cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Just seeking opinions on a used Duramax

phone_man
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.coverthutto.com/Used-2005-Chevrolet-Silverado-2500HD-LT-4X4-CRW----Round-Rock-TX/vd/27421052

I just bought my wife a new car two weeks ago and saw this truck on the used car lot. For some reason I keep thinking about it. I currently tow a 8K travel trailer with a 2000 Ford Excursion V10, but have always wanted a true truck for multiple reasons. I have never owned a diesel, but I do know that some Duramax motors are more desirable than others. Anyone have an opinion or random thoughts about this year and model? Thanks for any response and I apologize if I am beating a dead horse in regards to the topic.
35 REPLIES 35

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
I feel our 05 3500 duramax is as good as new because it runs and drives like it is. 72K miles No need for a 6 speed as I see it. No need for an exhaust brake or a programmer.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

phone_man
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies so far. I've looked at a lot of used trucks in that price range in my area and the diesels and gassers all seem to have 150K+. I guess people in Texas drive the hell out of them. What caught my eye on this one is it is very clean and it seemed odd the previous owner just put brand new tires on it. I mean you can still smell the new rubber smell on them.

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have an 03 that I bought new in 02. 132,000 and motor runs great as does the trans. Have an Edge tuner on it I run mostly in level 1 for 40-60 hp more which the one your looking at probably has stock. Friend of mine went through two Fords and is now on a Dodge since I bought mine. The mid year Fords are the ones to look out for.
Learned my lesson to check the serpentine idler pulleys a couple times a year. Do that when/if you buy It.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

4bearhug
Explorer
Explorer
phone man wrote:
http://www.coverthutto.com/Used-2005-Chevrolet-Silverado-2500HD-LT-4X4-CRW----Round-Rock-TX/vd/27421052

I just bought my wife a new car two weeks ago and saw this truck on the used car lot. For some reason I keep thinking about it. I currently tow a 8K travel trailer with a 2000 Ford Excursion V10, but have always wanted a true truck for multiple reasons. I have never owned a diesel, but I do know that some Duramax motors are more desirable than others. Anyone have an opinion or random thoughts about this year and model? Thanks for any response and I apologize if I am beating a dead horse in regards to the topic.

Just sent you a PM.

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
phone man wrote:

165,000 miles is getting up there. The D'max is a 500,000 mile engine, but the rest of the truck will be wearing out.
Also, the 2005 will be a 5-speed Alison, rather than the six speed of later years.

And to Turtle and Peeps - thanks for you the matter of fact comment on the LLY. There are others on this Forum who think ALL LLYs will overheat. The "Official" number (those that had the service fix done) was less than 1%. That includes mine, which, while it never really overheated, used to kick on the auxiliary fan more than I liked.

The GM fix was simply to install the 2006 LBZ air-cleaner that draws cool air from under the fender, instead of hot air from behind the radiator. I've never heard the aux fan since I had mine done.

Not sure what rocket scientist thought hot intake air was a "good idea"
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
2005 will have an LLY engine in it. They are a good engine overall but a few, and I do mean just a few were over heaters.

I would pick this engine over the years before because those had very expensive injector issues.

The LLY is an easy fix even if it is an over heater.

Seems like just a fair price. Quite a few miles though.

Be sure to find out what kind of maintenance it had.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln