cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting product...possible application to RV's

martinto
Explorer
Explorer
Saw an article on this product some time ago...now it looks like Rust Oleum will market it under their brand line. I'm curious about the various applications to RV's. Perhaps sealing areas on the roof? Anyone have more info on this product?

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/06/25/magical-ultra-waterproofing-spray-now-coming-to-a-hardware-store-near-you/
5 REPLIES 5

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Spray on sealants have been around for decades. Usually you see them on an info-mercial.
Junk like that never holds up to real world use or UV rays. If you have a to fix serious leak your gambling with junk like this.

Nothing like the infomercial stuff. This is a "hyperphobic" (I think that is the term) treatment that repels water. It was developed at Oak Ridge National Laboratories here in East Tennessee.

It does exactly what you see. Applications are limitless and are just now being explored.

I don't think it would take a leaky rubber roof (usually a tear or lack of cauk) and magically seal it. It would, however, make water that hits the roof roll off like a duck.

And think about treating the entire outside of your TT with this stuff. Dirt won't stick. Black streaks won't happen.

Has been featured in-depth on several local news reports, and also made national news a while back. I, for one, am excited about the possibilities.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

ut_pupcamper
Explorer
Explorer
martinto wrote:
Would be surprised if a highly regarded brand as Rust Oleum would add "junk" to it's product line. I'll test the product before I conclude it's "junk" and let the facts determine its viability...not some baseless opinion.

X2. The new breed of sprays are pretty amazing and work pretty good. I have recently used the dip products that they now sell in spray on form and they work wonders. I think only time will tell. No sense turning our noses up to new technologies if its going to make our lives easier, and sometimes better and cheaper in the long run. There were lots of nay Sayers about going to the moon too.
Don & Alice

Camping in and around Utah
2013 Rockwood 8286WS Diamond Package 5th Wheel
2003 Ford F350 Lariat Super duty Crew Cab
6 kids 3 grand kids a dog a cat and Titan the killer Chiweenie 🙂

Camping in 2013: 15
Camping in 2012: 19

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
Looks promising.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

martinto
Explorer
Explorer
Would be surprised if a highly regarded brand as Rust Oleum would add "junk" to it's product line. I'll test the product before I conclude it's "junk" and let the facts determine its viability...not some baseless opinion.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Spray on sealants have been around for decades. Usually you see them on an info-mercial.
Junk like that never holds up to real world use or UV rays. If you have a to fix serious leak your gambling with junk like this.