cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Keystone Hideout vs Dutchmen Coleman

blderman
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I went to the Portland RV show this weekend originally intending on making a final decision on a Nash 25C. However, after reviewing pricing we decided the Nash was out of our budget. Our next favorite floorplan that was much more in our price range is the Hideout 24bhswe. We also found that the Coleman 244bh is very similar with some slight changes. Is there any difference in quality/manufacturing between the two models? They appear to be coming from almost the exact same design/factory. Am I going to be disappointed with either one of these quality wise vs the Nash? I know Nash is near top of the line so that may be a loaded question. I appreciate any help you can provide!
1 DW
2 DS
1 DD
Jayco 23BHS on order as of 3/19/15
2014 F150 SCREW LB 4x4 Ecoboost Max Tow (Beats my 02 7.3 PS hands down)
Can't wait for bow season!
13 REPLIES 13

blderman
Explorer
Explorer
chevyman2 wrote:
Well NASH (Northwoods MFG) is a very good quality product. However you was asking about a Dutchmen and a Keystone. BTW both are THOR products. Keystone is generally a "better quality" line than Dutchmen, but as I said, both are Thor, and we see more Thor products in for repair, than anything else.

On the above post you mention $20k is your spending limit. Did you look at any Jayco/Starcraft products? They are generally a bit better quality than Dutchmen and most Keystone. (Please no tongue lashing here). Im simply saying that we dont get too many Jayco products in for repair. Forest River stuff varies greatly, they have very low line stuff, and very high line stuff. Heartland is also a Thor product, but a general mid to high range product.

So we have actually decided to buy a Jayco 23MBH Elite. Is it worth the extra $2,000 to get fiberglass siding. It looks much nicer but I am not convinced its a better quality product. My dad's 2013 Kodiak had a minor leak and caused the whole front of the trailer to delaminate. With aluminum if something gets damaged it's easily replaced.
1 DW
2 DS
1 DD

hgpezi
Explorer
Explorer
blderman wrote:
My wife and I went to the Portland RV show this weekend originally intending on making a final decision on a Nash 25C. However, after reviewing pricing we decided the Nash was out of our budget. Our next favorite floorplan that was much more in our price range is the Hideout 24bhswe. We also found that the Coleman 244bh is very similar with some slight changes. Is there any difference in quality/manufacturing between the two models? They appear to be coming from almost the exact same design/factory. Am I going to be disappointed with either one of these quality wise vs the Nash? I know Nash is near top of the line so that may be a loaded question. I appreciate any help you can provide!

It is not really a surprice that the floorplan is almost identical, because Dutchmen/colman is a part of Keystone.

blderman
Explorer
Explorer
chevyman2 wrote:
Well NASH (Northwoods MFG) is a very good quality product. However you was asking about a Dutchmen and a Keystone. BTW both are THOR products. Keystone is generally a "better quality" line than Dutchmen, but as I said, both are Thor, and we see more Thor products in for repair, than anything else.

On the above post you mention $20k is your spending limit. Did you look at any Jayco/Starcraft products? They are generally a bit better quality than Dutchmen and most Keystone. (Please no tongue lashing here). Im simply saying that we dont get too many Jayco products in for repair. Forest River stuff varies greatly, they have very low line stuff, and very high line stuff. Heartland is also a Thor product, but a general mid to high range product.

We did look at the Jayco and Starcraft but both of them seem to sit about 6-10" lower which would be problematic with the dispersed camping we do. Plus my wife is really set on the 24bhswe floor plan, however if we are going to have nothing but problems with a Keystone product then I will not buy one.
1 DW
2 DS
1 DD

chevyman2
Explorer
Explorer

Tim-DW(Kathy)
12 Chevy Sonic DD, 03 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE, 2001 Jayco KIWI
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream-then I am living the dream

blderman
Explorer
Explorer
scbwr wrote:
If I'm looking at the correct models, the Coleman has a slideout, the Hideout doesn't. I would opt for the slide out as it really helps with space on smaller trailers. When we were looking at trailers, the Coleman line was what I would consider a entry level trailer, which explains why it is priced far lower than a Nash. Not knowing your budget, I would suggest you consider the Winnebago Minnie line. I would say that the quality is better than the Coleman and prices tend to be lower than Lance. The bunkhouse model that may meet your needs is:
Winnebago Minnie with bunks
Look at the link for the 2451BHS

You should be able to purchase one for 24K or less. As another option, take a look at units by Jayco or Starcraft which come with a 2 year warranty. The Jayco Jayflight line is a pretty solid line of trailers. In any event, I'd look at other units and compare them to the Coleman.

The Hideout also has a slideout, they are basically the exact same trailer only the bathroom and outdoor kitchens are slightly different. I would love to be able to buy a higher quality model but anything over 20k is just out of our price range right now. And as I mentioned our current 1986 trailer is starting to cost more money fixing than its worth. I would think that the Hideout/Coleman has to be equal to or greater quality than the construction of my 86 trailer?
1 DW
2 DS
1 DD

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I'm looking at the correct models, the Coleman has a slideout, the Hideout doesn't. I would opt for the slide out as it really helps with space on smaller trailers. When we were looking at trailers, the Coleman line was what I would consider a entry level trailer, which explains why it is priced far lower than a Nash. Not knowing your budget, I would suggest you consider the Winnebago Minnie line. I would say that the quality is better than the Coleman and prices tend to be lower than Lance. The bunkhouse model that may meet your needs is:
Winnebago Minnie with bunks
Look at the link for the 2451BHS

You should be able to purchase one for 24K or less. As another option, take a look at units by Jayco or Starcraft which come with a 2 year warranty. The Jayco Jayflight line is a pretty solid line of trailers. In any event, I'd look at other units and compare them to the Coleman.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

blderman
Explorer
Explorer
Cheyenps wrote:
All things considered, I believe I'd try to find a second hand Nash if that is what you really want.

That's what we have been trying to do for the past year but the only floorplan we like that works for my truck is the 25C which is a fairly new model so the used ones are still 20k+.
1 DW
2 DS
1 DD

blderman
Explorer
Explorer
Earl E wrote:
We now have a Hideout and are very happy with it for our up to two months jaunts in the summer and many 4-6 day trips during the year. Does it compare to our Arctic Fox that we full-timed in? No way. I sometimes miss this comfort, higher quality furniture, and big frame, but I enjoy the easier towing, small footprint, etc. You just have to decide what is important to you. Compare a Chevy and a Caddy...it's all about what you want. Neither is better or worse...just all about what you want.

Thank you for your input, much appreciated.
1 DW
2 DS
1 DD

Cheyenps
Explorer
Explorer
All things considered, I believe I'd try to find a second hand Nash if that is what you really want.
Steve

2008 Thor California Summit 26RLS
2003 Ford F-350 SRW Crew Cab Utility

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
We now have a Hideout and are very happy with it for our up to two months jaunts in the summer and many 4-6 day trips during the year. Does it compare to our Arctic Fox that we full-timed in? No way. I sometimes miss this comfort, higher quality furniture, and big frame, but I enjoy the easier towing, small footprint, etc. You just have to decide what is important to you. Compare a Chevy and a Caddy...it's all about what you want. Neither is better or worse...just all about what you want.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

blderman
Explorer
Explorer
We were in the Apache section around 1-2pm.

I should restate my question. I know the Nash is much better but we just can't swing the cost and our 1986 Terry Taurus is on its last years. However that old trailer has held up well on over 60 nights of camping primarily in the Ochoco and Blue Mountains. I would think even the Hideout line is built better than an 80's era trailer? I wish one of these trailer lines would offer a bare bones featured, but rock solid trailer with the floor plan we like. It's like it's cheap with nothing or super expensive but you get everything. I would prefer the way they do cars, the same chassis and general structure but different grades of features.
1 DW
2 DS
1 DD

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
I was at the same show, probably pumped into each other at the Apache Camping area some time. Anyways, My wife and I were just looking and I'm really sold on the Outdoors RV/Northwood brands but finances are about 1 to 2 years out before we can commit. I'm personally looking hard at the Cedar Creek or Timber Ridge lines (maybe an Arctic Fox). However, I like comparing features and seeing what innovation all the companies are bringing as the years go by. It seems like the more basic trailers by other brands have made some good strides in overall construction, but I notice more things on the Northwood products that keep them a better trailer. For Northwood/Outdoors, I see far more screws being used in the exposed joists. I also see a more uniform application of brads in the places they are used. I also noticed that they use thicker wood all around, especially under the bed. The floors don't bow/warp as much when pushing down in one spot on the floor (one of the checks my wife and I developed). The frames are absolutely massive compared to the other brands as well (and you get a massive increase in tow weight because of that). If you're going on those forest roads in the cascade lakes region, you'll appreciate that extra durability. However, if you're not going far off the beaten path, I don't think you'll miss much. It all depends on the type of camping you're going to subject your equipment to.
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
There is no comparison between the Nash and the Coleman/Dutchman! Nash is much better quality!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!