cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jayco "Aliner type" folding trailer

rvingnut
Explorer
Explorer
Just saw at local Jayco dealer a hard sided popup trailer styled like the Aliner brand. Went to Jayco's website and couldn't find any info about it. This one was called a 12H and was the new colors. Anyone know about this?
20 REPLIES 20

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply ElBesoBlanco, I didn't realize there was a furnace in addition to the heat pump, no problem then.
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

ElBesoBlanco
Explorer
Explorer
GWolfe, the heat pump wont work with outside temps 30F or below. If I wanted heat then I need to use the furnace when temps drop below 30F. The thermostat works great in maintaining heat when furnace is in use. (The Cool Cat heat pump A/C is all operated on the easy to use thermostat)

The A/C works great, but I have yet to use it regularly as the Cool Cat fans are super efficient in cooling the interior if trying to escape the heat. I also run the Fantastic Fan in reverse to pull warm air out. My 2000W inverter generator can run this with no problem, if neccessary (not A/C). I have done 3 days with no power in 100 degree days using just the cool cat amd occasional battery charge with the generator. I now have portable solar panels that regenerate my battery power but still love the lightweight generator as back up.

The gear deck is awesome! I like being able to carry home the dirty stuff (bikes, motorcycles, equipment, etc without having to stow it inside or take up room in the truck bed (I haul my two large dogs in crates in the covered truck bed)
Greetings from eastern Washington!
2012 Flagstaff T12SDTH (Hardsided Toyhauler Pop Up)

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
I like it more options and competition is a good thing. As much as I like my little pup I am getting tired of the set up/tear down and the foul weather protection. Since it is usually just me in the pup something like an A frame could work. I would worry about the heat pump/AC for a couple of reasons, the first being the AC on the floor, I wonder if cool air would make it up into the upper areas. The second would be getting enough heat when the temps drop, last time we were out the low the last morning was 8 degrees, I don't know how well a heat pump would work at that temp, that and probably needing a generator or electric hook ups to run it.

I would love the front deck to haul my ATV on, when I haul it in the back of my pick up there is no room for anything else.
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB, I'm anxious to see what you actually shake out for your upgrade(s). Be sure and post pictures of the progress and even any plans or drawings you come up with.

I am living vicariously through others' as life right now has put a halt to my own upgrades and mods. I seriously think camping (one of our favorite things to do) is in jeopardy this year. Only time will tell.
This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will be staying with older 2008 Starcraft 14RT R/T Series trailer. I have been complicating a "WAR WAGON" upgrade for my OFF-ROAD Trailer to include new batteries, solar panels on the roof with two removable to be used as portable panels on the ground, A different arrangement of the deck with a move towards better covered storage of supplies and emergency items...

We have never got into the just carrying an ATV - just supplies with our unit.

My ultimate goal to beef-up my front deck much like Australia did with this style of OFF-ROAD trailer...

Changing my front deck to something like shown here would really do what I am wanting to do with my OFF-ROAD trailer. My main box is a 12-foot box so the whole thing should really give me lots of room and a more safe and protected way to carry all of my emergency support supplies better.

My trailer not only supports OFF-ROAD camping but is my center for emergency radio communications operations in remote locations complete with easy up antenna support for long wire HF dipole/off- center dipole setups..

Been wanting to do this for a couple of years and with my present down spiral of the sir year old original batteries this is the time to start making my plans to come to life...

I just got excited to hear on here that the ALINER type trailer is getting some visibility and learning of a couple of different I should be looking at a few thing like the on-board air conditioner/heat pump and perhaps my hyrdonic hot water distribution heat source... I got just the spot to move my roof mounted air conditioner unit to the floor of my OFF-ROAD trailer with something like the DUO-THERM COOL CAT heat pump unit.

I was just surprised that STARCRAFT was moving away from the rugged beefed up frames their R/T OFF-ROAD series trailers originally had.

Like one post here said I already have the best plan for the beefed up OFF-ROAD trailer design with my Starcraft R/T series trailer. The Australia design for OFF-ROAD suspension has some merit as well...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

ElBesoBlanco
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB, my Flagstaff A-Frame Toyhauler has 6" frame under the body as well as the deck. The deck has a weight capacity of 650 lbs. The two rails come off and are used as ramps for ATV or motorcycle.

If you like the Jayco & still interested in an A-Frame, maybe check out the Flagstaff or Rockwood. They come with the Cool Cat as a standard option and the Jayco/Starcraft seem like replicas in floorplan of the Forest River brands

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just got some info on the frame under the Starcraft COMET setup. Looks like the biggest frame rail is 2X4 tubing... My OFF-ROAD 14RT has 6-inch tubing under the main body of the trailer and the deck and A-frame for towing is a massive 8-inch tubing... Have been thru a couple of rock bed creeks with so far haha...

