cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kayak

MisconductOIB
Explorer
Explorer
Ok question for everyone out there. I am new to camping and this will be my first complete season and I was wondering do any of you guys travel with a Kayak for fishing or exploring? It would mostly be me and my 8 year old son and on occasion wife and 11 year old daughter. I am just wondering what would be some good models to look at and carry on top of my Expedition tow vehicle?
2016 Days camped
2013 Tracer Air 240
2012 Ford Expedition
33 REPLIES 33

cyberiankhatru
Explorer
Explorer
My wife hated my canoe. Sold it and bought a used necky manitou II tandem for me and my daughter. Wife still likes her Wilderness 12' Pungo best. We carry both on the Exped roof on a pieced together used Thule rack and used Malone Gullwing cradles. The Necky is a little too big for the J-style cradles we tried.
As you can see I buy USED every chance I get. Around here there are always used boats on craigslist. Rack parts can be found on eBay and CL. I needed a way to be modular so I set up an old Jon boat trailer or accept the parts as well.
One day I'll sell the tandem, give my Pungo to Doodle, and I'll get back in my BOB (big Orange boat - necky elaho). It misses me.

MOREDLEG
Explorer
Explorer
Here is our set up, Me, wife, girl 11, girl 13,
We kayak exclujsivley on Ozark rivers and streams. I guess I bought the kids their own yaks when they were about 10, they couldnt handle their own before that. I have a tandem sit on that I carried the kids on until they got their own. Ill probably get rid of the tandem this year and get a solo fishing yak.
We prefer the sit on, I think they feel more stable, and its easy to roll on,roll off to take a dip, they dont fill with water, so no bailing. They are heavy, but my Dodge 3500 dont care. I usually haul two on top, and 2 in teh back, except for long trips, then I take the trouble to mount 4 on top. Quite a site with yaks on top, and 4 bikes mounted on the front of the truck.
The shorter ones are more maneuveravble on the swift streams, the longer ones track better in slow water or lakes. You dont have to spend $700, unless you are going to get realy serious. I got an 8 foot sit on top on sale for$100 at Dicks last year, (just after I bought the same one for $199 about 6 months before) so watch for sales at Dicks...
2006 Dodge 3500 Quad Cab 4X4 5.9 CTD
2011 Keystone Hornet 31RDBS

RTrider
Explorer
Explorer
Here is my opinion.

You really need to decide on a couple of things before you start, or just leap in and then replace the kayaks when you get some experience.

A few things to consider.

* You will likely have to spend $750+ on a kayak if you are the least bit serious on doings some half day/full day paddles.
*There are a few different types of keels/or shapes that are out there. You choice is dependant on what you are going to do. A short kayak will do well in moving water and short paddles, but will be all over the place trying to paddle a mile across a lake. There are other ones that will track very well, but are difficult to turn, so they are great for lakes and not twisty streams. Mine has a round bottom with a skeg (a non-moveable rudder at the back) that can be put up or down on the fly. This gives me the best of both worlds. I can easily manouver in streams and I track well in open water. There are those that have rudders, but I don't have any experience with them. I think they would be more bother than a skeg.
* A 'sit-on' may be more stable in the water as it is usually quite wide, but expect it to be heavey and take about 50% more energy to move through the water. This is OK for short paddles, but on an all day outing, you will be very tired indeed.
*Try to take as many test paddles as you can and talk to as many poeple as you can. I spend a fair amount of time in winter in Florida kayaking and most vendors are a wealth of information and let you try their models out before you purchase.
* YTry to join a beginners kayak group. The RV resort I stay at in Beverly Hills Florida (Sandy Oaks) has a beginner club and a more experienced club. We have had more than 30 kayaks out on a single paddle.
* If you go cheap, you may not enjoy your first experience and give it up before you decide to get the right equipment. Like anything else, if you want to enjoy the sport, you need to be safe and comfortable.

Good luck. A great hobby!
2011 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 298RLS (Sold)
2010 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax Diesel LB/SRW (sold)
Equalizer Hitch, 1200 lb bars (Sold)
2010 Honda NT700A.
Rampage winch loader for bike in back of TV (Sold)
Some Pictures

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Kevlar Winona Solo Plus that my wife and I use. It is a large solo or small tandem however you care to classify it. It weighs 45 lbs. so it is easy to wrestle on top the truck.

The light weight is nice but unless you do a lot of portaging, a used Royalex or fiber glass is easier to come by.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

PapaJim
Explorer
Explorer
We travel with two Old Town 10' kayaks (see our profile). Note that the TV has been updated to a 2009 Pathfinder. We attach the boats with Malone Downloaders racks, and load with Malone Lift Assists, since spouse and I are both altitude-challenged.

the_happiestcam
Explorer
Explorer
We got this
Me ('62), DW ('61), DS ('97), DS ('99), DD ('03)
2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 axle
2010 Dutchmen 28G-GS

CG's we've been to

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
We use Thule rack and Thule canoe carrier bar ends. We only run the two blue thule straps doubled back and have battle tested it.

one minor, and one major accident and the canoe had not moved. That was on a k3500 crew cab with fiberglass hight top cap, installed replica rain gutter base, and thule hitower rain gutter feet. Oh how I miss that truck.

2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

cooper841
Explorer
Explorer
HappyKayakers wrote:
cooper841 wrote:
...The sit on top kayak or more safer than the sit in...

That's just wrong.:R

As far as as I am concern it's just let you get enough water in there you will see.
Dana Cooper
Chipper(Lab)
2007 Fleetwood Fiesta LX
2003 Harley Fatboy mighty hauler lift
2010 Kia Soul

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
MisconductOIB wrote:
Ok question for everyone out there. I am new to camping and this will be my first complete season and I was wondering do any of you guys travel with a Kayak for fishing or exploring? It would mostly be me and my 8 year old son and on occasion wife and 11 year old daughter. I am just wondering what would be some good models to look at and carry on top of my Expedition tow vehicle?

We have something completely different from everyone else who responded so far. We have a Sea Eagle FastTrack 385ft Pro Package. Fits anywhere - in the trunk of a car, bed of the truck, etc. - moves fast enough, is very stable (or else my wife would not feel comfortable going outnon the lake), has a deadweight capacity of 635 lbs. and also good for up to Class II whitewater.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

gheicher
Explorer
Explorer
I made some supports from wood 2x4s and fastened securely to the side roof rails. Using nylon straps to secure the kayaks down & side to side, and bungee rope for front to rear. Have used the arrangement for several years without any issues.

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
cooper841 wrote:
...The sit on top kayak or more safer than the sit in...

That's just wrong.:R
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

cooper841
Explorer
Explorer
I roof top my hobie outback rigged out for fishing,that's towed behind my M H.I would try several demo for rt fit kayak.The wider the kayak the more stable.The sit on top kayak or more safer than the sit in.A good way to relax have fun fishing and a fresh dinner.
Dana Cooper
Chipper(Lab)
2007 Fleetwood Fiesta LX
2003 Harley Fatboy mighty hauler lift
2010 Kia Soul

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
We have a tandem kayak, 19 feet long, after two knee replacements a canoe was a bit easier to get in an out of. So found a nice Kevlar one on Creiglist. Light 48 pounds and strong. -8 here in Colorado this morning so all the water is a bit hard to paddle in today. We don't fish, but love to paddle around and look in all the nooks and crannies.

boosTT
Explorer
Explorer
I would look into one of those jet powered canoe's or Port-A-Bote.