cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the TT too light?

thecasketlady
Explorer
Explorer
We recently bought a 2013 Ford F150 with a 302 5.0 STX with a towing package. Our camper is a 2012 Wildwood 26 ft TT. The GVWR on the camper is 7,805 LB. We are also using a Equalizer weight distribution hitch. The problem we are having is the tail is wagging the dog. Or the truck is all over the road with just a slight wind or semi truck going by. Is this too much trailer for this truck? Is the TT too light? HELP...white knuckle driving!!
21 REPLIES 21

tempforce
Explorer
Explorer
nope, one takes care of load the other for sway unless you upgrade to a dual cam setup. i had the easy lift with the dual cam and still used a friction sway control…
and use the truck scales to set your weight balance..

somewhere in the texas 'lost pines'

currently without rv.
'13' Ford Fusion
'83' Ford Ranger with a 2.2 Diesel.
'56' Ford F100, 4.6 32 valve v8, crown vic front suspension.
downsizing from a 1 ton diesel and a 32' trailer, to a 19-21' trailer for the '56'.

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
I have a similar setup (1/2 ton pulling 7800 GVWR) .. Depending how I load it up, I sometimes get this situation. My fresh water tank is right up front.. I usually fill it up half-way, and the issue is resolved. Later, I got an anti-sway device, and it pretty much got rid of the issue entirely.
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

camperfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you don't have enough tongue weight or your hitch isn't set up correctly. You need to go to the scales or find a reputable shop help you out. Also make sure your truck tires are properly inflated. Too little information given to speculate further. I know F150s which how towed units larger than yours satisfactorily in terms of stability. The new 5.0 should provide enough power.

Additional thought: If you have the Equalizer BRAND hitch you should be set for weight distribution and sway control. EQUALIZER is a well-regarded hitch. My personal experience with them is great.

As a simple thing to try:
Check height of front fender to ground before and after hitching the trailer. It should stay close to the same. It if is going up too much then not enough weight is beind transferred with the WDH. Adjust the bars if needed.

You could also try moving weight to the front of the trailer.

Good luck.
2011 Cougar 322QBS
2007 Pilgrim 278BHSS (Sold)
2023 F359 CCLB 7.3
2013 F350 CC LB 6.7 (Retired)
2002 F350 CC LB PS (Retired)
B&W Companion Hitch

DesertHawk
Explorer
Explorer
thecasketlady wrote:
Is there a difference between a weight distribution hitch and a sway bar? I thought what I have does both.

No Expert, but as far as I know: They are different.

The weight distribution hitch, I believe, evens up the tow vehicle & the TT. The anti-sway bar keeps it from swaying and/or helps stop the sway when it happens to start swaying. As when an 18Wheeler rushes by, etc.

Friction Sway Control Bar.

A Weight Distributing Hitch .

And both Weight Distributing and Sway Control Trailer Hitch System.

Does yours have a Friction Sway Control with the Weight Distributing Hitch?

If it does, try tightening the Sway Control down more. If not, you should get one.

Also, if the TT has too much weight placed in the back of it, this will take weight off the front; thus causing it to want to wag the tail end of the TT. Causing it to sway.

Our first TT came with both & we use them both for many years. With a heaver pickup (3/4 ton), we didn't need the weight distributing hitch. Always use the anti-sway bar.

Went with a MH for some years. Now with a small TT & just used a anti-sway since 2005.

If I have too much weight in the back of the Scamp, it tends to sway. Had to really tighten the sway control down hard, then. When I don't have too much weight in the rear of the Scamp, it is less likely to sway. I still keep the sway control pretty tight, just in case.
:CDesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

thecasketlady
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a difference between a weight distribution hitch and a sway bar? I thought what I have does both.

bldrbuck
Explorer
Explorer
You need to add a anti-sway setup to your hitch. Any good trailer supply can help you.
93 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel, DRW, Crew Cab. PullRite Hitch. 35' King of the Road 5er, 192 Watts Solar, 2800 Watt Yamaha Generator, 1750 Watt Inverter, 2 Trogan T105 Batteries, Me, my wife and 2 maltize furkids.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Time to go to the scales to see exactly how much it all weighs, and where the weight is.

As a general rule, your symptoms are those of too little toungue weight.

BUT, since you are pushing the generally accepted limits of a lot of 1/2 ton trucks...You really need to get the weights.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW