cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping the bugs out!!!

cyberiankhatru
Explorer
Explorer
We got in late last night and had to set up with the millions of mosquitoes that call the lake home. We couldn't get in and out of the door fast enough to keep them outside. aside from those magnetic mesh curtains has anybody got any other ideas? I carry a pedestal fan and turned it on blowing to the door. It seemed to help a little and it got me thinking: why don't companies make an RV air curtain like some commercial businesses use?

I'm going to try and retrofit something because I can't afford the blood loss.
6 REPLIES 6

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Not an end all be all by itself but changing your light on the side of the camper with a yellow bulb helps a whole lot to keep them from coming 'to' your RV and hanging out under the awning lying in wait for you.

I've spent what seems like hundreds of dollars trying to find a bug repellant that works and won't kill me. This is what I finally found that actually works naturally. I don't use anything but this and my RV is free of skeeters. I use it on the dogs and myself too.

I use a horse spray made with natural marigold and spray around the front door and the steps, "under the awning"(this is where they hang out waiting for you to come home to open the door), under chairs and picnic tables.

This stuff WORKS. And is natural/safe to use compared to all other bug repellents. If you can't find this any 'citronella oil' horse spray works also. Tractor supply carries them and they are very inexpensive.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Have used the Off! 'fogger' (think it is now called Deck & Patio) with great success. Went to St. George Island SP, Florida in mid-August 3 years ago. Skeeters were so bad at the campsite could barely get out of the truck to set up. Got a can of the Off! product from the trailer, one lap around the campsite and the little buggers were no problem for about 3-4 hours. Just have to occasionally repeat the 'bombing'.

kmbelt
Explorer
Explorer
Citronella has never worked for skeeters for me. I use a ThermaCell, one towards front of rig and one towards rear of rig.

ThermaCell
2014 Ram 2500, 6.4 Hemi, CC, 4x4
2010 Puma 259RBSS

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Many Rvers have adated a screen tent to include a passageway into the RV.

We keep a light hanging at the rear of the RV with the lights out inside the RV until the door is closed. Citronella and Bug spray help.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
You could try some citronella around the exterior, near the door. The fan is a good accessory. I know a guy that uses big fans with a mesh cover that traps them when he has his overhead door open in the shop.

The awful truth is that skeeters will get into about any area they want if the right light, heat, or odor is emanating. I've seen grown men cry.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton