cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jayco quality work at its best!

penguin747
Explorer
Explorer
While doing some maintenance on my new to me 2013 jayflight I came across this. Just makes me wonder, was he mad? Was it Friday at 5? Is this his signature?
26 REPLIES 26

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
My only issue with Jayco has been the fit and finish aspect. They advertise "Amish quality", but it's clear the Amish are not finish workers. I've bought 3 Jayco trailers new, things like misaligned doors, loose or missing screws on interior pieces, etc. Nothing major just annoying. But the overall construction is solid and well built.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

hl_remington
Explorer
Explorer
I replace my skylight and Jayco caulk covers the flashing and screws.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
The OP said he bought it new two years old, it had been camped in and it was damaged. If it wasn't leaking I think the factory did a fine job.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Vandalism at the factory is a sad part of RV ownership no matter the brand or $$ paid.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

penguin747
Explorer
Explorer
I really think we are gonna like the jayco camper. My point is, and I'm sure other have learned this is that just because it's new doesn't mean it's perfect.

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
Good preventative maintenance on your part but to me, it was a trivial mistake from the factory. You may want to pull your electrical distribution panel and make sure all the wiring is secure. I found a loose connection on the 12V side and a few wires that had too much insulation removed.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
penguin747 wrote:
rjxj wrote:
Doesn't add up. The caulking has been peeled back and is very white and fresh. If it was virgin, it would look like the caulk on the other area next to it. Maybe I'm missing something.
I peeled caulk back

Well... I'm surprised at Jayco. I had an older one that seemed to be very well built. Proves that it's good to go over a new rig with the good old fine tooth comb. Good that you found it. Better check all the suspension stuff too or it may end up with a shackle bolt stuck in a tire! ๐Ÿ™‚

penguin747
Explorer
Explorer
Iraqvet05 wrote:
penguin747 wrote:
Let me clarify, I removed the caulk. Me. I have had this camper in my possession for 2years. When we bought it had front damage and had been camped in maybe twice. Brand new camper. No one else has touched this camper. I removed caulk to put some eternabond on and came across this. No other screw hidden anywhere.

Then yes, someone was lazy and missed the flashing then covered it up. The guys that put the roof on my house also did that. Does it leak or are you replacing it for peace of mind?
Was putting eternabond on. Zero leaks luckily

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Might have been damage after manufacture, possibly in transit. Or waiting on a lot for transit and/or sale. Someone noticed damage, and fixed it without anything being said. Nobody had any reason to check.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
penguin747 wrote:
Caulk isn't the issue. Notice the screw?
I would say that it is - in this case its missing. I can't see the screws on my vent. They are covered by a thick evenly spread layer of self leveling caulk.

On edit:

penguin747 wrote:
Let me clarify, I removed the caulk. Me. I have had this camper in my possession for 2years. When we bought it had front damage and had been camped in maybe twice. Brand new camper. No one else has touched this camper. I removed caulk to put some eternabond on and came across this. No other screw hidden anywhere.

Sorry missed this. Well, then I'm eating my hat I suppose.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

penguin747
Explorer
Explorer
rjxj wrote:
Doesn't add up. The caulking has been peeled back and is very white and fresh. If it was virgin, it would look like the caulk on the other area next to it. Maybe I'm missing something.
I peeled caulk back

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
penguin747 wrote:

Then yes, someone was lazy and missed the flashing then covered it up. The guys that put the roof on my house also did that. Does it leak or are you replacing it for peace of mind?
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
There's a youtube video, maybe several years old, that shows them assembling travel trailers. They're moving so fast, it causes me great angst.

Quantity over quality.
And I'm still thinking we want one of their Class C's.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer