cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent AC problem

MSchu
Explorer
Explorer
I just returned from a month long trip in our '95 Holiday Rambler trailer, and for the first 2 weeks it was hot enough to use the AC. Twice during that time I noticed something that concerned me. the AC fan would kick on and run for about 15 seconds, then kick off without the compressor kicking on. The first time I noticed it, the fan kicked back on after a minute or so and then the compressor started a few seconds later like it usually does. The second time it tried for 3 times before the compressor finally started. Both instances were late at night in full campgrounds. After this, the AC ran normally for another 4 or 5 days until the weather cooled off and I never needed AC again.
The AC is a Duo Therm 13.5 rooftop unit, probably the original to the trailer.
So what do you think caused this? Do I have a capacitor going out? Or could it have just been a low voltage problem? (I do have a PI HW-30C EMS hard wired in to the trailer)
Would a hard start capacitor be any help?
Thanks for any help!
10 REPLIES 10

davidsons
Explorer
Explorer
Hey! It seems like it may be something with coil. You'd better call to some repairing service. Last summer I used my AC and then It suddenly had broken I tried to repair it by myself but nothing came out. Then I called fonko company and they repaired it they have excellent repairing service.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lwiddis wrote:
At 23 years old I’d replace it.

Heck if it works and may only need a simple cheap repair why be in a big hurry to throw it away and spend a lot of money on new ???

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a power source problem to me. Ran good for the next 4-5 days? It didn’t heal itself. Maybe less demand on the parks system?

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
Probably starting capacitor. Last summer, camping in nice hot weather in our '05 Trail Cruiser near Wenatchee WA with the A/C running nice and cool, suddenly it smelled like electrical wiring was burning. But it went away after a little while and the A/C kept running. Thot maybe it was a neighbor's problem. Shouldn't have turned the A/C off, turned out the connections at the top of the starter capacitor shorted out, so it wouldn't start the compressor motor the next day. Luckily, a relatively cheap, easy fix.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Mandalay Parr wrote:
Maybe the coil iced up.

That's what it sounds like to me.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

MSchu
Explorer
Explorer
I had a problem before with the starter relay sticking and keeping the compressor running all the time, and had the control panel replaced to fix it. Maybe the new one has problems too.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the coil iced up.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
With a bad cap I think you would hear the compressor hum but not start. If there’s never any sound but the fan I’d suspect a starting relay.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
it does sound like the starting capacitor

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
At 23 years old I’d replace it.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad