cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ideal hitch weight for 2020 RAM

davisenvy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2020 RAM 1500 with a payload of 1559 (sticker in door) and a max towing of 11,450 (entered vin on Ramtrucks.com) I like the Jayco Octane SL 222, but it has a hitch weignt of almost 800 lbs. What would be the ideal hitch weignt to look for to have a comfortable tow?
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT,4x4,Crew, Duramax EFI Live
2013 StarCraft Autumn Ridge
10 REPLIES 10

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
"If I load this weight behind the rear axle, wouldn't that be to my advantage?"

Yes, to a point, you still want to maintain approx 12-13 percent loaded hitch wt for best towing. You still have room to spare for a beer cooler, and possibly a "lucky" lady!

Jerry

davisenvy
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
This trailer being a toy hauler, has a heavier than normal dry hitch wt, to offset the toy wt added to rear. While the OP will be pushing his trucks limit for payload, if he loads wisely in the trailer, and truck, it should be an acceptable towing experience. Much of toy wt will be behind trailer axles, and this is not a real long trailer. I'd give it a go, if my truck/trailer. As always, a good WDH will make some difference too.

Jerry

This is my thinking also. I shouldn't have to have to explain how many people, how far I'm towing, what exactly I'm taking with me. I understand how payload works. Anyways here I go, Dr650 dual sport motorcycle 320 lbs, some fire wood, necessities in the camper 300 lbs(Yes 300 lbs because I have weighed it), 1 person 220 lbs, and my lucky rubber ducky. Not going to tell you where I'm going and not telling my favorite fishing spot either. I will say most trips are within 30 mi of home. If I load this weight behind the rear axle, wouldn't that be to my advantage?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^What MFL said.
If youโ€™re not hauling heavy toys, toyhaulers are not the best choice for being tongue weight conscious.
That said, itโ€™s nothing a wdh and some timbrens or airbags canโ€™t cure.
The truck is 110% up to the task despite the weight cops remarks.
Ideal hitch weight? Probably less than a toy hauler on the back of a coil spring half ton, but there are easy, safe and effective methods to keep that from being the limiting factor.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
This trailer being a toy hauler, has a heavier than normal dry hitch wt, to offset the toy wt added to rear. While the OP will be pushing his trucks limit for payload, if he loads wisely in the trailer, and truck, it should be an acceptable towing experience. Much of toy wt will be behind trailer axles, and this is not a real long trailer. I'd give it a go, if my truck/trailer. As always, a good WDH will make some difference too.

Jerry

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
How much cargo are you going to carry, including people?
Subtract that from the 1559.
The answer will give you a max figure for tongue weight for your particular truck.
How comfortable the towing is would be highly subjective.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III
2012Coleman wrote:
The GVWR on that TT is 8K which will put your hitch weight around 1040 lbs - 8000 * 13%. The brochure weight is fiction. Tour tow vehicle's payload is going to really limit you.

My experience is that it will be closer to 1100 or more :E Check your hitch, it may not be rated for that much weight.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
davisenvy wrote:
I have a 2020 RAM 1500 with a payload of 1559 (sticker in door) and a max towing of 11,450 (entered vin on Ramtrucks.com) I like the Jayco Octane SL 222, but it has a hitch weignt of almost 800 lbs. What would be the ideal hitch weignt to look for to have a comfortable tow?

Interesting DD has a 2006 Honda Ridgeline with a 1,700+ payload, and 5,000 tow capacity.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

davisenvy
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of assumptions here. I am simply asking what people with similar trucks are comfortable with as far as their hitch weight.

I am more limited that you 3500 guys, but still lots of half ton towables out there.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
The GVWR on that TT is 8K which will put your hitch weight around 1040 lbs - 8000 * 13%. The brochure weight is fiction. Tour tow vehicle's payload is going to really limit you.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately you bought the pony before getting your cart. You are limited (as you already know) to your trailer. Having been in your situation as well as many others on this forum, you will most likely want to upgrade trailers after a year or two to make the wife and family happier with more room. If you get too large a trailer now as a compromise you will definitely not enjoy towing it and it will be dangerous. Just because itโ€™s a truck doesnโ€™t mean you can tow anything of size. The good thing is that you are looking at weights and thatโ€™s a start. Good luck in your hunt.