cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Janes Island State Park Aug 2013

DEcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone. I am dedicating this trip report to my DH Todd, because without him, I would be sitting home doing nothing. But with him, I am able to sit, relax, and take bunches of pictures! :B I LOVE YOU, honey, and this one's for you!!!

Janes Island SP in Crisfield, MD is a beautiful park. There are miles of water trails (and a sandy beach accessible only by boat) and one day I want to learn to canoe/kayak here. I've even seen people carrying fishing poles in those little boats! How do they not flip? :E

So, we left home with our new to us toy-bigger than a kayak, I have to work my nerve up to floating along in a smaller boat:B

parking lot at park

A small nature center next to camp store

dock with canoe/kayak rentals

canoe/kayak ramp

camp store

OK, here's the story ๐Ÿ˜ฎ ;): Todd getting boat ready to dock

Todd backing boat down to water

Me supervising

Wow, look...even kids in kayaks by themselves..

Boat docked (me still supervising :C

Todd parking trailer

Todd running back

Todd back in boat to move it

going to our slip (#1) Boat slip was only $3 a day--is that good?

Todd tying up

back at truck, Todd unhooked trailer

I feel bad not being more help (sorry honey...) and Todd doing everything, but I did supervise! So now everyone knows...

Our campsite

view of canal from our site

This site (#22) must have been meant for us because there is still a flag in it ๐Ÿ˜„

Todd always puts his flag up

I really love this view. I call it my little Africa because off in the distance (especially at sunset)these trees look like giraffes and elephants. So beautiful. On one trip here, we sat and watched lights moving 'differently' in the yonder night sky...UFO's??

A very rare sighting: Another TC! (we see very few around here)

We enjoyed riding our bikes through the campground (they have walking trails, but I didn't see a bike trail). I fell only once! Ouch! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Todd cooking dinner

Chillin' out watching the boats go by

Help! Mad Hatchetman! :E :R

We caught mostly small crabs (had to let them go) but we had fun

Boat dock is further down so not far to walk

Todd setting up our chairs to crab, fish, and watch the sunset

So peaceful...:Z

Sunset...see my elephants and giraffes to the right? ๐Ÿ˜„

Snacktime!

Yummy...

We did go out in the boat for a little while the day before, but this day we woke up to a cold windy day and did not want to chance going out. Todd also was not feeling well with a bad chest cold, coughing.

We spent the day watching movies, crabbing, fishing and relaxing. It was still cold and windy outside. What a change from the heat yesterday.

We could have gone exploring in Crisfield,which is a beautiful old fishing town,but Todd was starting to feel even worse, so we made a decision to pack up and go home before he got to weak. So we packed up...

...and did everything in reverse, with Todd bringing down the truck, moving the boat to the ramp, loading it up and pulling it out

The END :S

Thanks for sharing our trip!
Life is so wonderful!

Nina
Todd & Nina
2009 Ford F-450 4X4, Torklifts w/Fastguns
2010 Northstar Igloo U
Honda EU2000i (Camo)
13 REPLIES 13

DEcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, Todd is the greatest! Just like camping, we are new to boating, and Todd just plunges right in and we both learn as we go along--we have learned so much from all of you here just by reading your posts on what to do and what not to do.

Site 73, loop C, is right on the canal and our favorite, but very hard to get during the summer as it stays reserved.

Campn4walleye, Todd still has a lingering cough, so no camping this weekend ๐Ÿ˜ž However, we might go fishing at Martinak with the boat ๐Ÿ™‚ Having the TC on the truck is no problem with loading/unloading. The dock is really nice, and we probably hit the tides just right as he got the boat on and off with no problem. He's probably more scared of me driving the truck as I am driving it. But, you're so right, it's a learning process.

The rally at Tall Pines sounds like a lot of fun. We especially would like to talk to y'all who dry camp, as we would like to stay at Assateague, which has no electric. That will be our next learning step.
Todd & Nina
2010 Northstar Igloo U
Honda EU2000i (Camo)

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Hope Todd is better soon so that you can go out again. Great looking combo!

Can you not take the TC off the truck? It makes it so much easier to load/unload the boat.

By the way, the next step is to have you learn to drive the boat to take it off and put it on for him. I do it now all the time. Scary at first, but I've learned that we can do it. It'll take some of the pressure off him at a busy dock.
2011 Adventurer 910FBS truck camper,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD,4x4,LB,CC,auto,3.73 axle,General 17" on/off rd
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

DoneItAll
Explorer
Explorer
We've been down at Jane's Island SP a couple of times. Particularly nice if your site is right on the canal. Last trip include our children who all camp and kayak which made it extra special. It's a bit of a hike but if I can manage a 4-day weekend, it's at the top of our list.

John
John & Harriet on the beautiful Eastern Shore of Maryland
2008 F450 4X4 Crew Cab
2017 Lance 2375 Travel Trailer

pa_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for feedback,since its about 6 hour drive would like to go when not to crowded. Sounds like plenty of boat slips available. We go every year to a truck camper rally at tall pines Sanford Virginia,about half hour away,thats how we discovered Janes Island. You might consider attending next years rally good people lotta fun. Events ,barbeques,informative lectures on camper and truck repairs, pet contests,ended with fireworks over the water.

RickW
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for sharing. Hopefully, you will move up to fun in a smaller boat someday.

Todd looks like a 'can do will do' kind of guy.
Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4, 04 Sunlite SB

DEcamper
Explorer
Explorer
pa traveler We went from Monday to Wednesday and there were probably only 3-4 other boats docked.

If you look to the left, you see 3-4 boats. We were put on the right side slip #1 which is right at the canoe/kayaks. All the rest of the slips were empty the whole time we were there.

Another view--all empty slips

I can't say what it would be like on weekends or on Memorial Day weekend coming up.
Todd & Nina
2010 Northstar Igloo U
Honda EU2000i (Camo)

pa_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Nice trip report, we were there in april. Was there a lot of boats at ramp? Wondering if there were more boat slips available? Sorry to hear he didn't feel well.We were thinking of pulling boat down with truck camper,but want to go when its not as crowded.thanks

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Sorry about the cold but looks like you folks had a nice trip.

bigfootgrey
Explorer
Explorer
Decamper:
Janes Island SP looks like a great park! Thanks for the pics. Nice looking truck and camper. Love the Grady! We have a '89 Overnighter responsible for many family outings and many fish dinners! Great report,thanks again,

Bob & Cathy
2011 Ford F-350 PSD SC DRW
2008 Bigfoot 25C-10.4E
Firestone airbags - torklift stable-loads,fastguns,Talons Rancho rs 9000XLโ€™s.

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Nice report. I get tired just watching Todd running too and fro doing all that work. But...I do know that he loves it so and is following his star. Good work. You captured the flavor of the place.
regards, as always, jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

6pac
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent report ! Hope to go there some day.
HAPPY TRAVELING
Chevy 2006 2500HD 4 x 4 Duramax / Allison srw cc sb Fh air bags
Lance 2005 model 881 Max
Doriece & Ernest ( 6pac )

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nina, that's a great trip report. Captured all the highlights, including the elephants and giraffes that escaped from the circus and the UFOs. Heh. I must say that your outfit is first rate, that is a fine looking camp site, TC and especially the boat. You'll be out soon with the water, kayaks, UFOs and wild animals.

JayGee
Explorer
Explorer
Love the photos! Thanks for sharing.
Jaygee

2005 Bounder 35E on F53 chassis