cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Karrier ST205/75R14 Radial Trailer Tire - Load Range D

04FWPioneer
Explorer
Explorer
We own an 04 Fleetwood Pioneer model 18T that we just purchase last summer from a family who had driven it cross country from Washington state. They were the second owners and it appears that the TT was purchased in Washington state by the first family.

She is currently riding on four Goodyear Marathon tires that are starting to show signs of cracking on the side walls. One of them has a slow leak. IOW it's time for new tires.

The specs are as follows:
04 Pioneer 18T - Curb weight dry is 4000. GVWR is 6000 lbs.
Tires - ST205/75R14 Load range C (1760) or payload of 7040 lbs.
Rim - Outside dia: 15 3/8", Bolt 4.5", Center 3.25"

**I can't say for sure but these may be the original tires that came with the TT as there were no records in the receipts for a tire purchase and the previous owners (VERY OCD) didn't mention it. Plus the spare was almost glued to the spare tire cover.**

BEFORE reading numerous post on the forums about tires I knew that I wanted to upgrade, if at all possible, to a load range of "D". I understand that this will give me a higher maximum payload of 8160 lbs. on the tires that my TT chassis is not designed for. The purpose of upgrading was to go from a 6 ply tire to an 8 ply giving more strength where I need it. Just in case I should ever overload the TT. The speed rating is the same so no advantage is gained there.

AFTER reading for hours I am now MORE confused than when I started. So let me outline what I think I have gathered to be applicable.

1. There isn't much room between each set of tires on each side or between the top of the tires and the TT SO I don't think going up a size is possible. I will stay with the current size.

2. From what I can gather biggest difference between LT and ST is the side ply, load rating and speed ratings.
There are few 14" LT tires out there and all that I have found have lower load ratings than I have now. Although they have higher speed ratings. But I have no desire to go faster that 65 while towing 6K anyway.

3. There aren't to many 14" tires with a load rating of "D" either. But there are some and the Karrier above is one that I have found but have read nothing about thus far.
4. After reading I think I want to stay as close to factory as I can with the exception of the extra load rating which I see as a win - win for just a few bucks more.

SO has anyone heard anything about the Karrier line of ST tires?

Thank you in advance.

L
19 REPLIES 19

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
04FWPioneer wrote:
Thank you everyone for responding!

I am seriously thinking of replacing not only the tires but the rims to. I just don't know what, if anything, they have been through or over. I know the spare was rust on the back side but just a bit.

So be safe I am considering the Etrailer.com white spoke rims which state a PSI rating of "maximum 65 PSI" and the Kumho Radial 857 tires in the 195R14. They have a higher load rating than the 20575R14 but just a few hundred pounds.

The other option, also from etrailer.com, is to purchase their Karrier tires in the load rating D. I need to call them and see if they will mount them before shipment. If they do offer mounting that could be the deal breaker.

We have no plans for a cross country trip any time in the future. Mostly limiting our travels to 4-6 hours from home as we mostly camp during long weekends. My work schedule gives me two a month. One of which is used for camping.

Finally.. I have to think about how much longer I intend to keep this TT before updating. After all it's already 9 years old and even though in great shape I found that my old truck didn't tow well and decided to invest a truck which is capable of hauling much more. I really wanted mid sized toy hauler to begin with but the wife found and like wanted this one. I'll give her a few years and then we'll start looking at some newer models. ๐Ÿ˜‰

L

Regarding the rims and whether they are rated for the correct load and pressure, some folks here on the forum have stated their wheels have the psi marking either on the back side of the wheel or even "inside" in the valley of the rim. Obviously you would need to have the tire off to see if there is a marking in there. To save the expense of possibly replacing wheels, it might be worth dismounting a tire and checking it out.

You mentioned rust on them. A few hours cleaning them up properly and some rustoleum paint could cure that issue if it's just surface rust.

If I were going to replace wheels also, I would consider going to a larger diameter if I had the room under the trailer for a larger tire, and if I needed more more load carry capacity.

If going to aluminum rims, Sendel is a popular wheel for trailers.

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
LarryJM wrote:
04FWPioneer wrote:
So from the replies I have 3 votes for Kuhmo, 2 for Maxxis and 1 for Karrier.
But then another problem was identified and that is the rims are also psi rated and I have no idea what the PSI rating is for mine.

SO I tried to look them up and found that mine have absolutely no name on them what so ever. On Etrailer.com there are some white spoke rims that look like mine and they are rated to 65 PSI. But I can't be sure.

L

Well add another vote for the KUHMO 857. I got mine back around 8 mo ago and 3K miles later all is fine. I did have to upgrade my rims for the higher pressure and I replaced my 205R75x14C with the 195R14 KUHMOs.

Biggest drawback is availability if you don't have a matching spare so while not a show stopper it is a consideration, but other favorites like the Maxxis have the same short commings. About the only Universal tire is the GY Marathons.

P.S. I'm not sure I would buy tires just based on the votes or popularity:W All the Maxxis et al supporters might just be away for a while like at a company picnic, etc. Also most of the GY Marathon supporters are probably hiding being afraid for their lives from those Maxxis crowd thugs. Now add to the mix the new Carlisle nylon cap wannabes and you have a fine group that can't agree on anything:B

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
04FWPioneer wrote:
But then another problem was identified and that is the rims are also psi rated and I have no idea what the PSI rating is for mine.

SO I tried to look them up and found that mine have absolutely no name on them what so ever. On Etrailer.com there are some white spoke rims that look like mine and they are rated to 65 PSI. But I can't be sure.

L

Well add another vote for the KUHMO 857. I got mine back around 8 mo ago and 3K miles later all is fine. I did have to upgrade my rims for the higher pressure and I replaced my 205R75x14C with the 195R14 KUHMOs.

Biggest drawback is availability if you don't have a matching spare so while not a show stopper it is a consideration, but other favorites like the Maxxis have the same short commings. About the only Universal tire is the GY Marathons.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
04FWPioneer wrote:
Another thought here.... or question.

Will a 215/75R14 fit on the same rim as the 205/75R14?

L

Its one of the more popular upgrades 14" C load range tire users go with on their smaller trailers.

Just a bit of advise on using the correct wheel pressure/load for a specific tires pressure/load ratings.
Never over inflate a automotive truck or trailer wheel. Each wheel have a max load and max pressure ratings for safety reasons. Over pressure a wheel above its rating and add a load is inviting a split steel rim usually around the bead seat flange or cracks to the flange or valley on aluminum wheels. Every wheel mfg warns about over pressure and over loading.

This from Dexter on their wheels ,

Dexter
Wheels and Tires
The wheels and tires should be matched in capacity to the axle whenever possible. The Gross Axle Weight Rating of the running gear will be based on the lowest rated component.

Tires are designed to be mounted on specific rim sizes and contours as defined by The Tire and Rim Association. Mismatching of these vital components is dangerous and can result in serious injuries, catastrophic failure or poor performance and reduced service life.

Tires of greater capacity should never be mounted on wheels of a lower capacity since most end-users will inflate and load them to the rating embossed in the tire. This practice can result in dangerous failure of the wheel which may lead to an accident. ****

Dexstar for example shows ;

14" with 1870 lb capacity at 50 psi
14" with 2040 lb capacity at 65 psi.

Other wheel mfg have their own psi/load recommendations.... for a reason.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

04FWPioneer
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for responding!

I am seriously thinking of replacing not only the tires but the rims to. I just don't know what, if anything, they have been through or over. I know the spare was rust on the back side but just a bit.

So be safe I am considering the Etrailer.com white spoke rims which state a PSI rating of "maximum 65 PSI" and the Kumho Radial 857 tires in the 195R14. They have a higher load rating than the 20575R14 but just a few hundred pounds.

The other option, also from etrailer.com, is to purchase their Karrier tires in the load rating D. I need to call them and see if they will mount them before shipment. If they do offer mounting that could be the deal breaker.

We have no plans for a cross country trip any time in the future. Mostly limiting our travels to 4-6 hours from home as we mostly camp during long weekends. My work schedule gives me two a month. One of which is used for camping.

Finally.. I have to think about how much longer I intend to keep this TT before updating. After all it's already 9 years old and even though in great shape I found that my old truck didn't tow well and decided to invest a truck which is capable of hauling much more. I really wanted mid sized toy hauler to begin with but the wife found and like wanted this one. I'll give her a few years and then we'll start looking at some newer models. ๐Ÿ˜‰

L

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
^^^^^ Good post Lowsuv. Well thought out and worded.

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming the Karrier are rated for 2271 # load capacity they should work fine .
Load Range D tires are only rated for 2271 # in the Kumho 857 size 205R14 if they are inflated to 65 psi . Same with Karrier .
If you only inflate them to 50 psi they are only rated for a load range C which might be a rating of 1820 # or so .
RV steel wheels have zero reports of failure on this forum due to overinflation .
CapriRacer ( tire engineer ) has repeatedly posted that an overloading of weight capacity of a steel wheel is of far more concern than failure of a wheel due to overinflation .
The wheel engineers have to build in so much weight capacity that inflation to 80 psi would not be a concern .
You can inflate to 65 psi with your steel wheels without concern .
The fact is relatively few RV wheels have a psi rating and those most often are aluminum .
When a wheel fails ( assuming no wreck ) it tends to develop a hairline crack often at a shoulder of the rim . The tire deflates and the wheel does not blow up assuming one is checking his psi often . You have a flat and the wheel will no longer hold pressure .
Some posters have gotten confused as to psi ratings for wheels when in fact those charts are to show the weight rating and the Necessary psi to achieve that weight rating .
The best thing one can do is to improve the load rating in pounds as shown on the sidewall of the tire .
Brand is less important than the load rating .
Either a Kumho or Karrier is a better choice with a 2271 # weight rating than the maxxis at 1820 # or 1870# .
As a bonus the Kumho are rated to LT criteria and a speed rating of 106 mph IIRC .
To answer the question about 215/75R14 tires mounted on a wheel that came mounted with a 205/75R14 , it will work fine .
I had a trailer that I did Exactly that .
No problems as long as your fenders will clear the slightly larger tire .

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
04FWPioneer wrote:

L

The same rim, but they'll be much wider.

I also vote for Maxxis

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

04FWPioneer
Explorer
Explorer
I just notice something too.. the Kuhmo 857 also have a speed rating on them. Both of which exceeds 65 MPH.

L

04FWPioneer
Explorer
Explorer

L

04FWPioneer
Explorer
Explorer

L

jadatis
Explorer
Explorer
The important difference between ST and LT is that an ST is calculated in its maximum load for a lower speed so more deflection allowed wich gives more load to carry at same pressure.
I once calculated it for almost the same sises and maxloadpressure for ST and LT and the ST had 15% more maximum load.

But its always better to give the ST the same deflection as an LT would have. And then even for tandem-axle use the maximum load for dual load ( so 4 tires on one ( virtual) axle).
Then even add 10% to the load on the tire for things like , pressure loss in time, unequall loading over the tires , misreadings of pressure and weight scales, etc.

Then the story gets different for your tires.
Calculate for GAWR wich is 6000x0.9= 5400 and add 10% for reserve= 5940 lbs ( 0,1 is for tonge weight minimum allowed in America).
Practice is that Trailers are always loaded to their maximum.
But weighing and then preferably per wheel(pair) makes it shure.

Old tires then 7040/1.15= 6122 lbs maximum load together of the 4 tires when they would be LT for single load. Then substact 7.5% for making it dual maximum load as is done in Europe ( America sometimes even 9% substraction) gives 6122*0,925= 5662 lbs 4 tires together dual load LT.

Then you need about 5940/5662=1.05x50psi=52 psi, so higher then maxloadpressure wich is 50 psi but allowed up to 10 psi by TRA.

If you now take the new tires with 8160 lbs maximum load for the 4.
Then 8160/1,15*0,925= 6528 lbs maxload dual LT for the 4.
Same sum 5940/6528= 0,91 * 65 psi= 59 psi to give it a save deflection of the tires, asuming D load also are ST.

With my caravan trailer tire pressure calculator you can calculate it more accurate but these will be the advice pressures.
With these pressures , asuming the load is realy to the max, still acceptable comfort and gripp.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I went with a higher load range when I bought new tires for my 2003 Prowler Lynx a couple of years ago. The OEM tires were Marathons (made in Canada) and the size was ST185/80R13 LR "B" (35 max PSI).

I never had any problems with those tires for all the time I used them (about 8 years).

I replaced them with Karrier Load Star tires, the same size, but LR "D" (65 max PSI).

I run them at around 55 psi and very happy with them. 2 seasons with them and no issues.

So, I like 'em... ๐Ÿ™‚

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:
Skip ! ....you almost disappointed me....it took 59 minutes for you to show up ! :B

....the data connection to Topeka must be slow today ! I hope you're healing well. Have a great holiday season.

Hahahahaha!

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer