cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jayco Whitehawk 30'

travelsun
Explorer
Explorer
I've owned RV's for years. Campers, Motorhomes, and Trailers. We had a Jayco 22FB. Nice trailer, well built. Then we saw the 2013 Whitehawk line. I cannot remember the model but it's 30' with 2 slide outs one for the kitchen and one for living and dining. The coach has a Kitchen island, fireplace, 2 rockers, large living area, and smaller bedroom. We love the floor plan. I can look up the description if you're interested. Send EmaiL.

We've had nothing but problems with the 30' Whitehawk. It spends more time in service (repair) than camping (twice since last spring). Would we buy one again? No. Jayco will cover the repairs but this coach has many problems we feel it will not last 5-7 years. I cannot say much more only to steer away from this trailer. Any questions, feel free to contract me and I will discuss the problems. I don't want anybody stuck like we are. Thanks.
15 REPLIES 15

trailer_newbe
Explorer II
Explorer II
The way it's built. Simply, it's built cheap. Like I mention in the previous message, we had zero problems with the Jayco 22FB. The 30DSRE Whitehawk we will never buy another one like it again.

Well, this is simply a lousy answer for the rest of us, period.

We are on our 2nd WhiteHawk, and it’s not been perfect by any means, but far from saying I’d never buy another Whitehawk.

There are many lower quality models out there. I don’t think you have a good perspective. They are all cheap, in the mass-produced market, no matter what brand.

Just trying to understand the specific issues you have with your rig.
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

bstar1952
Explorer
Explorer
travelsun wrote:
MR MAC wrote:
What are the problems? The way its built or equipment.

The way it's built. Simply, it's built cheap. Like I mention in the previous message, we had zero problems with the Jayco 22FB. The 30DSRE Whitehawk we will never buy another one like it again.

My opinion only but my '13 30DSRE has been a very good unit. Probably have towed more than 20K miles and other than regular maintenance, no problems. Was going to trade a few months ago but after seeing what the trade-in value was, decided to keep it. Returned from a 2K trip, a few weeks ago, and again problem free. Personally, I would buy another if they still made them.

OP, sorry you've had problems with yours. Cheers....
Bstar1952
Bandera, Texas
2020 Ram 2500,6.4 Hemi
2019 (East to West) Della Terra 29KRK
Fastway E2 WHD Hitch

Sharland
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like Marco did not apply what they learned about the axles under their travel trailers! Heads up, if you purchased a White Hawk, 26rk, 2018, watch out for the axles, rear ones in particular! The rear wheels are toeing out due to taking turns!

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
travelsun wrote:

IMO this is hardly precise enough information to indict an entire trailer line. If the OP were to provide a list of what went wrong with his specific unit maybe the assertion would hold water. The rest is just speculation.

My experience with Jayco is that they are put together just as well as or better any other trailer in their price point, and there are bad units in any trailer line.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

Silver_Eagle
Explorer
Explorer
travelsun have your problems with Jayco Whitehawk been worked out. Do you have any new problems?

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Silver Eagle wrote:
Thinking of ordering a Jayco White Hawk 27DSRL. Do I need to order 15000 BTU ac unit or will the standard 13500 unit keep unit cool in hot climate?

If you order a WhiteHawk from a dealer, I would definitely order the 15K AC unit and the so called 'Glacier Package' (about $179). The package is geared toward heat retention in the belly, but I believe it includes the use of Reflectix bubble foil stuff in the belly and attic that could offer a little better insulating value in the summer as well. Check with your dealer to find out what the package consists of. It is available on the 27DSRL. We bought our WhiteHawk from dealer inventory with the 13.5K AC. Does OK in moderate temps, but I think you would might appreciate the additional cooling capacity in the summer.

PS: Parking in a shaded or semi-shaded campsite in summer when possible is also a big help! 🙂

Silver_Eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking of ordering a Jayco White Hawk 27DSRL. Do I need to order 15000 BTU ac unit or will the standard 13500 unit keep unit cool in hot climate?

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
fasteddie wrote:
Interesting, I just had the rear axel replaced on my 2012 whitehawk listed in my sig, the inside of the rear left tire was nearly bald, they sent me a new axel for free but I had to pay the labor pending their investigation of the cause of the failure, I will have to check to see if it was replaced with the larger size. I weighed the trailer on the scale and we were below the ratings at 3240 each axel, this is the 1st I've heard of this being a widespread issue. Ill be following this issue more closely now.

X2 on Bama Bluejay's post. I e-mailed Dexter with the identifying info. from the axle tags on our 2013 WhiteHawk. Dexter replied that the axles used on our trailer have the 3" tubes. They also supplied me with a pdf copy of their build sheet for each axle. Will come in handy for ordering brake parts, etc.

fasteddie
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting, I just had the rear axel replaced on my 2012 whitehawk listed in my sig, the inside of the rear left tire was nearly bald, they sent me a new axel for free but I had to pay the labor pending their investigation of the cause of the failure, I will have to check to see if it was replaced with the larger size. I weighed the trailer on the scale and we were below the ratings at 3240 each axel, this is the 1st I've heard of this being a widespread issue. Ill be following this issue more closely now.
2015 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi
2012 Jayco White Hawk 31dslb

Bama_bluejay
Explorer
Explorer
Well, well I did some research on our Jayco Whitehawk. Found some interesting info. from the Jayco owners forum. It seems the first year Whitehawks are having some problems with axle failure. First model year wide stance axle failure. Our whitehawk is a first year bought 2-2012. Stated the axle tubes measure 2 3/8" and are bowing and bending from pressure from wide turns. New models are now being fitted with a 3" axle tube. No recall yet but, some owners have filled a claim with Dexter axle and they are replacing with the 3". DH did a check on our unit and yes some bowing has begun on ours. Will not use our unit until this problem is corrected. Might be wise to check your unit.

Bama_bluejay
Explorer
Explorer
It sure would be helpful to give us Whitehawk owners a clue to your problems. We've owned 2 other Jayco's prior to the Whitehawk. I seem to be very anxious, since your posting. Would like to know if ours is going to fall apart before the 2 yr. warranty is out of date. You stated many repairs have been needed on yours. Hopefully you'll share more precise info.

travelsun
Explorer
Explorer
MR MAC wrote:
What are the problems? The way its built or equipment.

Bama_bluejay
Explorer
Explorer
We are also owners of a Jayco Whitehawk 27DSRL, bought it Feb. 2012, has been very dependable. DH had to tighten up water supply lines behind shower and behind the toilet. No problems so far. Would also like to know what your problems are.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
travelsun wrote:
I've owned RV's for years. Campers, Motorhomes, and Trailers. We had a Jayco 22FB. Nice trailer, well built. Then we saw the 2013 Whitehawk line. I cannot remember the model but it's 30' with 2 slide outs one for the kitchen and one for living and dining. The coach has a Kitchen island, fireplace, 2 rockers, large living area, and smaller bedroom. We love the floor plan. I can look up the description if you're interested. Send EmaiL.

We've had nothing but problems with the 30' Whitehawk. It spends more time in service (repair) than camping (twice since last spring). Would we buy one again? No. Jayco will cover the repairs but this coach has many problems we feel it will not last 5-7 years. I cannot say much more only to steer away from this trailer. Any questions, feel free to contract me and I will discuss the problems. I don't want anybody stuck like we are. Thanks.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Our ownership of a WhiteHawk 27DSRL has been trouble free to date. Only issues of consequence have been a water leak through the shower door enclosure and pan/panel seam, which wasn't even caulked at the factory and resealing the roof ladder attachment points on the roof. Repaired both items myself. All other systems and the trailer itself have been flawless since day one. Either you got a factory lemon or your dealer did a poor job of pre-delivery prep. Certainly hope things are resolved to your satisfaction.