell diesel from the exhaust and it really almost fires up, but it just won't.

You can see motor oil in the pic below on the intake manifold just below the EGR cooler.

vacuumbed
Explorer
Explorer
I will be doing that plus a few other things like checking the FICM voltage. I will be learning a lot about the 6.0 in the coming days.

wkswenson
Explorer
Explorer
Not an expert by any means - but I would check filters and water separator to ensure you actually have fuel getting to the engine.
Walter & Donna Swenson
2013 Cedar Creek 38FL - Front Living, Trail Air
2011 Dodge RAM 3500 6.7 CTD DRW CC LB
Our Website - "A Work in Progress"

bmanning
Explorer
Explorer
Looking forward to following your progress! Best of luck with the project
BManning
baking in Phoenix :C
-2007 Volvo XC90 AWD V8
4.4L 311/325 V8 6sp Aisin loaded
6100lb GVW 5000lb tow
-1999 Land Cruiser
4.7L 230/320 V8 4sp A343 loaded
6860 GVW 6500lb tow
RV'less at the moment

vacuumbed
Explorer
Explorer
This morning I put 5 gallons of diesel in and tried cranking the engine. It still won't fire. It will crank slow and then fast and then slow again. After cranking for about 15 seconds there is a smokey mist that's coming from the engine compartment that smells like diesel fuel. The oil level is full.

Wes_Tausend
Explorer
Explorer

Good news!

Wes
Days spent camping are not subtracted from one's total.
- 2019 Leprechaun 311FS Class C
- Linda, Wes and Quincy the Standard Brown Poodle

vacuumbed
Explorer
Explorer
Well guys, its here!!!

The engine is NOT seized. I had get two batteries hooked up to get it turning over well. It acts like it wants to catch but it won't fire. The fuel gauge reads completely empty. I'm going to pick up 5 gallons of diesel and go from there.

Other observations. I wish the ambulance people were a little nicer to the interior. It's okay overall, a few scratches here and there.

The 5R110 trans does not have a slip yoke, rather a bolt on driveline. I don't think I can use it in my regular van.

When I turned the key on and heard the chime that was in my 2005 E450 that I used to own, it brought a smile to my face. 🙂

vacuumbed
Explorer
Explorer
The E450 will be here in 3 hours!

Wes_Tausend
Explorer
Explorer

Vince,

It will be like "Gift Season" to slowly open the package, see if you got what you hoped! 🙂

Wes
Days spent camping are not subtracted from one's total.
- 2019 Leprechaun 311FS Class C
- Linda, Wes and Quincy the Standard Brown Poodle

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I look forward to read about your progress.

vacuumbed
Explorer
Explorer
The E450 was picked up and it's on it's way to SLC!

vacuumbed
Explorer
Explorer
I have the title in hand to the donor vehicle. My transport guy is set to pick it up on Wednesday, due back in Salt Lake City by this weekend!

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like a good investment. Wish GM had something like that...I have the 5 volume shop manual for the Suburban and almost every page starts with "Connect scan tool..."

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like a good investment. Wish GM had something like that...I have the 5 volume shop manual for the Suburban and almost every page starts with "Connect scan tool..."

vacuumbed
Explorer
Explorer
Good points...

I'm going to take the front doors from the 2008 and put them on the 1997.

Ford publishes books called EVTM for every model and model year of their vehicles. This stands for Electrical Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual. These are amazing books when working on a Ford. Every circuit in the vehicle can be found in this book in a big and easy to read diagram. For example, they dedicate one page just for the horn circuit wiring diagram, etc.

I already have the EVTM for the 1997 van, and I'm looking to buy one for the 2008 E450.