cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is SHE GONNA BLOW!

mtshowdown
Explorer
Explorer
Need your help. I have been a Ford owner for several years (have not considered other brands); due to recent issues with Ford warranty repairs I am looking at changing brands.
My current vehicle is 2016 Ford F350 Platinum, DRW Diesel.
I will be replacing it with another DRW Diesel (2020 model). I tow a 40โ€™ 5th wheel camper thatโ€™s around 17,000 lbs.
GM and Dodge owners how are your vehicles treating you, reliability, warranty issues, comfort, ride, fuel economy, etc.?
As you can see from below, I have had far more problems than normal. So a manufacture that stands behind their customers (without a knife) is of great importance.
I believe the most recent repair has made the vehicle unsafe. The engine ingested app. 2 gallons of engine coolant. Ford authorized replacement of both heads and turbo, but they did not allow dealership to inspect block, pistons, rings, rods, mains, etc. for distortion or cracks.
I will be towing through the mountains. Iโ€™m not going to risk my familyโ€™s lives. If this engine BLOWS you could have a run-away vehicle.

I purchased my 2016 in Sep. 2016, since then it has been in for repairs approximately 196 days.
-Engine times 2. (1st time they replaced short block and 1 head, 2nd time both heads and turbo).
-Navigation screen lockup
-seat belt warning system (was working before engine replacement 1st time) dealership said this vehicle did not come with the warning system (the red light and chime when you forget to buckle your seatbelt).
-fan blower noisy.
-Sunroof sticking.
-front driveshaft vibration.
-4 wheel drive not engaging.
-Lacks power (this is a 2016 with 3.73 gears) the 2012 I traded with 3.55 gears far outperformed this vehicle.
-Platinum emblem that came loose & turn signal bulb was repaired with only one trip to the dealer.
53 REPLIES 53

mtshowdown
Explorer
Explorer
Appreciate the insight. Thank you.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I liked my 69 ford Ranger after swapping a few parts and changing the DOG 360 into a SCALDED DOG 390 with a built C6, that thing would chit n git.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you don't want to base your decision on power or fuel economy, why not choose the one that looks the prettiest. I like the exterior look of the GMC Denali.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
You could buy again any of the big three and chances are you would be fine from a reliability standpoint, unlikely that you would see this level of problems. There are stories like this from all three. I dont think it is often a direct fault of anyone in particular but rather a systematic fault of both the dealer and OEM. It starts with the dealer obviously, if the dealer faulters things are typically on a road course to hell. That is why establishing a solid relationship with the dealer and the service manager is important. The OEM is the next in line, they can make matters better or much worse (the dealer is huge here as well). When the dealer and OEM drop the ball, nothing positive comes after that.

GM has helped me out when I was years out of warranty on my 05 5500. I am sure other OEMs do similar things, but the dealer has to care about your business relationship to help with that.

I like GM, owned or own 9 Duramax trucks. The 5500 was the only one that caused me any issues requiring GM to step in and help. They did, kicked in 4K on an 8K repair that was years out of warranty. So while I was pissed that I had an issue, I was happy that I was taken care of to some degree. If GM hadn't stepped in maybe I would have switched to something else. You might be in a similar case with FORD, even though your next FORD would run like it should, sometimes there isnt any motivation to give them any more money due to past experiences (your only real leverage over the issues you had). There are no right or wrong solutions to this really as far as brand. It becomes a matter of what your willing to look past or not.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

RamGuy2500
Explorer
Explorer
Thereโ€™s lemons with every brand. I had a 2014 Ram that gave me nothing but fits and was in the shop constantly. I sold it and now have a Ford with zero issues. I just need to figure out how to change my screen name now.
2018 Ford F-350 XLT, 6.7 Powerstroke ๐Ÿ˜„

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
blofgren wrote:
I was a die hard Ford man (my grandfather managed a Ford dealership) and had 3 Fords over the course of 20 years. My last one was a 2003 F-350 DRW Lariat 4x4 with the 6.0L diesel; I absolutely loved the Super Duty truck but the engine was another story and I got tired of taking it to the dealer and being afraid of the reliability issues while far away from home with the fiver. I bought the truck in my signature new in 2014 and have been extremely happy with it. It has had several recalls, but they were all taken care of quickly by the dealer and Chrysler gave me a $300 service credit for my trouble.

Best of luck and please keep us posted.

BAM....Right on queue...

Nothing but the truth my friend. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I would most likely have bought another Ford if my 2003 would have been as good as the previous 2 Fords were.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
So I canโ€™t buy a new Dodge truck?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I can tell you since 2015 RAM has been very trouble free.

I tow 34-35k combined West Coast. Truck handles the load great in all weather conditions. I carry a 6k pin with my factory rear air ride. Truck sets exactly the same loaded or unloaded. The ride is much better than a regular sprung truck while maintaining a nice lower entry height.

The AISIN trans is rock solid. And are used in many other Medium duty applications along with the Medium duty CUMMINS engine.

LongHorn 3500 DRW Crew Cab, AISIN, 4.10โ€™s with factory Rear Air. You will thank me.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
jdc1 wrote:
I haven't read complaints from Dodge owners in quite a while.

Thatโ€™s cuz they havenโ€™t sold a DODGE truck since 2012 model year.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had a 2010 Ram/Cummins. It was good at first then it turned into a well, a Chrysler product. Got real tired of going to the dealer for recalls, big ones like steering linkage and they never had the parts. Last time in it was a fuel pressure sensor, my nickel. Trade it 3 days later on a 2015 Chev/Duramax. Never looked back. Chevrolet has been almost flawless to this point (86,000 miles). If I can Mom into it I will buy another.
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
blofgren wrote:
I was a die hard Ford man (my grandfather managed a Ford dealership) and had 3 Fords over the course of 20 years. My last one was a 2003 F-350 DRW Lariat 4x4 with the 6.0L diesel; I absolutely loved the Super Duty truck but the engine was another story and I got tired of taking it to the dealer and being afraid of the reliability issues while far away from home with the fiver. I bought the truck in my signature new in 2014 and have been extremely happy with it. It has had several recalls, but they were all taken care of quickly by the dealer and Chrysler gave me a $300 service credit for my trouble.

BAM....Right on queue...
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
always fords ,but in 1995 had a lemon diesel would start run fine, next time it would not start crank no start. after three dealers looking at it my dealer got me a new truck. same everything ,but this one started every time. I,d stick with the ford. every mfg makes some junk. p.s the 1995 had 6k on it as it went away on a car hauler.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
If the engine sounds smooth and normal I would keep what you have.
No fear

rich_and_char
Explorer
Explorer
For that kind of money try a Freightliner M2,
๐Ÿ˜‰
2011 F-350/CC/LB/Drw/6.7L
2013 Cedar Creek 36 CKTS "Pearl Edition" Trail-Air Pin Box
Pullrite 20.5K Super 5th