cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kayak

MisconductOIB
Explorer
Explorer
Ok question for everyone out there. I am new to camping and this will be my first complete season and I was wondering do any of you guys travel with a Kayak for fishing or exploring? It would mostly be me and my 8 year old son and on occasion wife and 11 year old daughter. I am just wondering what would be some good models to look at and carry on top of my Expedition tow vehicle?
2016 Days camped
2013 Tracer Air 240
2012 Ford Expedition
33 REPLIES 33

Crazy_2
Explorer
Explorer
We typically travel with 2 11 foot tandem kayaks, and depending on how many we need to seat we have 2 singles we can and have traveled with.
My sig pic shows our typical set up.
2018 GMC Sierra 2500 HD 6.0L
Grand Design Reflection 297RSDS 8200 Ish LBS dry,
Reece Dual Cam WDH

"If your dog is overweight, odds are you need more exercise"

OBSPowerstroke
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a picture of the kayaks (and everything else) I take camping. It's great being able to take all the outdoor toys, however I only haul all of this for long trips where I'll be in one spot for multiple days. It's A LOT of work loading and unloading everything off the roof of the truck, and I'm not about to do it for a one or two night trip.

The kayaks are Old Towns; not sure of the model number, as they belong to a friend of mine that lets me borrow them whenever I go out if he's not using them.
Josh
'16 Ford F350
'11 Komfort Resort 240RK
Portland, OR

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the posters who recommend that you consider a canoe. We've had the same Grumman standard 17' canoe since 1970 and it still looks new. Apart form its durability we appreciate is versatility. We're not into fishing, but we love exploring rivers, streams, and ponds in the Adirondacks with our dog. We can take practically unlimited duffel in the canoe so sometimes we pack tent, ice chest, et. al. and stay out a couple of days. I have tried kayaking several times, but paddling them seems to bother my back. Something that does not happen with the canoe. Also canoes are easier to get in and out of. Regardless of what you think you want, you should go to a dealer that can let you "test drive" several kinds of kayaks and canoes so you can sort out what really works best for you.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Try searching for canoes on craiglist. Either sporting good junk or 35 year olD Coleman ram x. Igave up and dropped the $1200 on the GGuide, paddles, center drop in seat, and rack parts.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Old town guide 147
I can solo it onto passat, but getting it onto the sub or any SUV is a two person affair.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
After you decide on one or the other, check craigslist for gently used offerings. Around here, many take up kayacking and decide that it isn't for them - and then sell their barley used equipment. Just know what the prices are for new and you can score a bargin - I did.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I went with a canoe. It can handle my wife and two young daughters. Use it for solo fishing, and river trips.
Easily with camper

or solo fishing

78lbs 900lbs carrying, canoe camp, nature tour, haul dead deer, whatever.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is a canoe for me, hiked on top the pick-up pulling a pop-up.

Now that I have a TT and new truck I am still working on the canoe placement. Probably back on the truck.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
We carried around a couple of Pungo kayaks on top of our truck's Leer cap for years. They're made out of polyethylene and extremely durable and relatively cheap, but heavy.

Getting them up there on top of the foam V-blocks was getting difficult, so we've now got a couple of 26 pound kevlar kayaks that are easy to throw on top. But a lot more expensive ... Swift Kayak

We have a canoe as well, but the wife and I prefer to have our own boats. 🙂
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

kayakcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
My DW and I have Swift Kayaks made in Ontario, Canada - http://swiftoutdoorcentres.com/ . They are light (my 13.5 foot is only 32 pounds) and very strong. The reason I bought mine though was the huge cockpit in it. Lots of room for me (240 pounds) and still has a large area to strip my fly line into. I didn't get the extra bulkheads as we only go out for the day and never overnight. Mine was shipped to me strapped to a load of used steel headed for our local steel mill. My second kayak is even lighter (I believe 24 pounds) and sits lower in the water. They are very stable in the water. We have a 24 foot Kodiak TT that we tow and the kayaks are strapped on top of the truck box.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
We always travel with two 10 foot yaks . We fish a lot in saltwater . Buy the big box knock-offs . Life jackets and whistles . We each carry two fish rods . No big tackle boxes . I only fish two kinds of lures , keeps the selection and transport a lot easier .

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
If you think you're going to spend a lot of time kayaking, I would highly recommend visiting a local outfitter and asking about their next demo day. That way you can actually paddle different boats and find out what's comfortable for all of you.

If you're just going to paddle a few times a year for short distances, you can probably get by with something cheap from a big box store. Remember to factor in safety equipment (PFDs, first aid kits, whistles) and paddles.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
For possibly four people, unless you want to carry two boats, you may want to consider a canoe. Add the dog and ice chest and you are good to go for an afternoon....or a few days. We easily carry a 16' tripping canoe on the roof of our truck with the travel trailer in tow (or two to three 12' WW canoes). Sometimes we also put a 12' raft, frame, oars, and drybox in the bed of the truck as well.

Happy paddling,
Steve

p.s.; please don't forget pfd's for everyone

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
DD has an older Necky recreational kayak. With a set of Yakima 78" bars I'd carry her kayak and our canoe on my Envoy.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is a google photo showing a single kayak mounted on the roof. You could probably turn it on its side and get two on the roof rack...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS