cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Ford going to be the SUV leader?

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wow just saw an article on the 2018 Ford Expedition.

Here.

That is insane!!! We had a 2000 Excursion with the V10. It was rated at 310hp and 425 torque. The new Expedition would sure put that to shame. Wish they would offer a heavy duty version like they do the F150. A heavy duty Expedition EL 400hp and 480 torque, OH MY!!!
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.
27 REPLIES 27

Kampfirekid
Explorer
Explorer
It's s beauty, but after the DW and I took her 75,000 mile 2008 Expedition EL in to see how it would fair in trade, and came away with a disgusted look, we decided to keep it. Amazed we can't find one even close in quality or mileage, yet they expect us to give it away. It is absolutely perfect in every way. I told them to keep their $70k new one. I can put slot of transmissions in for $11,000.
Now, I'm waiting for my moms 2001 Excursion 7.3L Stroke. Just breaking 75,000 miles on that one. She can't get it to me soon enough. I'll probably have to pry the keys out of her hand one day.
2019 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew. 5–/2 foot bed. 3.0L Powerstroke,
Loaded. 2020 K-Z Connect SE 241BHKSE

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Don't really care for the looks of the Expedition looks a lot like the flex which I don't care for the styling either.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Colliehauler, my 2015 Tahoe has a 1,595 GVWR. Not a lot but enough to safely haul me, DW, Winnie and our stuff.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
The new Expedition looks like a very sweet vehicle. Ford has done a fantastic job on the F-150 and Expedition lines. Now to bring back the Excursion......:B
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
zombojoe wrote:
... the newly designed 3.5 Ecoboost will be an AVAILABLE engine as opposed to being the sole powertrain. I'm wondering of the 2.7 Ecoboost is going to be standard on the lower trim levels. I highly doubt (though I suppose there's always hope) that the 5.0 coyote will be available. I hope the max towing package (I think that's what it's been called on previous Expeditions) won't be reserved for the top trim level.

Concur on both the 2.7 EcoBoost and on the 5.0L !

zombojoe
Explorer
Explorer
I've been looking through what online information I can find about the new Expedition and found something a bit noteworthy and possibly concerning. In the statements I can find (Ford website, various online auto reviewers) the newly designed 3.5 Ecoboost will be an AVAILABLE engine as opposed to being the sole powertrain. I'm wondering of the 2.7 Ecoboost is going to be standard on the lower trim levels. I highly doubt (though I suppose there's always hope) that the 5.0 coyote will be available. I hope the max towing package (I think that's what it's been called on previous Expeditions) won't be reserved for the top trim level.

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
Chevy and their GMC line of SUV's have been killing the large SUV segment for a number of years.

This new Expedition will fire up Ford's large SUV sales, no doubt.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
thought I was the only one who thought that...ditto this new Ford

NJRVer wrote:
Every time I see a new black Suburban first thing that comes to mind, it looks like a hearse.
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Every time I see a new black Suburban first thing that comes to mind, it looks like a hearse.

horton333
Explorer
Explorer
I figure it was a shame they made it longer, instead of more weight savings form the new design. I guess at that end of the market big sells.

Ford Explorer or Chrysler 300C to tow with.
Tracer Air 238 to be towed.
Triumph Thunderbird Sport - with the toy-hauler gone it's at home.
Retired very early and loving it.

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's cool.

STANG23L
Explorer
Explorer
Lessmore wrote:
Kinda looks Suburbanish,

I was going to say it has very similar body lines to the Ford Flex.
2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
X3...why will keep my Suburban K3500/7.4L/4.1's for a looong time...typically keep my vehicle for decades anyway...

Priced the current equivalent Suburban and fake Suburban's and they all came out in the $90K range...since my Sub has been paid for since bought new...can rebuild it to my liking for way less and still have money left

Built 7.4L to around 500-550 ft/lbs torque and still be smog-able, 4L80E built to take 1,000 ft/lb torque, 4.88 diffs (hope the G80 locker has enough carrier for that), a GearVendors 0.70 or 0.50 OD to split the 4l80E gears to make it an 8 speed, etc, etc...

Of course, it will still be a 21 year old vehicle, but am not into fashion statements in this topic area

Plus...towing is NOT just about torque/HP, but the whole setup to manhandle the trailer during an encounter with Mr Murphy...GVWR, F/R-GAWR, etc matters more than just HP, IMHO...

dodge guy wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Looks like a bulked up Explorer. I agree they should add a HD payload pkg and a max tow version. that would get a lot of people out of their old Excursions and into new Fords!
Just bought a second Excursion V-10 model so with maintenance they should last my life. Would not buy a new 70k SUV would rather spend my money on toys. While the X's power might not be as much the heavy-duty suspension can't be beat for towing. Same thing can be said about the 2500 series burbs with the 8.1

If I wanted a new SUV I would buy a conversation of the new 6.7 Diesel truck into a new Excursion, way more capable.

I agree completely. Which is why I still have my X. Can't afford $70k for a new one. And a '16 Excursion conversion at near $100k is out of my range!

mysub mysuburban k3500
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The 3.5L EcoBoost in the F150 is 375hp/450 ft-lb versus 365/350 in the Explorer. When the Raptor comes out, it will likely be higher, but I would NOT expect that version in the Expedition.

10 speed auto should be good for towing. Looking for feedback.

Expedition EL will likely be my next vehicle in about 2 years.