cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

it's under the roof

me_camper
Explorer
Explorer
Was on the ladder the other day and saw what looks like the head of a screw starting to push up on the rubber roof material from underneath it (backing out). My question is do I just leave it and keep an eye on it and wait till it pokes through too much? Or do I try maybe pushing the screw back in by tapping on it or putting a small slit in the roof and remove the screw and seal over it with lap sealant? Any ideas? Thanks
2005 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Crew Cab
6.0L,4:10
2011 Coachman Freedom Express 296REDS
22 REPLIES 22

skiles
Explorer
Explorer
Mortimer Brewster wrote:
X4 or me 3.
If you fix it you know it's done and over with rather than waiting to see if the screw works its way through. I can't imagine a screw ever working its way through an Eternabond patch.

No question what I would do.
2009 Outback 268rl
2015 F250 Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
X5 (or is it 6?) for me.
I would not leave it alone for fear it would tear through and I wouldn't notice it until too late.

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
X4 or me 3.
If you fix it you know it's done and over with rather than waiting to see if the screw works its way through. I can't imagine a screw ever working its way through an Eternabond patch.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
llowllms wrote:
gaymeadowsman wrote:
gbopp wrote:
If it was my RV, I would slice the roof rubber, (as small as possible) and remove/replace the screw, then use Dicor and cover with a piece of Eternabond.

If you just keep an eye on the screw, it will puncture the rubber during a rain storm while you are no where near the RV. Guaranteed. 🙂

x2

X3

Me too.

llowllms
Explorer
Explorer
gaymeadowsman wrote:
gbopp wrote:
If it was my RV, I would slice the roof rubber, (as small as possible) and remove/replace the screw, then use Dicor and cover with a piece of Eternabond.

If you just keep an eye on the screw, it will puncture the rubber during a rain storm while you are no where near the RV. Guaranteed. 🙂

x2

X3

bid_time
Nomad
Nomad
If it was my roof I would leave it alone and keep my eye on it.

gaymeadowsman
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:

x2
John 😛
Ted :R

in search of the next one
2010 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab LT
2015 Chevrolet Impala LT

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer