cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Dodge Ram Pickup

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Saw one of the new Rams today at a new car show. I can't figure out how anyone is going to to a 5er and have any bed clearance. I have a 5er we tow with a 2005 Dodge, having about 5" bed clearance. Our bed is 54" from the ground to the top of the bed rail and trailer sets level. The new Ram has a bed rail height of 60". How are you to tow level without having to put suspension blocks under the 5er? Our 5er is running on 16" rubber. Kind of eliminates the new Dodge doesn't it?
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member
17 REPLIES 17

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Well, I just hope the new 3500 DRW air spring setup does not try to maintain the ride height as it sets without a load, or 5th wheel towing will be a real issue. Saw a video of the 2500's air suspension and it tries to maintain height!

The 2500 will have a complete air setup and the 3500 a single leaf spring and air bags.

Chris

Beginning to wonder if and when the 3500 will get the air bags/spring set up...last I heard, manufacture date, from what I understand on the cummins forum has now been pushed out to 7 April....if then....

I'm not sure how it works, just one thing I'm not really interested in....

You say you are not interested NOW !

Just measured to the top of my tailgate 58.5"

I said what I said:B...I might get one of those fancy 5er's like what you have:)
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
NC Hauler wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Well, I just hope the new 3500 DRW air spring setup does not try to maintain the ride height as it sets without a load, or 5th wheel towing will be a real issue. Saw a video of the 2500's air suspension and it tries to maintain height!

The 2500 will have a complete air setup and the 3500 a single leaf spring and air bags.

Chris

Beginning to wonder if and when the 3500 will get the air bags/spring set up...last I heard, manufacture date, from what I understand on the cummins forum has now been pushed out to 7 April....if then....

You say you are not interested NOW !

Just measured to the top of my tailgate 58.5"
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ChooChooMan74 wrote:
Dodge no longer makes Ram and has been that way since 09.

But to the question, there are lots of posts on bed height on all the truck manufacturers. People are still towing with them.

Actually the trucks became RAM in 13. My 11 and my Dad's 12 both say Dodge on the dash. This was a legal issue from what I have been told. Maybe someone else knows the facts.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since rear air suspension install my 3500 "squats" 1/2 inch from empty ride height to fully loaded ... 6 in clearance to box sides to overhang on the toy hauler...

Turned left from an uphill street into a downhill lane ..."shouldda had 6 1/2 inches" I says, looking at the ding in the tailgate and box corner and scuff on the underside of the overhang... there is a skookum frame member in the trailer that is tougher than the tailgate/box tin 🙂

Coming back out we dropped the air and made it with 1/16" daylight to spare...

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
gmcsmoke wrote:
this isn't truck manufacturer's fault this is on the RV industry. for years and years they've made bigger and heavier f'vers and don't upgrade the ride height. Truck manufacturers have to fall suit with stronger frames and tires which in turn raises box heights.

it's about time trailer companies put 17 -18" tires on their trailers.

Just because a new truck has taller tires and frame does not in any way dictate higher bed rails. A few less cubic feet of volume in the bed isn't going to be a deal breaker for most of the buying public. And I guess fifth wheel manufactures Don't want to raise their frame height, especially if it means less bedroom height or taller overall trailer height. If RAM or any of them want to take the fiver market seriously, they will offer an optional reduced height box rather than just optional hitches and IBCs.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
I had 04 Ram dually, bought a '14 DRW RAM. No issues with a 2012 Voltage 3600. 6 " or so.

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I should rephrase the question. I know you can raise the hitch and get the clearance but can you do that and still have the 5er run level? Maybe I am missing something in the translation. As stated in the original post, I am running 16" tires on the camper and the truck came with 16's. Don't have a problem with what I have now but if the time comes when I am rich instead of famous :B am I going to have a problem.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
If I remember right, they all had the same problem about 15-20 years ago. The solution then was to take the blocks out from between the springs and the axles.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Gunship_Guy
Explorer
Explorer
I have plenty of bed/trailer clearance. I haven't measured because, after hooking up, I saw no reason to be concerned. Eye-balling it looks to easily be in the 6" range.
2017 Weekend Warrior (by The RV Factory)
2013 Ram 3500 Longhorn LB DRW 4x4 Aisin 4.10

Previous:

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 41'
2006 DRV Mobile Suites 38'
Volvo 770

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:

Chris

B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Bombfixer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2014 Ram 3500 with the 5th wheel prep pkg and a Reese 21k hitch mounted on the picture frame adaptor. My 2013 Raptor hitches up with 6 1/8 inches of clearance.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
45Ricochet wrote:
We have a member here who's RAM 2013 dually is 58.5" but what's a inch and a half between men :B My 2006 is 58" unloaded and with a little hitch adjustment I have 5.5" of clearance. It does squat a good 4" hitch up though.
Got news for you, go measure all three and let us know the results, I'm sure they are all in the same ballpark, give or take a inch and a half or so :W

That's the second time you've remembered that for me Rick:B Yep, my 2013, tailgate height, with the plastic protector on top of it is 58.5" high....I have the GN/5er prep package and the picture frame adapter, which sets higher than the rails one would normally use in conventional 5er hitch install....I DROPPED my hitch one notch to compensate for the height of the adapter...I don't have 6" of clearance, more like 5.5" of clearance, but 5er sets closer to level with this truck than it did with my 05 Chevy 3500 cc/lb dually, then the 2010 Dodge 3500 cc/lb dually and the 2012 Ram3500 cc/lb dually. I have a semi-steep driveway that I back into, no issues, I have to negotiate a steep curve just about 100 yards from my camp in WV, coming out, still had about 1.5" of clearance.

I agree though with OP, trucks keep getting taller (higher)...but, as far as towing a 5er, I've towed the same 5er with 3 different trucks and this one set's the "most level" of any of them and it's the highest.

I've done nothing else but to lower my hitch one notch, several other things one can do.In reality, Chevy, Ford and Ram have all gotten taller, (not just Ram), but it's not that big of a deal to tow with them, just takes a little research....as stated above, sure do see a lot of these brand new trucks out on the road towing 5er's and they look fine.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Dodge no longer makes Ram and has been that way since 09.

But to the question, there are lots of posts on bed height on all the truck manufacturers. People are still towing with them.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized