cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SkyLight insulator

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
TL;DR: Where can I source a 24"x24" insulator/pillow for the NL cab over escape hatch?

My wife and I took our 2007 NL TC out last weekend. We had a few new "experiences" (read issues) that I am working through. I'm not going to put them all down in this thread so I can get each one answered more efficiently.

The temperature was nice during the day (mid-40's as a high) but did dip a bit at night (mid to low 30's). She complained about being cold, so I suggested bumping the heat up a notch or two. Well, that meant turn it half way up to her. I didn't realize until I was sweating like crazy. We ended up using a whole propane bottle (mostly that night). As you can imagine, that resulted in a lot of moisture/condensation in the air. The cab over sky light/vent is not insulated and as a result made a nice rain feature that night. :S

Does anyone have a source for a 24"x24" insulator/pillow? Camco makes a 14"x14" insulator that would be perfect if it were bigger.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Insulator-Skylight-Reflective-45192/dp/B0024E6QX0
20 REPLIES 20

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
Cold surfaces collect condensation. isolating cold surfaces should reduce condensation by keeping the other surfaces warmer. Isolated areas could produce trapped condensation so the removable vent pillow will be made with a terry cloth (absorbant/washable cover). It will only be used when needed and removed when home and oil heater in use.

PR_Connection
Explorer
Explorer
I open roof vent in bathroom and above bed a small amount and crack both windows on either side of upper bed. Turn the heat to 65 and done. Minimal condensation on side windows and zero on roof vents. The flow of air out of the roof vents prevents moisture from forming as water droplets on cold surfaces. As soon as air flow is restricted u will have condensation and it will accumulate on cold surfaces.......typically where we breath the most hot air.....at night in the bed!
2019 Arctic Fox 990 🙂
Fully loaded!!!

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
bkenobi wrote:
The cover on mine isn't transparent so not much benefit. I'm going to make a pillow and stuff it up there. 24x24x3" foam and a terry cloth pillow case. I'll put a 24x24 piece of Reflectix above pillow since that's how Camco does it. I bought a roll of Reflectix this morning and will have enough for the vent and under the matress. I might have enough left over to make some screens for the truck side windows too.

the second biggest heat leak is the door. this is what I do in the winter. Refletix attached by velcro

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
The cover on mine isn't transparent so not much benefit. I'm going to make a pillow and stuff it up there. 24x24x3" foam and a terry cloth pillow case. I'll put a 24x24 piece of Reflectix above pillow since that's how Camco does it. I bought a roll of Reflectix this morning and will have enough for the vent and under the matress. I might have enough left over to make some screens for the truck side windows too.

dtappy3353
Explorer
Explorer
would a piece of Plexiglass work with screen tabs to hold it in place? This method may act as a thermo-pane window. Plus....you get benefit of the light coming through instead of dark. Just a thought.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
ticki2 wrote:
Check under the reflectix in cabinets and under bed often , it has a tendency to trap condensation .

Thanks, but we don’t have a condensation problem at all with this RV. Never had.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
We use reflectix as well. The pieces for all windows, vents, and skylight are easily stored away.

I've lined the compartments, under bed, and cabinets as well at their outer walls.
Check under the reflectix in cabinets and under bed often , it has a tendency to trap condensation .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
We could feel cold along the edge of the mattress before. The mattress doesn’t fit tight. We don’t feel the cold in that gap any more. We figured we might as well do it. I know there are others here who do it as well with other materials. Every bit you do keeps the heat from running as much. Reflectix comes in larger rolls, so we went for it while we were at it.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
Does under the matress really make a difference? The matress seems like a pretty good insulator already.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
We use reflectix as well. The pieces for all windows, vents, and skylight are easily stored away.

I've lined the compartments, under bed, and cabinets as well at their outer walls.

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
For the vents you want to close up, just cut a piece of 1/2" or 3/4" foam board and trim to fit. Make sure you leave one vent at the top cracked and one lower opening. If you feel a draft from them, you probably have them open too much.

If you don't have thermal windows, add the foam board to the windows you don't care about seeing through. For the windows you do want to see through, cut a piece of acrylic panel, add a gasket and then tape them in place. Will almost completely eliminate the draft you feel by sitting by the window.

If I have power, I also have a small fan force 600 watt heater I use. Helps keep the cold at bay when it's on.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
I use an oil heater unit (radiator style) that I plug in in winter. I keep i at a temp thats almost comfortable (55-60F) which should always be above dew point. I checked this morning and all windows and surfaces are free from moisture.

From what I read and others here advised a couple years back, electric dehumidifiers will dry the air but since the camper isnt sealed, i will be drawing in humidity from outside. Heating the air doesn't remove moisture but it does keep condensatiin from happening (for the most part).

kayco53
Explorer
Explorer
Just thought you might find this helpful. We have a dehumidifier that we put in the unit after camping to remove the moisture. Really does help.
I mean the ones you plug in not the crystals.
2007 GMC 2500hd
2011 Creekside 23RKS

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
I kinda figured 14x14 was the only option. Funny thing is, I just threw out 3 couch cushions last week that I could have used as the foam for this. Timing is everything!