cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jacking/Lifting Trailer for Wheel Bearing/Brake Service?

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Hello-

Preparing to complete bearing service in the next few days.
Read owner's manual and it states, "Position a hydraulic jack on the frame close to the spring hanger."

I've also red of others using bottle jacks directly under axle U bolt shackles; perhaps their owner's manual suggested this.

When jacking, I would chock opposing wheels and may even attach tow vehicle for added support.

I have a tandem axle leaf spring set up, with an equalizer between each set of springs.
4400# AL-KO axles. My axles are BELOW leaf springs.

My frame has an underbelly cover and the frame is not completely exposed, (about an inch is exposed on outside edge), and rear axle hangers are several inches in front and about 15" at rear of where I could jack at frame (due to obstructions one frame).

Are there other SAFE options?

NOTE: The trailer will have to be lifted and supported for a few days while I work on bearings/brakes; one side at a time.

Also, where should jack stand be placed? This is not mentioned in owners manual.

What about those plastic wedge aids that you drive trailer onto? I've read mixed reviews about their ability to raise adjacent wheel off ground high enough to remove a flat tire. Read that they are only good for torsion axles and NOT for spring axles.

I can also make set of wood wedges using cut sections of 2"x6" that would work the same way as the plastic ones....but this may not work since the plastic ones appear not made for leaf spring axles.

Also, found this.... Bottle Jack Buddy

My jacking goal is to jack up at home and on road safely. Jacking would be for... changing a flat tire, servicing bearings and brakes, or performing other axle/spring work.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
27 REPLIES 27

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
My axles look same. I use a hydraulic jack on the U-bolt.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Andersen Rapidjack which functions as an "other wheel ramp". It works great on my fifth wheel with Torflex axles. We went to use it on my friend's trailer that had wide set wheels (more so than yours) and a shackle equalizer similar to yours. The Rapidjack would not lift his other tire off the ground. Make sure you have return privileges if buying one of those devices.

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Also, once lifted, where are jack stands being placed? If using a bottle jack, the jack would be in the way of placing jack stands there....(close to wheel).
Equal-i-zer 10K

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
Hitch up , pull up on blocks , work on the two axles that are off the ground , repeat for next set of axles .

Rolling up on blocks would be same as the Trailer Aid Plus plastic ramps. Only work on Torsion axles.

Do the blocks you have used under one wheel actually raise the adjacent wheel?
Equal-i-zer 10K

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
No need to lift a bunch on frame. You only need to lift axle an inch, with a bottle jack, or floor jack.

I have a 2x4 piece of oak, about 8"s long, with a da-do in center, that just cups a U-bolt. This works great at home, using a bottle jack under it.

I also use my Trailer-Aid plus, which will lift front or rear tire high enough.
Using some boards cut and stacked will work too, best if on solid surface.

Hooking to vehicle is a good choice, adding stability!

Jerry

Does that Trailer Aid Plus work on leaf spring axles? I read on manufacturer site that it does not.

Do you have a pic of the wood piece you use with bottle jack?

Thanks
Equal-i-zer 10K

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
No need to lift a bunch on frame. You only need to lift axle an inch, with a bottle jack, or floor jack.

I have a 2x4 piece of oak, about 8"s long, with a da-do in center, that just cups a U-bolt. This works great at home, using a bottle jack under it.

I also use my Trailer-Aid plus, which will lift front or rear tire high enough.
Using some boards cut and stacked will work too, best if on solid surface.

Hooking to vehicle is a good choice, adding stability!

Jerry

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hitch up , pull up on blocks , work on the two axles that are off the ground , repeat for next set of axles .

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Least effort and lowest point is from under the u bolts. Only have to Jack it up a tiny bit to get the wheel off. Vs having to potentially block up from your jack to reach the frame and then having to lift much higher to unload the suspension.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
klutchdust wrote:
There was a post about this recently that was rather amusing. it drifted off to the point of questioning what the poster knew about floor jacks themselves. Look it up.

This ONE?
Equal-i-zer 10K

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe in following the manufacturer’s recommendations.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
There was a post about this recently that was rather amusing. it drifted off to the point of questioning what the poster knew about floor jacks themselves. Look it up.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Our Airstream has a small aluminum square behind the axle to mark the jacking point.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
This has been beat to death multiple times here....
Cliffs notes: It's fine to use the frame, near the spring perches. It's fine to lift the axles from the u bolts.
It's fine to use any means of ramp/wedge/thingy to drive up on.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold