cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm on the dark path many others have followed........

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seriously considering buying a mid-size 5th wheel next year. Seems like we just brought our new Lance home (in 1996) and its just barely getting broken in, but we are considering going semi-fulltime next year and 5th wheels are looking better and better.

Brad
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos
31 REPLIES 31

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
BradW wrote:
Seriously considering buying a mid-size 5th wheel next year. Seems like we just brought our new Lance home (in 1996) and its just barely getting broken in, but we are considering going semi-fulltime next year and 5th wheels are looking better and better.

Brad

Please, say it ain't so!!

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
The Mad Norsky wrote:
The problem you're gonna have is finding a fifth wheel with the same quality and dependability as your Lance camper you have now.

As others have already stated, I also urge keeping the Lance.

There was a poster here on the forum, way back now, believe he used the user name "Wheeler". Anyway, he modified I believe an Alpenlite fifth wheel and some of his photos/posts showed what one can accomplish, off road and off grid, with a fifth wheel.

So it is really just limited to your own imagination, but I fully believe a fifth wheel is capable of handling more than just paved roads. Mind you, the caveat here is of course speed off pavement will be greatly reduced.

Best of luck in your searches.

We boondocks on back roads. Not rough ones, but backroads.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
BradW wrote:
Reddog1 wrote:
Oh no, not you brad. LOL How you gonna tow the Jeep?

Well, that is the problem and it's going to make things more complicated. When we go out west for 2 or 3 months, we will leave the offroad jeep home and take the stock Rubicon and tow our 16' jon boat behind it.

When we take the offroad jeep, we are usually just going for one day or we are going to places that rent cabins (like Harlan, Ky).
When you come out, let me know. I have plenty of room, and pretty well situated for a jump off point for sites. I could easily provide you a agenda for two months of sites within three hours drive. The Rubicon is less than a two hour drive.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
The problem you're gonna have is finding a fifth wheel with the same quality and dependability as your Lance camper you have now.

As others have already stated, I also urge keeping the Lance.

There was a poster here on the forum, way back now, believe he used the user name "Wheeler". Anyway, he modified I believe an Alpenlite fifth wheel and some of his photos/posts showed what one can accomplish, off road and off grid, with a fifth wheel.

So it is really just limited to your own imagination, but I fully believe a fifth wheel is capable of handling more than just paved roads. Mind you, the caveat here is of course speed off pavement will be greatly reduced.

Best of luck in your searches.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Kind of hard to loose an old faithful friend. As stated above, keep your Lance. No doubt, it's paid for. If you have somewhere to store it when not in use, and it costs no money, it would be well worth it to keep it. So you take off with the 5er half-time. Come home, get the Lance, park the 5er and go the other half! 🙂

VTLee
Explorer
Explorer
By all means keep the lance. We bought a fifth wheel and kept our TC and we are really glad that we did. The 5er is good if you are going somewhere and staying there but for traveling around it is a real PITA. It is good to have all your stuff with you too and not have to worry about packing things when you leave the campground for a day trip.

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grodyman wrote:
I would keep the Lance just in case....Good luck.

Yep, we are thinking about that.....but my yard is going to look like a used RV/Jeep/Truck/Tractor car lot.........
Wake Up America

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reddog1 wrote:
Oh no, not you brad. LOL How you gonna tow the Jeep?

Well, that is the problem and it's going to make things more complicated. When we go out west for 2 or 3 months, we will leave the offroad jeep home and take the stock Rubicon and tow our 16' jon boat behind it.

When we take the offroad jeep, we are usually just going for one day or we are going to places that rent cabins (like Harlan, Ky).
Wake Up America

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've currently got three, one fifth wheel we use basically as a mobile home, and two truck campers.

Never hurts to have two, use the trailer for the full-timing and when you're staying closer to home, or want to tow something behind you, use the camper :).
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
....heck, I've seen 5th wheels boondocking perfectly well off the 313, in the back country just north of Moab (and, in many other remote locales).

When you think about it, there are quite a few shorty 5th wheels out there (some with full-wide rear panoramic windows), with combined length about the same as a Lance 1130 (or, equivalent) with toy trailer towable. If you play your cards right, you could even find some shorty 5th toy-hauler with beefed-up suspension and BFG TA/Ko's & 4-way pivoting head hitch (for tilted hook-up) you could put all your stuff in, and still be as long (or, a bit shorter) than a full-sized truck camper pulling a toy-hauler trailer with extension hitch.

Anyhow, how long would it take to disconnect a 5th, and be off 4-wheeling with the pickup? I'll bet it takes less time to unload/lock a 5th to the pick-up than dropping/reloading a truck camper (!).

...OK, ya'all can kill me now...

On edit: accessing back country with truck camper is in a nested scale like this: a pop-up 4-Wheel camper with no roof-top stuff can access almost anything a bare pick-up can; a narrow-frame hard-side without roof-top stuff can access less back country; a full-sized truck camper with a bunch of stuff on the roof can access way less back country than the two previous truck camper profiles; a 5th wheel (a shorty) can probably access as many back country areas as a 1130 truck camper towing a toy hauler trailer...
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
Having both works well for us. Our TC is our traveling machine, if we are going to be on the move most days, such as our trips to Alaska. If we are going to stop for several days or weeks, especially if our young grandsons go with us, then we take the 31 ft bunk room 5th wheel. The 5th wheel seldom gets out of SE US, as the summers we spend in Colorado, we will normally tow our Jeep behind our TC. We use the same truck for both rigs. Currently we have the TC on the truck as we plan to run over to South Texas for a couple of weeks, once the weather cools off a bit. Then the 5th wheel hitch will go back in the truck for a ten day Christmas time stay at Disney World with our daughters and their families.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think if we had been inclined to sit in one place longer, we might have kept our 28' 5er? It was perfect for us, like a small apartment when set up (we could exercise the dogs by playing "fetch") - but we HATED dragging that thing around. Parking was always an issue. Getting in and out of a campsite. Getting fuel. Granted, all these things can be overcome and people routinely haul MUCH bigger 5ers, but on our recent TC sightseeing tour of the Pacific NW, we were just giggling about being able to get fuel ANYWHERE; deciding to eat at some little hole-in-the-wall restaurant; not being worried about the width or the overhead branches of some twisty, scenic road...

Our daughter who lives in Portland took us to some wonderful places - each one had us saying "thank God we're not in a full-size RV".

But again - if we were planning on sitting in one place for a week or so, the TC would start feeling mighty small.....
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Grodyman
Explorer
Explorer
I would keep the Lance just in case....Good luck.

Gman
2017 F150 CC/5.5' 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost/3.55
2018 Passport Ultra-Lite 153ML

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Fifth Wheel owner here - our plan is to get a pickup camper, with three slides, when we feel we either can't handle the fifth wheel or don't want to anymore.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I know what you mean. We are trying to hold out since even our last trip was so much easier than it would have been with a 5th wheel.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member