One of the places I go to regularly up near a place called FLAGPOLE KNOB behind Harrisonburg VA looks like this. I cross this area just fine with truck towing my RT14

I did learn something else from talking with JAYCO about their DUO-THERM COOL CAT Heat Pump floor mounted Air conditioner made by DOMETIC. I think they said this COOL CAT unit has been around since 2009.

this is mounted in a cabinet in the high side wall of their new COMET ALINER type trailer. Has both air conditioning and heat. It claims the heat will run down to 20-30 degrees outside which may be a downside thing. I think I read it only draws 9AMPs for the compressor and 2.5AMPS for the blower. My 2KW Honda Generator would love that haha...

You can see the A/C heat pump installed in this CHALET high walled trailer.

This would really free up more weight on my electric raise roof and maybe allow me to add more solar panels. My roof mounted A/C is just right at the edge of working with my 2KW Honda generator. I can shut down everything and get it started but just as soon as it cycles the first time it trips my Honda breaker haha... I have run a 8000BTU home window unit from my 2KW Honda generator just fine...

I might look into one of these heat pump units...
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

ElBesoBlanco
Explorer
Explorer
OH I agree - he has a kick butt set up! If not for the two bubble windows at the dining area and the large one over the sofa/bed area, ours would definitely be slopey and small feeling. I forget other brand A-Frames dont all have the bubble windows on both sides - they make all the difference of small to spacious in a 12 ft box. If my spouse has to walk around inside, I will boot him outside to a hike or bike 'til he is ready to settle and relax inside haha. We also have more floor space because we chose a model with a pull out sofa bed - and keep it a sofa until we retire for the night. When I take ot out by myself, I leave it a sofa and sleep on the dining side. I use the trailer more than him since I travel to shows but he had input of absolutely NO consideration for a tear drop...it was too much of a rolling mattress for him. haha

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
ElBesoBlanco wrote:
LOL Mike Up - Have you spent any time in an A-Frame? I ask this in good spirit ๐Ÿ™‚

because I made the same comment as you did until I physically sat inside one and realized how amazingly deceiving the A-Frame is!

My spouse is over 6 foot tall and plenty of head room and space for him to stretch out and relax. Our A-Frame is perfect for one or two but would definitely fall into "claustrophobic category with 3-4 in it.

I hear that claustrophobic comment alot when I am at events in the trailer. I invite them in tp take a peek and they always leave as surprised as I was the first time I sat in one.

Yep, I did sit inside a few and the sloped ceiling and lack of walk room due to the beds being in the box really made it cramped. I also don't understand tear drops when a more spacious tent can be use. Perhaps for parking lot sleep overs?

Like I said, I had the same floorplan as his pop up and it offers everything, high ceiling height corner to corner, bathroom, 2 large beds, complete kitchen with water heater and room to sleep 6 comfortably.

Plus his camper is already made for off road. He has a great camper that few can add upon in capability, livability, and quality.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

ElBesoBlanco
Explorer
Explorer
LOL Mike Up - Have you spent any time in an A-Frame? I ask this in good spirit ๐Ÿ™‚

because I made the same comment as you did until I physically sat inside one and realized how amazingly deceiving the A-Frame is!

My spouse is over 6 foot tall and plenty of head room and space for him to stretch out and relax. Our A-Frame is perfect for one or two but would definitely fall into "claustrophobic category with 3-4 in it.

I hear that claustrophobic comment alot when I am at events in the trailer. I invite them in tp take a peek and they always leave as surprised as I was the first time I sat in one.

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
A modern Apache (plastic instead of canvas, pull out beds) would be about perfect. More room and secure enough to overnight in Walmart parking lots. Growing up, we had a Scamper with the blue plastic canvas; next best thing.
Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB,

You have the perfect camper as it is. I would never go to a claustrophobic A-frame from a spacious camper as yours. I had the same floorplan in my 2406. Obviously you don't have the canvas leakage issues I did. If I didn't, I'd would had never gotten rid of it.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

ElBesoBlanco
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB - I cant speak for the Starcraft, but I can tell you my Flagstaff hardsided toyhauler does have the beefy heavy duty frame. It is perfect for our equipment and motorcycles. Forest River has them with a sofa bed or a permanent bed set up on one side and a dining table/full bed on the other side. Perfect for is for camping, rockhounding and simple road trip travel.

http://www.totalvaluerv.com/New-Inventory-2014-Forest-River-Tent-Trailer-Flagstaff-Hard-Side-T12RBTH-Elkhart-Indiana-382273

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
This latest STARCRAFT ALINER type layout might fit my "WAR WAGON" inception for building up something like the Australia off-road trailer setup...

Building this layout into something that looks like the bottom off-road trailer photo.

I have a feeling the 2014 STARCRAFT does not have the beefed up frames my current 2008 Starcraft 14RT has under it. I have been thinking about re-working my present 14RT front deck into something like the Australia Off-ROAD trailer has on the front of it...

Interesting change of events taking place now in the US...

Roy Ken
Roy - Carolyn
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS