cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

inside outside speaker switch???

plasticmaster
Explorer
Explorer
My TT has a pair of front speakers and a pair of rear speakers inside and a pair of speakers on the outside of the camper. I want to replace the stock radio with a standard car stereo head unit, which has a pair of front and a pair of rear speaker outputs. These will be used for my inside speakers. Is there a way to also wire the outside speakers to the head unit's front speaker outputs with a switch that allows for the playing of the inside front speakers OR the outside speakers? Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6

trsky
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
I recommend wiring the 4 inside speakers to two channels (like Front Left and Right) and the outside pair to rear let and right. Then you can use the fade control of the new radio. Yes, the two in parallel inside are now about half the impedance, but I highly doubt you will notice.

I had similar ideas to you about replacing the stock RV radio with a better quality car stereo. I ended up investing in a decent portable Bluetooth speaker that has been much more versatile camping and at home.

My trailer has a Jensen car stereo and is set up as mentioned above. Inside speakers are FRONT and the outside are the rears. Use the fader to to run 1 or both sets.
KZ Spree 265KS
2007 Suburban 1500 4x4

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I recommend wiring the 4 inside speakers to two channels (like Front Left and Right) and the outside pair to rear let and right. Then you can use the fade control of the new radio. Yes, the two in parallel inside are now about half the impedance, but I highly doubt you will notice.

I had similar ideas to you about replacing the stock RV radio with a better quality car stereo. I ended up investing in a decent portable Bluetooth speaker that has been much more versatile camping and at home.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
plasticmaster wrote:
Is there a way to also wire the outside speakers to the head unit's front speaker outputs with a switch that allows for the playing of the inside front speakers OR the outside speakers?

SoundGuy wrote:
Sure, why not ... all you need is a double throw switch with four sets of contacts - 2 for +/- for the left speaker and 2 for +/- for the right speaker.

Gdetrailer wrote:
That would be a 4 pole double throw switch (4PDT), not all that common and can be rather pricey when you do find them.

Easy for me I guess - we have an electronics supply store here in Ontario called Sayal Electronics that caters to the trades and public alike where I can easily buy switches of virtually any combination, including 4 pole double throw. 🙂
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
SoundGuy wrote:
plasticmaster wrote:
Is there a way to also wire the outside speakers to the head unit's front speaker outputs with a switch that allows for the playing of the inside front speakers OR the outside speakers?

Sure, why not ... all you need is a double throw switch with four sets of contacts - 2 for +/- for the left speaker and 2 for +/- for the right speaker. In one position the inside front speakers would be on and the outside off, in the other position it would be the reverse.

That would be a 4 pole double throw switch (4PDT), not all that common and can be rather pricey when you do find them.

No need to reinvent the wheel here, there ARE already purpose built speaker switches which are a lot easier to find and come in lots of styles like built in wall (like a light switch) to table top and more..

HERE is a search for speaker selector switches.. Just select one that suits your purpose..

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used to play games with all of the different ways to switch radio speakers in and out... Daughter introduced me to portable BLUETOOTH speakers with rechargeable batteries and now we can have speakers anywhere we need them.. I have a couple of blue tooth transmitters being fed by all of my different radios both commercial AM/FM broadcast or Ham radio type scanner etc...

Works out great for me using the Blue Tooth ones. No wires or switches to worry about...

Ordered mine from AMAZON...

One of the blue-tooth speakers fits in my shirt pocket. I usually have the Ham Radio and Police/Rescue scanners feeding that one. I can walk around all over the outside area and stay in touch...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
plasticmaster wrote:

Sure, why not ... all you need is a double throw switch with four sets of contacts - 2 for +/- for the left speaker and 2 for +/- for the right speaker. In one position the inside front speakers would be on and the outside off, in the other position it would be the reverse.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380