Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping the cushion on the table bed!

92GreenYJ
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys,

So I am looking for some ideas on how to keep the cushion in place on the table when it’s down in sleeping position. My camper has the table with the wrap around bench on 3 sides. Take the legs off and drop the table top down onto the grooves and throw the extra cushion on the table top and it becomes a bed. The issue I am having is that my 3 year old has been waking up on the hard table top with that cushion on the camper floor. It just doesn’t stay put. I had the same issue one time when I was relaxing on it watching a movie. The cushion just kept sliding out of place until I was sitting in a divot between them.

Looking to see what others have done to solve this problem before our next desert trip in a few weeks.
10 REPLIES 10

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
'Sticky' style yoga mat, may be available at the dollar store.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
My table bed is slightly wider than a twin bed . I have found that using the perforated rubber shelf liner on the table top and twin fitted sheet holds the cushions together nicely . If the twin doesn't fit tight try a bunk sheet .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Yukoners
Explorer
Explorer
DW sewed up a tight sheath from a flannel sheet, bit of a pain to slide the cushions in every night but it worked for our two girls.
2006 GMC 3500 4x4 Duramax/Allison SRW LB CC Helwig Sway Bars, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone airbags, Rickson 19.5", Bridgestone M729F 225s, Airraid CAI, Lightforce driving lights.
2012 Arctic Fox 990 Torklift tie downs, Fast guns, Foxlanding, 2500 Onan gennie

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
How about wrapping the table top with a sheet before dropping it down so it’s less slick?
If that alone doesn’t work, add some Velcro to the sheet and bottom of the cushion. The sheet pinches under the table edges and the cushion attaches to the sheet.

Or sew a couple straps onto the bottom of the cushion that you trap under the table edge.

92GreenYJ
Explorer
Explorer
Bath mat sounds like a good idea. And I have one I can try without buying anything. Much simpler than where my head was at on it. I was debating attaching some L brackets to the bottom of the table and maybe using the toddler safety rail from her crib (before I converted it up the the standard bed) to make a side that I could attach and detach quickly. That would sure keep the cushion in place and give the double benefit of keeping her from rolling off the bed. Would be awkward for use as a day bed for watching movies though.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
The shelf liner doesn't tend to have enough holding power to compete with a person's weight pushing against the slick surface. It ends up with the liner and cushion sliding off the table as one unit. The liner hold the cushion to itself but not to the table. It's cheap enough to try, but I remember they marketed it to keep couch cushions in place and it was terrible at that.

That's why I'm thinking the rubber bath mat. With the suction cups on one side, that will keep the mat connected to the table. Then the rubber will hold the cushion to it.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
The fitted sheet seems would work. Possibly couple rolls of of non slip shelf/drawer liner? Dollar store has 12"x60" rolls. If you have gap between cushions when laid out, block of foam to fill.
Ours are fairly snug but just sitting they like to slide out, shelf liner helped. I don't know about a 'squimmer' though, Our youngest till he was about 5 couldn't keep blankets or him on the bed.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine fits really tight together. How about replacing the foam with more firm? How about making a cover or using a fitted sheet to hold it together?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
As Toes mentioned, great idea on the tub mat or we used velcro on the vertical edges of the seat cushions on the benches and the edges of the cushion that laid on the center to make them all act more or less as a single unit.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Get a tub mat - the rubber one and put it on the table, then put the cushion on top of that. If that doesn't stop it, then add some strips of velcro to the top of the mat.

The mat will suction to the tabletpp without marring the table. The rubber should hold the cushion firm, but if not then the velcro will hold it.

You can try those rug thingies that hold throw rugs still, but I find they don't work that well.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)