cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Issues towing 36 or 37 foot TT?

tim1970
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I are considering the Jayco 32TSBH or 32RBTS which means a 36 or 37 foot TT. I am curious if it will be possible to pull this length without any sway issues? TV will be a 3/4 ton diesel and I would be willing to get whatever hitch necessary to prevent sway. (If such hitch exists)

Thanks

Tim
2017 Jayco 29.5 BHDS
25 REPLIES 25

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 35 footer with a 3/4 ton gasser and a Blue Ox Swaypro and it is the best towing trailer I've ever towed. Get it set up properly and you will have no issues.

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
I pull my TT (see sig) that is around 34 total feet long with a 3/4 gasser and ZERO issues. Pulled it 3300 miles out to Yellowstone and back this summer. I have a Husky Centerline w/ built in sway control.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
tim1970 wrote:
Wife and I are considering the Jayco 32TSBH or 32RBTS which means a 36 or 37 foot TT. I am curious if it will be possible to pull this length without any sway issues? TV will be a 3/4 ton diesel and I would be willing to get whatever hitch necessary to prevent sway. (If such hitch exists)

Thanks

Tim

Take a look at the Reese Dual Cam hitch!. Best I ever used.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think you'll have any problems towing that trailer. My Outback is 35 1/2 feet long. With my cargo carrier on the end it's 38 feet long from hitch to bumper. Both truck, trailer, and cargo carrier and I'm right at a total length of 58 feet. Granted I tow with a 1 ton dually diesel with an Equal-i-zer 1200 WD hitch and yes!!! IT DOES tow like it's not even there!

I don't think the length will be an issue for your 3/4 ton either. With the right WD hitch, longer trailers tow just fine too. There are those who continue to argue to get a 5er, but not everyone wants a 5er and do not mind the overall length. Some want the bed of the truck free, or some tow with vans. There are reasons why folks want a TT over a 5er, and nothing wrong with that.

The secret to towing success IS a good WD hitch system. Sytems like Hensley cost an outrageous amount, but those who use them swear by them. With the RIGHT truck, you don't need that kind of a hitch system. Equal-i-zer, Pro Ride, Reese Dual Cam will all work very well. You do want to get a WD hitch system that has has built in sway. Anything with built-in sway will be a better hitch system. If it does not have built in sway, you'll need to get a separate friction sway bar. They are OK. I used one for years. But for the longer trailer, I found the Equal-i-zer has been great! But whatever you do, please do not cheap out of your hitch system and sway control. You will probably have $75,000 to $100,000 invested in truck and trailer. You don't want to cheap-out when it comes to hooking truck and trailer together. An extra hundred dollars for better system is priceless if it creates an enjoyable tow and ride! Towing should be a real joy, not a nightmare!

Good luck in your choices. Enjoy your new camper! "There's no place like home!"... on the road!

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
You should be just fine with that TT and a 3/4 ton Diesel.

The TT in my sig tows just fine with my 2500 CTD.

I use a Blue Ox SwayPro 1500 WD hitch.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
You should have no problems towing that TT . I would get the proper hitch with the sway control built in. I have a 4o ft 5th w and I much prefer towing my 34 ft TT. Properly equipped the TT will tow as well as any 5th w. I have towed all types of RVs in the last 55 years
samsontdog:o:W

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I think you'd be fine with a HD diesel, but I also think fifth wheels make a lot more sense when you get into those lengths. Not only do they tow better, they make for a shorter package going down the road. Just my two cents.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Itchey_Feet
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a 33' TT with wd hitch and it has sway retardants built in the hitch. We tow with a 1 ton dully and at times I have to check to see if it is still there.
My feet are fine as long as they are traveling.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
When my van broke a motor mount in October, the towing company sent their crew cab F350 SRW flatbed for my trailer. He did not enjoy the tow (I even hooked up the WD bars after he almost wrecked without them) and generally could not go over 45 and keep it straight.

OTOH - it tows fine behind my van but I can certainly tell its back there.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Charles2222
Explorer
Explorer
Have pulled a 36 5er and a 35 ft TT.Proper set up is the thing.Yea they pull and trail much different.If you do trailers then you will have no problem

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Can it be done? Yes, depending on hitch and tongue weights it can be done. But honestly towing that much is going to be a strain compared to a similar sized fifth wheel.